Occasional Responder
Betsywetsy
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎03-27-2012
Helpful Response

High am BG-should I eat normal or balance with protein to offset

Hi I was diagnosed 5 months ago with Type-2. I was put on ER Metformin. My initial A1C was 6.7. I took it very seriously And next 3 month A1C was 5.7. So I felt this was easy. Haha. I must have been in shock. My eating deteriorated And I am back to blurry eyes, tired all the time, and diarrhea from the Metformin. I guess I was in Denial. Or a honeymoon with it. It's actually very work. I am having a hard time accepting this. My first question is what to do in the mornings when my BG is high. I take the Metformin in the morning. do you think I should take it at night? What do I eat in am? I usually have instant oatmeal, no milk or anything. I also have gotten In the habit of drinking a Glucerna Great Start so I can take my pills. I am realizing it's a constant learning curve. I have learned that if my bedtime BG is okay, so will be my AM BG and I Feel great and can do lots of things like go to my quilting classes.. Where do I start to keep feeling that good? can anyone give me suggestions? I am 62 hrs old, widowed, retired and all my 5 kids and their families are 4 hours away downstate. Please help me??
BETSY M (BetsyWetsy)
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: High am BG-should I eat normal or balance with protein to offset

Oatmeal, especially the instant kind, tends to really spike most peoples BG. You might want to try testing about an hour after that breakfast and seeing what it does to your BG. Myself, when my BG is running on the high side in the morning, I'll eat very few carbs...maybe about 5g worth. I generally do eggs of some sort, fried, scrambled, omelet, etc. Depending on the mornings BG, might be as an egg sandwich with about 15g carbs or might be an omelet with some salsa and be only about 5g carbs. There are also plenty of other options that you can go with for that sort of carb variation as needed, doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food :smileywink:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Betsywetsy wrote:
Hi I was diagnosed 5 months ago with Type-2. I was put on ER Metformin. My initial A1C was 6.7. I took it very seriously And next 3 month A1C was 5.7. So I felt this was easy. Haha. I must have been in shock. My eating deteriorated And I am back to blurry eyes, tired all the time, and diarrhea from the Metformin. I guess I was in Denial. Or a honeymoon with it. It's actually very work. I am having a hard time accepting this. My first question is what to do in the mornings when my BG is high. I take the Metformin in the morning. do you think I should take it at night? What do I eat in am? I usually have instant oatmeal, no milk or anything. I also have gotten In the habit of drinking a Glucerna Great Start so I can take my pills. I am realizing it's a constant learning curve. I have learned that if my bedtime BG is okay, so will be my AM BG and I Feel great and can do lots of things like go to my quilting classes.. Where do I start to keep feeling that good? can anyone give me suggestions? I am 62 hrs old, widowed, retired and all my 5 kids and their families are 4 hours away downstate. Please help me??

Hi Betsy, welcome!

First a funny aside about your screen name.  When I was a child my nickname was Betsy too.  My smart-alec cousin Louie picked up on it.  There was a very popular "Betsy Wetsy" doll then that all of the girls had.  He started calling me that and even sending mail to be with that name.  Before long everyone was calling me that.  When I was 16 I "officially" changed my name to Liz and dared anyone to ever call me Betsy again LOL. 

Now, your morning number problem is very common.  Here's a link I wrote about it:  click on the title

Why Are My Morning Numbers So High 

Here's another link about Metformin:

Why Is There A Moose On The Loose in my GI Track???

it takes some experimentation to find what works for you.  You get to be your own science experiment. :smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Betsywetsy wrote:

When I was taking one metformin ER per day, I took it at bedtime, since there isn't anything I can do during the night to keep the blood sugar low.  It works up to 8 hours. 

I used to dring Glucerna until I read the nutrition label.  LOL  Now I just stick to almond milk - unsweetened.  I just stick to a protein breakfast - either a hard-boiled egg with 2 strips of precooked bacon, or one egg omelet with sausage crumbles, scallions, and cheddar cheese.  I eat more carbs at lunch and dinner where I can work it off if I need to on my stationary bike.  I usually take a 40 minute walk after breakfast, and do some resistence training at evenings.

Occasional Responder
Betsywetsy

Thanks Bill for the oatmeal info  I actually thought I was doing the right thing.  I will try eggs (I usually eat eggbeaters) more often.  Also, I always

use Salsa on top of it because it tastes so much better.  I'll let you know how it works.

BETSY M (BetsyWetsy)
Occasional Responder
Betsywetsy

It definitely sounds like eggs or at least less carbs at breakfast is the way to go.  I thought I was doing so good having th Glucerna right away

because it seemed to let me wait a little longer before I ate something.  I love to linger over my coffee and watch last nights TV programs.

I really appreciate your suggestions and will try them out and see if it helps.  I'm tired of being so tired all the time and I am now seeing

that it is within my choices to prevent this.

Thanks so much.  I am so glad I joined this group.

Love to all

BETSY M (BetsyWetsy)
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100

I've never tried the Glucerna. Looked at it, and decided it had too many carbs for me.

Sometimes for breakfast, I'll do up an omlette with pepperjack cheese, a healthy dose of Tobasco, heap on some salsa and sour cream :smileyvery-happy:

Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 964

Hi Betsy.  I usually eat a few nuts right after taking my fbg.  It seems to be telling my liver that I'm taking care of business and I can wait for my husband so we can have breakfast together.  Might be worth a try.

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Betsywetsy wrote:

It definitely sounds like eggs or at least less carbs at breakfast is the way to go.  I thought I was doing so good having th Glucerna right away

because it seemed to let me wait a little longer before I ate something.  I love to linger over my coffee and watch last nights TV programs.

I really appreciate your suggestions and will try them out and see if it helps.  I'm tired of being so tired all the time and I am now seeing

that it is within my choices to prevent this.

Thanks so much.  I am so glad I joined this group.

Love to all

Also don't forget Betsy that there's no rule that you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast.  You can eat anything really.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more