Occasional Contributor
shawngirl1958
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎03-06-2012

How many carbs do you eat per meal?

I was told to keep my meals at 30 cars or below per meal and snacks at 15 or below.  Is that pretty much the norm?  Also any ideas for snacks would be wonderful as I have run out of ideas.  Thanks in advance

Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: How many carbs do you eat per meal?

That's not horrible advice, however many can't tolerate that many carbs in the morning.

What does your meter tell you?

Much of whether you can have 30g carbs per meal depends on time of day, what your BG is before the meal and what you eat with the carbs.  Have a good combination of fat and protein with the carbs helps a lot.

Also, a little exercise will help keep your BG under control as well.

As for me - I keep my carbs below 10g for breakfast, below 30 for lunch but for dinner can usually get away with up to 50g, again depending on what I'm eating.  Snacks are usually around 15g.

Some carbs for ME are red flags - rice, potatoes, bread and regular pasta (Dreamfields works great for me), and these I use in very small quantities.  

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

shawngirl1958 wrote:

I was told to keep my meals at 30 cars or below per meal and snacks at 15 or below.  Is that pretty much the norm? 

The recommendations from the Canadian Diabetes Association are to base the number of carbs on your total calorie intake, and get 45% of your calories from carbohydrates. So once you figure out the number of calories from carbs divide that by 4 to get grams of carbs per day. There are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrates. Then you have to best figure out how to spread that between meals and snacks.

Diabetes Nutrition Guidelines

I eat about 50 grams of carbs for breakfast and more for lunch and dinner, and yes about 15 grams for snacks.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Frequent Responder
savgigi
Total Posts: 528
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

shawngirl1958 wrote:

I was told to keep my meals at 30 cars or below per meal and snacks at 15 or below.  Is that pretty much the norm?  Also any ideas for snacks would be wonderful as I have run out of ideas.  Thanks in advance

There are different approaches and you need to decide for yourself how you want to manage YOUR disease. Some people eat according to recommendations by different diabetic associations or diabetes educators. Many of us here have found those recommendations to have more carbs than we can handle and, if we follow those recommendations, have to adjust medication to keep our BG within the range we want. I choose to follow the path recommended by many more people on this site and by things I have read.

I would suggest you use the carb counts you mention as starting guidelines. Test at your peak time after your meals and your BG reading will tell you if the meal you ate is right for you. If your peak BG is higher than you want, you can adjust your exercise and carb intake next time to see if it makes a difference. Adjusting meds is always a choice, but it is the last choice I personally will make.

Read the blogs by Alan S and I also suggest getting the book by Gretchen Becker, Type 2 Diabetes, The First Year. It lays out the science in an easily understood format and gives good recommendations on diet, exercie and testing plans.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Jeanie

I want to dance at my grandchildren's weddings. I want to live well and die peacefully in my sleep at the age of 110

T2; Dx 2/2009
Initial A1c 5.7; Current A1c 5.6
Metformin 500mg twice a day
Responder
norcaltype2
Total Posts: 40
Registered on: ‎02-25-2012

Test, Test,  and Test some more. I think that is the only way you will know how many carbs you can handle.

Also, I think that WHEN you eat more carbs would be based around your exercise times. If you exercise after breakfast, then you probably should eat more carbs for breakfast than, say, for dinner.

But talk with a doctor about that.

As for how many carbs I eat, I can usually get away with abour 35 for breakfast, 35 for lunch, and around 45 for dinner. I also try to get in two or three snacks in the 10 to 15 grams oof carbs range.

~~~~~

By the way, someone mentioned dreafmields pasta, which is great. But it is reduced carbs because, for some scientific reason that I don't understand in the least, your body doesn't absorb most of the carbs in it. So even though a two-ounce serving has about 40 grams of carbs, we are only able to process 5 grams of those carbs. Of course, verify this with your blood glucose meter.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 819
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

I usually eat around 30 grams of carbs for lunch and dinner. However, I seem to be different from quite a few here in that I can eat 60 grams or more for breakfast and still have less than 100 for a 2HPP. I don't eat many carbs between meals, only snacks like cheese or nuts.  We are all different, and the only way to know how many carbs we can personally tolerate is to test test test.  

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,505

shawngirl1958 wrote:

Not sure there is a norm, Shawngirl, because our metabolisms and activity levels are so different.  And some are taking meds.  What is your current food, exercise and/or meds plan, and how are your bg levels running?

The snack I use regularly has a good balance of protein, fiber, healthy fat, with some fruit, nuttiness and grains, is my all-time favorite almond butter on Ezekiel's sprouted grain cinnamon raisin bread, dunked in flaxseed oil (not only for taste, but to keep sandwich moist).  I cut a sandwich into quarters for snacks, or halves for meals, and put in zip snack bags to take with me when I go out anywhere.  Usually it's just for a day, but I've discovered that on long trips in the car, it keeps fresh for days, and it fits in my purse, too.  Or even when I forget about it, and leave it in the car for days, it still tastes good.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
SweetenedKate
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

You've already received lots of good advice here.  I'd add this:  I used to be able to tolerate higher carbs in the mornings but that has changed recently.  I can no longer eat cereal (which I used to with no issues).  I am now eating 15-20g of carbs for breakfast and find that works well.  I tend to at a total of 100-120g of carbs per day and that is working for me.  Only your meter can tell you what you can tolerate.

Also, even though I've been at this for nearly 7 years, I just recently found out that my peak is at 1 hour, not 2 post-prandial (Thanks Alan!).  So, there were foods I thought were ok for me because the number at 2 hours was acceptable.  Now I'm retesting things and finding that some foods spike me to near 200 at 1 hour.  Yikes!  The lesson here is, not only do we need to test to see what we can eat, but we may need to re-test foods on occassion to see if things have changed.

Snacks: I have a hard time stopping when eating some carbs so I tend to try and eat things like veggies and hummus (bell peppers, snap peas etc) or cheese with nuts or peanut butter etc. Popcorn works for some folks.  If you have better self control than I do, try buying snack sizes (100 calorie packs and the like) or use any method to make sure you stick within your serving size. 

Kate, Type 2 since June 2005
Metformin: 500 mg AM/1000 mg PM
Exercise: 30-60 min every day
Last A1c: 6.0
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,637
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

For me, about 15 grams of carbs in the morning works, then 35-45 at lunch, when I have lunch, and somewhere around 45g at dinner.But as others have noted my gram,s of carb/meal may be irrelevant for you. As they syi, let your meter be your guide.

Although this is a constant topic of discussion here, nobody spelled out what that means in this thread, so I'll take a brief stab at it. Someone without diabetes will  have a range of glucose from ~80 before meals to as high as ~120 after meals, which means that is normal for blood sugar to rise as much as 40 pts after a meal. So if you test before a meal, and then test when it is highest after the meal, and the difference is 40 pts or less, then you are responding to that meal the way someone without diabetes would--although they would probably do the same with much more carbs in the meal.

So that is a pretty good target to aim for--if you can do that, then you are minimizing the chances of any long-term consequences of diabetes. Of course you DO have diabetes, so that target may be very hard to attain, but the closer you can get to it, the better off you will be. And if you can;t do it comfortably by simply restricting carbs, then exercise following the meal could help, or you may need meds or to increase the meds you are taking.  But you will find a pretty direct correlation between how much the meter increases and the grams of carbs in the meal...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100

Best trick I know for figuring out how many carbs work for you is to test before and at your peak BG after meals to see just how different foods affect your BG. Alan has a great write up on his blog, Test, Review, Adjust. In my case it works out to up to 15 carbs for breakfast...depends on how strongly the Dawn Phenomena is hitting me...and between 15 and 30 for lunch and dinner depending on my activity level. i.e. if I've been stuck in my office most of the day I'm going with the 15 g carbs. Snacks of about 15 also work pretty well for me when there is a long stretch between meals.