Occasional Contributor
KarlaDaniels
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎07-31-2012
Helpful Response

Help With Test Strips

I need help buying the test strips.  I am not currently testing because I cannot buy them.  In fact, right now, I have no income whatsoever.  I have no insurance.  I can find programs giving a discount-but i still can't pay the balance.  I do not qualify for Medicaid or anything of that nature because I do not have children.  Does anyone know of any type of program or anything that will take care of this?  Thanks for your help.

Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 529
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

Re: Help With Test Strips

Check the nearest Walmart.  They have started a new program with the ReliOn Prime meter and strips.  The meter is a little over 16 bucks and 50 strips for 9 bucks.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I am sorry to hear this. What makes you think you don't q...

I am sorry to hear this. What makes you think you don't qualify for Medicaid? Medicaid isn't just for children. Are you getting public assistance?

Yes states have programs for families with children that may be part of Medicaid but your state should also have Medicaid assistance for adults.

Another possibility is if you live near a town or city with a large teaching hospital with clinics you might be able to get your glucose meter and strips

for free.

Wha state do you live in? Knowing that will help in finding what resources are available that you can look into.

I do wish you the best and am glad you are here.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142

KarlaDaniels wrote:

I need help buying the test strips.  I am not currently testing because I cannot buy them.  In fact, right now, I have no income whatsoever.  I have no insurance.  I can find programs giving a discount-but i still can't pay the balance.  I do not qualify for Medicaid or anything of that nature because I do not have children.  Does anyone know of any type of program or anything that will take care of this?  Thanks for your help.

The link below, help with insurance and supplies will give you lots of resources for both medical care and medications.  Just click on it.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
CollegeLady1
Total Posts: 227
Registered on: ‎02-19-2012

KarlaDaniels wrote:

Medicaid covers adults with chronic/disabling diseases, of which diabetes is one.  It just takes a bit of time and effort but you probably qualify.  Check with your city or county Health and Human Services to see if there is a low income health program for adults.  Also check with your state's HHS about Medicaid.  Also, check with some pharmacies such as WalMart, Walgreen's and CVS to see if they have programs that can get your supplies for little or no money.  You can get a meter with about 10 strips (such as One Touch) by sending in your mailing info.  I think Liberty Mutual is offering a free meter right now too.  However, the strips will be the more expensive part so check with pharmacies to see if they have a plan.  I know CVS did because I used it to get my strips for a few months. 

I'm on a low income health program run by my county's medical program - and have been for three years - so my meds, strips and tests are covered but not the lancets - very confusing.  I'm still waiting to see if I qualify for SSA disability, then the Medicaid will kick in. I've been approved for some benefits from SSA, the full amount and details I'll find out tomorrow, but the Medicare portion is still "pending". 

Amy, Poster Child for Better Living thru Chemicals :smileytongue:

~ The Difficult is the work of the moment; The Impossible just takes a little longer.

San Diego, California
PWD2 diagnosed 2/2003
7/2013 A1C 6.9
Metformin 850mg 3x/day; Glyburide 5mg 2a/1p/day; Actos 30mg 1x/day for T2
Nortriptyline 50mg, Depacote 500mg for migraine
Paroxetine 20mg 1x daily for depression
Simvastatin 10mg 1x daily for cholesterol
Albuterol for asthma daily with exercise and additional as needed
Imitrex 25mg with Naproxen 275mg for migraine
Plus OTC supplements as required
Occasional Contributor
KarlaDaniels

I have a Reli-On Meter I purchased in 2001.  Could I still use that one with the $9 strips or is it a different meter?

Occasional Contributor
KarlaDaniels

i have checked with the medicaid agency in my town and am told that unless you havve children, you must be elderly or disabled to qualify for Medicaid.  I'm not sure what having children as to do with it, but those are the rules unfortunately.  

Occasional Contributor
KarlaDaniels

Re: I am sorry to hear this. What makes you think you don't q...

The only thing we receive is food stamps.  i am told that unless you have children you must be elderly or disabled to receive medicaid.    I do live about 2 hours away from the University of Kentucky hospital so I will check with them.  That is a great idea.  Thanks!  

Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 963
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

KarlaDaniels wrote:

In another thread about Walmart (http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adults-Living-with-Type-2/Test-Strips-available-at-Wal-Mart-for-9-p...

Link for ReliOn Prime:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266

I haven't tried them, but check out the conversation.  I think someone has.

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

KarlaDaniels wrote:

I have a Reli-On Meter I purchased in 2001.  Could I still use that one with the $9 strips or is it a different meter?

The Relion Prime is a new meter and its strips won't work with the old meter.  If your old meter is the Ultima model, you can still get strips for it.  They are cheaper than than nationallly advertised brands, but not as cheap as the new Prime. According to the Walmart website:

Ultima Meter - $14.98

Ultima Strips 20ct. - $8.98

Ultima Strips 50ct. - $19.98

Ultima Strips 100ct. - $36

As you can see, after the first fifty strips, it would be cheaper to go ahead and buy the new meter and fifty strips for a total of $25.24.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.