Occasional Responder
AndreaAu
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎03-07-2011

How often should meters be replaced?

I was wondering how often I should be replacing my test meter? I am still using the same one I was given when I was diagnosed in 2007, I've heard they should be replaced periodically but didn't know how often that should be, yearly, every few years, etc.

Thanks in advance

Type 2 diabetic
Metformin 500mg twice a day
Diet/Exercise
Diagnosed December, 2007
Last A1C: 6.4
Frequent Responder
porkee
Total Posts: 57
Registered on: ‎12-16-2012

Re: How often should meters be replaced?

Since you didn't mention which brand/model meter in question I cannot comment on what you "heard". I've been using the Lifescan [J&J] Ultra One Touch Mini since 2006. This is my primary unit. In 2009, I got another freebie as a backup. Periodically I will test using BOTH meters to verify the '06 unit results are +/- 10 mg/dl within each other. I just obtained another freebie, a One Touch Verio IQ meter which I'm not keen on, the lancet is too fine but that's another story. Meters are inexpensive so why not get a backup?

Medicinal Induced T2'er since 2004
2.5 mg Glipizide
1.5 mg Prograf

5 feet 7 inches, 136-141 lbs
04/13 - Fasting/A1c 133/6.3 [aiming for 5.4%]

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,548
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Some people say every 3 years, though I have had good luck for longer stretches than that, and some people have gone longer than you have.

If you are insured, they will cove the cost of a new meter every so often; if not, the maker of your current meter may wish to send you another one to get you up to date, and keep you as a customer. But look those gift horses in the mouth if cost is an issue--you may be able to save on test strips if you buy a different meter, which won;t cost a whole lot compared to the strips every month...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I've been using the same one for over 11 years.  I have other ones, but like this one better.  I still works well and the only thing I've had to do is change the battery.  As long as it works, I'm using it.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
AndreaAu

Thank you for replying, I have a Freestyle Freedom, recently it has been giving me really low results (for example, 46, 49, 55). Today my fasting was 99, I had a waffle and bacon for breakfast. When I tested after an hour and a half, my results were 93, so I was beginning to suspect my meter or strips were bad.  Recently my insurance provider changed and the new one will not cover my test strips, so I was contemplating changing meters anyway.

Type 2 diabetic
Diet/Exercise
Diagnosed December, 2007
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,804
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

I have an AccuChek meter that I've been using for about 14 years and it's still fine.

I have a couple of others I've gotten over the years, but I've only used them till I run out of the free sample strips 'cause I really like my AccuChek.

Unfortunately, I'll have to give it up soon because it's been discontinued. AccuChek has already sent me a new meter (Aviva) which I've tried and it's okay, but I'm using my old one till there are no more strips available (or it quits working right, whichever comes first...probably no more strips available!).

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Responder
PastTense
Total Posts: 20
Registered on: ‎02-27-2013

One thing is that it seems the newer meters don't  require as much blood as the older meters. Anyone have any data on this?

Frequent Responder
lrf631
Total Posts: 73
Registered on: ‎12-01-2011

[ Edited ]

I had a One Touch UltraSmart meter that I  used for years stopped working this month. One Touch discontinued the meter  in Dec. 2012 & the meter is no longer being made.

I am now using the One Touch Ultra 2 meter. The test strips I use for the Ultra 2 are the same strips I use for my backup meter, the One Touch Ultra Mini.

Lisa

Type 2 d 10/2010 A1c- 8.1

A1c 5/9/2012 -5.4
A1c -12/2011 -5.2

a1c ... 5.3 ! 12/10/2012

a1c 5.5 3/13/2013
a1c 5.4 6/28/2013

Newest A1c -5.4 10/9/2013

Precose 50 mg.

Eating low carb & working out alot.

Occasional Responder
AndreaAu

I went through the memory on my meter and I am starting to think it is just a bad batch of test strips as the inconsistent readings began about the same time as I opened the last bottle of strips.  I went ahead and purchased a Relion meter/strips since I am now paying out of pocket, but will keep the Freestyle as a backup if we ever change insurance companies again and they pay for the strips. :smileyhappy:

Type 2 diabetic
Diet/Exercise
Diagnosed December, 2007
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,040
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,592
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

AndreaAu wrote:

I was wondering how often I should be replacing my test meter? I am still using the same one I was given when I was diagnosed in 2007, I've heard they should be replaced periodically but didn't know how often that should be, yearly, every few years, etc.

Thanks in advance

I change up every few years, but rarely for need. They discontinued strips for my first Accu-chek Active in this country so I had to make a change when that happened. Since then I've mainly changed when I got bored with the old one, or, as I did a couple of weeks ago, I thought I left my meter at home while on holiday. Consequently I now have a Freestyle lite to compare with my Accu-chek Performa Nano. That's the other reason I have tried others occasionally: for comparison.

If you trust your meter and it meets your needs, keep it. If you'd like to see what the new ones are like, get one but don't throw the old one out until you are sure the new one is better.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)