Advisor
sachi3679
Total Posts: 71
Registered on: ‎02-23-2012

High Fasting Numbers

Hello,

I am not type 2 diabetic, but I am pregant with my second child and had gestational diabetes with my first.  Since I have just about every risk factor imaginable,  I expect to get it with this one, too, so I have started testing my blood sugar again to monitor.  The first time around, I had to take a small dose of insulin at night to control my fasting numbers, but the rest was very well controlled with diet.  Since I started testing again, my fasting numbers are high again (around 110), but my 2 hour numbers are low (mid 90's) even when I don't really follow the diet.  Does this mean the gestational diabetes has already come back?  Is it possible for a non-diabetic to have higher than normal blood sugar like that? 

Thank you!

Gestational diabetes
Diagnosed 30 weeks, 7u humilin-n at bedtime
monkey 1 born 12/19/09 7lbs 10oz
Diagnosed 23 weeks, 28u humilin-n at bedtime
monkey 2 born 9/21/12 7lbs 0oz
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,704
Topics: 205
High Fives: 1,467
Solutions: 165
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: High Fasting Numbers

sachi3679 wrote:

Hello,

I am not type 2 diabetic, but I am pregant with my second child and had gestational diabetes with my first.  Since I have just about every risk factor imaginable,  I expect to get it with this one, too, so I have started testing my blood sugar again to monitor.  The first time around, I had to take a small dose of insulin at night to control my fasting numbers, but the rest was very well controlled with diet.  Since I started testing again, my fasting numbers are high again (around 110), but my 2 hour numbers are low (mid 90's) even when I don't really follow the diet.  Does this mean the gestational diabetes has already come back?  Is it possible for a non-diabetic to have higher than normal blood sugar like that? 

Thank you!

If you were not pregnant I would suggest you are pre-diabetic. However, whether you now have pre-diabetes or a return of GD is something you should ask your doctor ASAP; it's not really possible for us to say.

It is most unlikely that a non-diabetic would have that fasting number. The two-hour number is normal. Have you ever tested at one hour to see what is happening at that time?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,783
Topics: 75
High Fives: 987
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Can you tell us how far along you are?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Advisor
sachi3679

I am 21 weeks.  The doctor won't test me for GD until 28 weeks unless I demand they do it earlier.  My main concerns are that I had to use insulin to control my diabetes the last time, and in spite of the my diabetes being well controlled, I had a lot of complications that most likely were triggered from GD.  This is just weird because I was very sensitive to food last time and if I ate one bite more than my allowed amount of carbs, my numbers shot up, but I guess it isn't doing that yet because it is early?  Thank you for the responses.  I known GD and Type 2 are not quite the same thing, but there is so little information available about GD...it's kind of like, just lay off the ice cream sundaes and everything will be fine =)

Gestational diabetes
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

I, too, had GD with both of my pregnancies:  The first one, insulin dependent, and the second, diet-controlled.  I ate very low carb to almost no-carb - lots of protein and veggies, and I was able to avoid shooting myself with insulin.  LOL  Now I'm type 2 managing it with diet and exercise - so far. 

Good luck to you and your baby!

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,783
Topics: 75
High Fives: 987
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

sachi3679 wrote:

I am 21 weeks.  The doctor won't test me for GD until 28 weeks unless I demand they do it earlier.  My main concerns are that I had to use insulin to control my diabetes the last time, and in spite of the my diabetes being well controlled, I had a lot of complications that most likely were triggered from GD.  This is just weird because I was very sensitive to food last time and if I ate one bite more than my allowed amount of carbs, my numbers shot up, but I guess it isn't doing that yet because it is early?  Thank you for the responses.  I known GD and Type 2 are not quite the same thing, but there is so little information available about GD...it's kind of like, just lay off the ice cream sundaes and everything will be fine =)

The reason I asked how far along you are is that the criteria for diagnosis gestational diabetes have changed in the last couple of years.  The new idea is that ever woman should be screened for diabetes at her first prenatal visit, and then again at 24-28 weeks.  The new twist is that women who are diagnosed early in pregnancy are considered to have plain old ordinary type 2 diabetes, and probably had it before becoming pregnant.  It isn't until the later test that the diagnosis of gestational diabetes is considered.  If you are willing to put up with the technical language of a medical journal, you can read more about that at http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_1/S11.full#sec-11

I figure you know that with the history of GD, you are more likely that most people to be diagnosed with diabetes at some point.  Based on the new way of defining GD, if your fasting numbers have been above 100 for a while, and your meter reads accurately compared to lab tests, it does look like you might be in the 100-125 fasting range that is the basis for diagnosing prediabetes.  I hope  you've shared your numbers with your doctor.  If I were you, I think I would start watching what I eat pretty carefully, lowering carbs and adding plenty of veggies to my plate, just as we might suggest to anyone with prediabetes.  That's a healthy diet for anyone, with or without concerns about diabetes.  If your numbers are high only in the morning, you might want to do some reading about the dawn phenomenon and perhaps try a bedtime snack to see if that lowers your numbers in the morning, as it does for some people.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Advisor
sachi3679

Well, it's good to know that avoiding insulin is possible since that will automatically make me a high risk, which I really don't want to go through again.  Thanks!

Gestational diabetes
Advisor
sachi3679

Well, they tested me at 9 weeks, and I passed that.  When I was pregnant with my son, they tested me at 16 weeks, then again at 24.  I passed the first and failed the second.  Yes, I have about all the risk factors for type 2 - history of GD with my pregnancies, my mom had GD with me, both grandfathers had type 2, I am overweight.  I will call my doctor on Monday and see if they can get me in for a test.  I have been following the diabetic diet since I found out I was pregnant with the exception of fruit (since the main point of following it was to curb weight gain), but I suppose I will have to give that up again, too.  That makes me saddest.   I did see an article about dawn phenomenon and will try that as I really want to avoid going back on insulin.  Thank you for your help.

Gestational diabetes
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Sachi, first of all, congratulations! and welcome to the board.

There is a site called diabeticmommy.com and we have had a few posters who recommend it highly. It may be a little slow on a long weekend but I think they can answer some of your questions and certainly will have a lot of experiences to share.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.