Long Lost Member
pattyci
Total Posts: 49
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

How do you prime the humalog Kwik Pen?

I am just changin gover from the syringes to the Kwik Pen. I looked at the video on the humolog site, but couldn't figure out how to prime the pen, and from what I gather, you do this every time before injection? I know you dial the dose, but is this before and after you prime?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Pattyci
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Hi
I used to do a 2u air shot, then dial in what I needed to shoot.

Barb
formerly Aussiemom
OmniPod since 1-09
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Long Lost Member
pattyci

B Young (4/9/2010)
Hi

I used to do a 2u air shot, then dial in what I needed to shoot.

Barb

formerly Aussiemom

OmniPod since 1-09

I am new to insulin, and now the Kwik Pen. Air shot as in you dial the dose to 2, then let it squirt out, then redial the pen to 2 units, which is my dose in morning, and inject?

Thanks!
Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,771
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I use Novolog Pen, same thing. Always dial up 2 units, then tap on the pen to remove bubbles and then shoot that into the air; dial up your injection dose and inject. Sometimes when you open a new pen it might take 2 2-unit dial ups before it shoots into the air. But always make sure it does before injecting. Good luck, Brenda
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Long Lost Member
pattyci

brenda8859 (4/9/2010)
I use Novolog Pen, same thing. Always dial up 2 units, shoot that into the air; then tap on the pen to remove bubbles, dial up your injection dose and inject. Sometimes when you open a new pen it might take 2 2-unit dial ups before it shoots into the air. But always make sure it does before injecting. Good luck, Brenda

Thank you so much, Brenda! This is all new with the insulin, but I do like how it makes me feel so much better.

Patty
Advisor
Brenda8859

Patty, re-read my message to you; somehow in my OLD mind (I'm 69) I put the "tapping out the bubbles" in the wrong sequence. Dial up 2 units for priming, THEN tap out bubbles and shoot into air. Then you dial up the amount of insulin you need and inject. Sorry if this caused confusion. HUGS, Brenda
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Advisor
Brenda8859

Patty, re-read my message to you; somehow in my OLD mind (I'm 69) I put the "tapping out the bubbles" in the wrong sequence. Dial up 2 units for priming, THEN tap out bubbles and shoot into air. Then you dial up the amount of insulin you need and inject. Sorry if this caused confusion. HUGS, Brenda
Long Lost Member
pattyci

brenda8859 (4/10/2010)

Thanks Brenda. I got it.

I've been reading about the humalog on the net and found that 1 unit of Humalog for 10-15 grams of carbs. Doc has me on a sliding scale, but for once I'd like to be able to eat breakfast so I am not hungry 2 hours later. I usually have two tablespoons of cream of wheat original with about 1/4 cup of milk with or without a couple tablespoons of peanut butter in it. Maybe, when I can stomach it, a scrambled egg white with it. I never eat only a couple bites and go high.

Original instant cream of wheat has 19 grams total carb. Then it says below that Other carbs 18g but no percentage beside it. I'm confused. Do I count just the 19 grams of carbs or both? Would 2 units of the humalog cover that?

Appreciate any help because I want to feel better and get this right so I can stay out of the 200's after eating. I was 151 for fasting this morning, but I did get a cup of milk at around three am because my ulcer was burning and that helps.

I really would like to eat my cream of wheat in morning.

Thanks so much,

Patty
Advisor
Caloh
Total Posts: 654
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

The only way you can learn how much insulin to take is to experiment and keep very accurate records. You will learn what your ratio is for breakfast, then for lunch, then for dinner. Your ratio of units of insulin per number of grams of carbs will actually vary with each meal! Most of us need more insulin at breakfast.

When I started on insulin, first I had to learn how much basal I needed to have a good fasting reading in the morning. Do you have that now? Once you've got that down pat, you can work on a meal.

Take a measured dose, usually starting with a small one, say 4 units. Eat your favorite breakfast, then test at your peak (is it one hour after your first bite, one-and-a-half-hours, or two hours?). I take the gross amount of carbs on the label unless it is a very high fiber food. Say you had 40 grams of carbs for breakfast and took 4 units and your blood glucose was in your target range. Then you know that you need 1 unit for each 10 grams of carbs at breakfast to be on target. Now, what if you are still too high? The rule is to go very slowly adding insulin. It is important that you don't go low. Next time at breakfast, try adding 2 more units and seeing if that will do the trick. If not, then at another breakfast add another two units. Usually one tries a dose for two to three days before adjusting again, but if you are way out of range, it is probably safe to go a little faster. When you are close to your target, do try the same dose for two to three days before changing it because sometimes we may have exercised a little more, or don't feel well, or the diabetes gremlins are acting up, and results may vary.

You do the same thing at lunch. It is often easiest if you have the same number of carbs at each meal, at first, to learn how many units you need per meal. But, you could just go with your favorite (Healthy, of course) lunch, keeping track of the number of carbs plus number of units you take at each meal.

I find that I need the most insulin at breakfast, I need one unit per 4 grams at breakfast, don't need any at lunch, and one unit per 11 grams at supper. Of course, your ratios will be different. We have to customize our ratios ourselves. And you will find that over time, your ratios will change. When I started on insulin two years ago, I needed to take some at lunch and more at dinner. I've been exercising a lot and have built some more muscle, and thus my ratios have changed.

I hope this helps. No need to be in a rush. Take your time, add insulin gradually till you learn your ratios, and do not go low. You can do it. As Harleydeuce (on the Type 1 board) says, it ain't rocket science. You can do it.
Established Advisor
Angua
Total Posts: 787
Registered on: ‎04-02-2010

19g of carbs will be the total carbs. Unfortunately, with it being wheat, you may still go high -- wheat has a medium to high glycemic index (somewhere between 60 and 80. Glucose has a GI of 100), meaning that its absorbed rapidly into your bloodstream and will make you go very high very quickly and keep you there. Basically, its wheat, and pretty processed and hits you twice -- first that its processed, and the more processed/refined a food is, the quicker it'll make you go high, and second, that its wheat. I've found that the only way I can tolerate any wheat at all is in the form of one slice of multi-grain bread, that has to be eaten with a lot of protein. YDMV of course, but a lot of diabetics find that they just can't tolerate cereal. The only one I've found that I can is Kashi 7-grains, with a cup of yoghurt. But that just tastes like cardboard!