Responder
lonehorseman
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎02-11-2012

High altitude and diabetes

I am going to grad school in a low elevation but will be going home for spring break.  Home is over 6000 ft in elevation.  Does going to/ living in a higher elevation have any effect on BG levels? 

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: High altitude and diabetes

I have not noticed that in traveling between places like Denver, and sea level.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,453
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

lonehorseman wrote:

I am going to grad school in a low elevation but will be going home for spring break.  Home is over 6000 ft in elevation.  Does going to/ living in a higher elevation have any effect on BG levels? 

Somebody on another message board a few years back proposed to answer that question by doing a lot of tesing on a series of ski vacations, for which he was soliciting donations...

The only report I ever read was mid-way on his journey, whernhe reported lower numbers, but could not rule out that it might be the exercise ratner than the elevation, that was making the difference.

I suppose one could ski with a Continuous Glucose Meter and chart the trends each time you go on a downhill ride, or take a ride back up on the ski lift...

Anyone game?

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,691
Topics: 75
High Fives: 939
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I don't suppose you were planning on providing the grant to fund the research :smileyvery-happy::smileylol:

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,453
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

No, I did not volunteer...

If someone volunteers to fund it, however, I'd be wiling to duplicate the experiment...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...