Frequent Responder
patrickprice75
Total Posts: 47
Registered on: ‎07-03-2012

How do I get more involved?

Lately I have been starting to feel like I don't do enough and that I could do so much more to help in the "Diabetes fight" in many different ways.  I think I have a lot to give in terms of volunteering, just not quite sure where to turn or how to start that process.  Especially up here in New Hampshire where there just doesn't seem to be much support (don't beleive we even have a single local ADA office in the state - not a criticism just was kinda shocked when I saw that)

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Pat

37 years old
Diagnosed 2/25/2005

A1C :
10.6 on 6/15/12
6.2 on 9/15/12

Meds:
Metformin 500 x 2 daily, Levimir 37 ml daily, Simvasation 40mg, Lisiniprol 20mg

Weight:
287 on 9/1/11
246 on 11/7/12
Super Advisor
debit202
Total Posts: 1,607
Registered on: ‎01-10-2010

Re: How do I get more involved?

Check with the ADA about starting/organizing a walk in your area.  They will be able to give you ideas (i'm guessing) on getting something started in your area and would probably love the help.

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

dx 12/2009 a1c7.4  3/2011  aic 6.6 long way to goto 5% club next a1c oct. 2011

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,076
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

patrickprice75 wrote:

Lately I have been starting to feel like I don't do enough and that I could do so much more to help in the "Diabetes fight" in many different ways.  I think I have a lot to give in terms of volunteering, just not quite sure where to turn or how to start that process.  Especially up here in New Hampshire where there just doesn't seem to be much support (don't beleive we even have a single local ADA office in the state - not a criticism just was kinda shocked when I saw that)

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Just go to www.diabetes.org and click on "In My Community" and/or "Advocate". That all there is to it.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them". - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 6.0 on 12/11/13

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 4,537
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Hi, Pat,

Besides checking into ADA's opportunities, as others have mentioned, you might consider something like hosting some kind of "diabetes awareness party." Given that November is Diabetes Month, you kind of have an easy way to introduce this. Whether it's for coworkers, friends, or extended/close family, you might be able to help get the word out a bit, and who knows--someone may be having symptoms or be concerned, and you could help answer their questions...or they may have a relative or friend who's diabetic and they don't know how to be supportive of that person...

Where I work there are often workshops devoted to various health issues (includint diabetes) as well as "official" groups that work out together. Maybe your job offers something like this? If not, maybe you could be a trailblazer in this area.

If you're even more ambitious, you could start a support group or a group that does activities together (like hiking, biking, etc)--it might be specifically for diabetics or more generally about nutrition and fitness if this is easier in terms of establishing the group. I think this would be fairly easy to do in terms of finding people who are interested in the topic(s), and you could use your contacts at work and with friends and family, or even online (like meetup). You could also talk to your doctor (or a CDE that you may know) and see if they'd be interested in facilitating a group or at least helping you get a group started.

I know that here in Austin there are different programs "hosted" by pharmacies, grocery stores, even the city, that focus on health and fitness--if there's something like this in your community, maybe you can get involved in something like that. I've often thought that a natural/health food store would offer something about diabetes--Whole Foods has cooking classes and "shopping classes" and such, but I haven't seen anything specifically about diabetes. I'd bet they'd be open to it if someone approached them with some suggestions.

Good luck! I'll be interested in hearing what you end up doing.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (February 2014): 5.2
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years