Long Lost Member
lisagail10
Total Posts: 16
Registered on: ‎01-24-2010

Help?? Bread?? Is there a brand that is best???

Good Morning ADA friends ,
I just have a question, I know we cant have a lot of bread, but I was wondering if anyone has found a brand that is better for us? Thanks for your help

Lisa
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,423
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

lisagail10 (5/20/2010)
Good Morning ADA friends ,

I just have a question, I know we cant have a lot of bread, but I was wondering if anyone has found a brand that is better for us? Thanks for your help

Lisa

I don't have a lot of bread, but when I do I just make sure that it's whole grain, with lots of fiber. Right now, my personal favorite is Orowheat Whole Grain and Flax, but there are several brands out there that are lower in carbs than the brand I like. I just enjoy the flavor so much, I'm willing to have only half a slice in the morning, and a whole slice for open faced sandwiches later in the day.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Long Lost Member
baseballs2go
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎05-17-2010

You could try flatout bread. it's expensive, but it taste really good and I make pizzas with it. I put a slice on the oven rack and cook it for 7 minutes and then put the stuff on that I want and then cook another 7 minutes and voila! A pizza! You can find it in the deli section of the store and I think there is a Sara Lee brand of bread that is low in carbs also. I never did care for white bread either, but I say the whole wheat with the goodides and lots of fiber also. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay....Oh on the flatout bread pizza set the oven to 350.
Long Lost Member
lisagail10

I been eating Natures own Light bread
Nutrition Facts are:
Natures own Honey wheat Light Servings 2 calories 80 Fat 1 Carbs 19 Protein 5 Fiber 5 Cholesterol 0

I just eat a turkey Bacon Sandwich, with a med Roma tomato, and SF Jello, so I'll ck my BS in 2 hrs and see what it is.

Is that the Flat round Bread?

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

There is a recent thread......" I hate breakfast"..... that a lot of people(including me) shared their favorite breads. Sara Lee delightful 45 calories honey wheat only has 7 gr carbs....I like it because it is soft and doesn't taste like you are biting into twigs....teeeheeee!!!! I make homemade sourdough....13 gr carbs per oz. I found the flat out wraps at Albertson's ( in front of the deli case) and at Costco. Good luck. See ya..............Big Red............Peace
Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I dislike commercial breads because they not only have too many ingredients, but almost every single one has sugar in it and IMHO bread with sugar tastes nasty - even 2g is yucky sweet to me.

That said, the only bread I eat is sourdough from a local artisan bakery. Their double sourdough Pain de Campagne is to die for and hardly makes an impression on my meter (1 x 1oz slice). I can even have the cranberry/walnut (again, no sugar added).

You've had some great suggestions - it's all a matter of what you like and how your meter reacts to different bread (and at different times of the day).

Cheers,
Xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
cindyspilot
Total Posts: 306
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Natures own brand bread,carrys a low carb bread.It's a wheat bread,10 carbs per slice.I bought a loaf at walmart,when they were out of the low carb Sara Lee bread.Of course I'm finding,not all walmarts carry the same breads.
I'm not sure what type flat out bread Fay was talking about,but I buy an oblong flatout bread.I found light Italian herb,6 net carbs per bread at Albertsons in front of the deli case,and a Multi flat out bread at costco.The ones at costco,you have to buy in bulk packages of four I believe.
The flatout bread is huge.You can take half and use it as a wrap,or make a pizza with it.Also,Google Flatout bread.com,as they have a website,listing a recipe section,to give you some ideas.
Long Lost Member
lisagail10

Thanks for all the Good advice,

I'm gonna check out some of these breads..........I don't eat bread much but, in the mornings i will eat it with turkey bacon as a sandwich....you guys are great
Long Lost Member
baseballs2go
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎05-17-2010

cindyspilot (5/20/2010)
Natures own brand bread,carrys a low carb bread.It's a wheat bread,10 carbs per slice.I bought a loaf at walmart,when they were out of the low carb Sara Lee bread.Of course I'm finding,not all walmarts carry the same breads.

I'm not sure what type flat out bread Fay was talking about,but I buy an oblong flatout bread.I found light Italian herb,6 net carbs per bread at Albertsons in front of the deli case,and a Multi flat out bread at costco.The ones at costco,you have to buy in bulk packages of four I believe.

The flatout bread is huge.You can take half and use it as a wrap,or make a pizza with it.Also,Google Flatout bread.com,as they have a website,listing a recipe section,to give you some ideas.

That's the flatout bread that I was talking about. My sister and I got ours at Albertson's also and they sell it at Safeways too. They have it in diffrent flavors and such and there are flatout folds too on the website. I haven't seen those at the store, but the flatout bread site does have some wonderful recipies. I especially love the pizzas. I have 3 slices left and nothing to make a sammie with. I don't get paid until the 3rd of the month and I'm just about out of every thing. Sucks, but I've got my last sleep study bill paid and now I will be able to get a better stock of food and canned goods. I love flatout bread, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. will have to check out the prices at Costco. I also like PIta pockets too as those make great sammies too. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay
Occasional Contributor
ZamboniMan
Total Posts: 60
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Fay Prozora (5/20/2010)
You could try flatout bread. it's expensive, but it taste really good and I make pizzas with it.

Multigrain with Flax Flatout is my favorite bread for wraps and home made pizza. They freeze and thaw extremely well which is a blessing since the local store doesn't always have them in stock.