Long Lost Member
keebers
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎03-31-2010

High Blood Pressure and Diabetes

So, I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes and I have not been able to control my high blood pressure for the longest time! Nothing seems to work and I have had tests done; everything normal. So, I dont know what else could be going on there. It's just that nothing seems to be working. (I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome)

With that said, I was just prescribed Diovan HCT (valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide) 320 mg/12.5 mg; once daily. I monitor my blood sugar levels and since I have been on this new medication; I have noticed that my blood sugar levels have been rising!!!

I am making a new doctor's apt. tomorrow because something isnt right. In any case, I did ask the doctor if there was any drug interactions and he said no. (Actually, he is a Physician's Assistant.) Maybe, I should see a different doctor to help me manage my diabetes and high blood pressure???

I need advice.

Anyone have diabetes and high blood pressure? How are you controlling your high blood pressure; besides eating healthier and exercising? Any High Blood Pressure medications that are safe for diabetics?
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,700
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Most high blood pressure meds are okay with diabetes--often an ACE Inhibitor such as Lisinopril or Captopril is used because these help reduce blood pressure in the kidneys. some people get side effects from these and an ARB medication is often prescribed in those cases.

Because high blood pressure and high blood glucose can both damage the kidneys, doctors usually teat any sign of high blood pressure in anyone with diabetes--even marginally high blood pressure that they might ignore in other cases...

I have n;t heard though of blood pressure meds that cause an increase in blood sugar, so there could be other factors at work in your case. Things like diet, stress and exercise levels can affect blood sugar levels--even an illnes that you are as of yet unaware of, such as a developing infection can cause blood sugar levels to rise, so there is often another reason that is hard to pinpoint...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I have high BP as well as D. and none of the BP meds I take do anything to raise my BG.

The best thing to do is check alll YOUR drug interactions on a site such as THIS where you can actually register and keep all your meds in a list, updating as needed. It will give you any and all interactions.

Xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,628
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

My cardiologist was the one that sent me to test for diabetes. He told me that he sees people with both BP and D so frequently that he almost considers it to be a single disease.

I've not seen any problem with BG levels from BP meds (Lotrel). I wonder if your meds are also diuretics, as loss of water would cause a higher concentration of BG.

Stay on top of your doctors to make sure they adjust things when needed!
Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,436
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jeannett keebler (3/31/2010)
So, I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes and I have not been able to control my high blood pressure for the longest time! Nothing seems to work and I have had tests done; everything normal. So, I dont know what else could be going on there. It's just that nothing seems to be working. (I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome)

With that said, I was just prescribed Diovan HCT (valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide) 320 mg/12.5 mg; once daily. I monitor my blood sugar levels and since I have been on this new medication; I have noticed that my blood sugar levels have been rising!!!

I am making a new doctor's apt. tomorrow because something isnt right. In any case, I did ask the doctor if there was any drug interactions and he said no. (Actually, he is a Physician's Assistant.) Maybe, I should see a different doctor to help me manage my diabetes and high blood pressure???

I need advice.

Anyone have diabetes and high blood pressure? How are you controlling your high blood pressure; besides eating healthier and exercising? Any High Blood Pressure medications that are safe for diabetics?

I have had high blood pressure for the last 27 years, and have been diagnosed with diabetes for the last 8 years. I've been taking a beta blocker, a diuretic, and ramipril for my blood pressure for a while now. I also have high cholesterol, which is being kept in control with Lipitor. In addition, I take metformin for my diabetes. So far, so good.

In researching Diovan HCT I read this: "Before using hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure, kidney or liver disease, asthma, low or high blood levels of potassium, gout, lupus, diabetes, or an allergy to sulfa drugs."
Diovan is a drug meant to treat high blood pressure, but you don't mention what, if anything, you've been prescribed for your diabetes.

As for whether or not you should be seeing a different medical professional...my only thought is: if you don't have confidence in the person who is managing your different medical conditions, then you're with the wrong doctor/physician assistant. It's not necessarily a reflection of their quality of care, but if you're not comfortable with them, then maybe you should change.

A lot of people do go to endocrinologists, but most of us get our care from other qualified medical professionals: internists, primary care physicians, and yes, even physician assistants. My own doctor is an internist, and before her, I had a primary care physician. I was happy -- and confident -- with them both. My care has been first rate, but I'm going to blow my own whistle a little here, part of the reason is that I have been an informed consumer.

You have to be your own best advocate when it comes to your health, and that means learning as much as you possibly can. You don't have to become a doctor to know about high blood pressure and diabetes. Start reading everything you can find about these conditions, and then start asking questions.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,436
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

realtxjack (3/31/2010)
My cardiologist was the one that sent me to test for diabetes. He told me that he sees people with both BP and D so frequently that he almost considers it to be a single disease.

I've not seen any problem with BG levels from BP meds (Lotrel). I wonder if your meds are also diuretics, as loss of water would cause a higher concentration of BG.

Stay on top of your doctors to make sure they adjust things when needed!

Went back this week and re-read some of the information in my old "Diabetes for Dummies" book, and was surprised to see mention of that connection! I do know that controlling high blood pressure is especially important for diabetics, as so many of the most severe complications are directly affected by high blood pressure.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,111
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

realtxjack (3/31/2010)
I wonder if your meds are also diuretics, as loss of water would cause a higher concentration of BG.

The HCT is a diuretic, commonly included with a number of BP meds. In my case, I've got it combined with monopril. Can't say if it has any effect on my BG, as I've been taking it for years before the diabetes came along.
Established Contributor
fyre522
Total Posts: 1,438
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

keebers (3/31/2010)
I need advice.

When I was first dx'd with diabetes, I also had problems with my right ventricle in my heart, along with a few other things, including hypertension. I, too, tried Diovan, and it made my edema worse and didn't do anything for my BP.

The 2 that I personally think are best that won't raise your blood glucose levels are Atacand and Bystolic. I was taking Bystolic until about 5 days ago... my Nephrologist had me stop taking it because she said my BP was getting too low (99/58). In these last 5 days, my average BP has been around 118/70.

But with either one of those meds, they shouldn't interefere with your BG numbers, and should not cause weight gain. Of course as with all things that concern diabetes, YMMV.

I hope that helps some!

~Rae~ (Type 1.5, aka LADA)

Treat every stressful situation like a dog... if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away...

Advair, Albuterol-Isopro mix, Bystolic, Colchicine, Combivent, Fentanyl,   Fish Oil, Furosemide,  Humulin R U-500, Hydroxazine, Iron, Klor-Con, Lipitor, L-Lysine, Magnesium,  Metolazone, Oxycodone, Spironolactone, Topamax, Trilipix, Uloric, Vitamin D 50,000,  Zoloft. 

(Hey, if you took all these meds, you'd need happy pills too!)

Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,771
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

keebers (3/31/2010)

I need advice.

My BP was out of sight at around 190/100 for awhile. Dr. suggested a sleep apnea test and sure enough I do have sleep apnea. Since going on the CPAP machine, my BP has dropped to normal levels (still need meds for it tho). A lot of people, especially if you are also obese or even just a bit overweight, who have HBP also have sleep apnea. Have you been tested for that? Just a thought,,,,,, Brenda
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Long Lost Member
keebers
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎03-31-2010

I'm on Metoprolol ER Succinate now, 100 MG. I looked up the drug interactions with Metformin and not good! What do I do now?

Arent ARBS best? Dont they protect the kidneys?

THIS IS FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION