Frequent Responder
Fluffo91
Total Posts: 65
Registered on: ‎11-05-2013

Having some issues I'm really stressed about

I'm going to try to make this brief some may remember my first post in the new member area. This is kinda the same issues but a bit different. I'm focusing on the present so no far backstories.

First issue is Carbs and how to swap out the heavy carb favorites for more lower but still taste good things. I struggle hard with this as my favorite food is chicken and its usual form is nuggets or fried/twice fried. I just think they are easy to eat food cause there cost. $5 for 20 nuggets $3 for three piece of fried chicken and yes there's a McDonalds and Popeyes right by my house so it's easy to give in. The twice fried chicken is a family thing and only happens at reunions and parties. One serving of nuggets is a big 59 carbs without counting the dipping sauces (I don't eat fries much anymore) not sure if a serving is all 20 or not. I haven't found a real way to swap this out yet. I had started to eat just 10 nuggets and a side salad which is 42 carbs but not too sure if that was helping. I'd much rather find a inexpensive way to make nuggets at home baked or grilled to cut the carbs. I have recently bought a Soul food cookbook with the ADA logo on the cover which details all the carbs in every recipe but says stuff like every 1/4 the recipe or 1/6 the recipe which I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Secondly the Hoildays dread. This will be my first holidays as a fully aware diabetic and my family never makes holiday dinners diabetic friendly or diet friendly. If I try to guess I think last year on my thanksgiving plate alone I had 400+ carbs on it. How in the world do I eat thanksgiving and x-mas dinner now? I wouldn't want ppl to go out of their way to make me something different after they work hard on the big meal. I'm getting a diabetic sweet potato pie made just for me but that's it. Would portion control be a big help here? Or just eating more meat then everything else be ok? Usually my family cooks a turkey,chicken,and ham so I have options meat wise.

Last issue and this one maybe strange but according to my doctor I need to lose 140-145lbs if I want to get back to being in excellent health however I've trying all these years(5 years) to love myself and my body for what it is. I am 240lbs right now but wish to lose 40 for my health. My doc said that's good but not great and he much rather I weigh under 150 instead of my want of 200. I know the weight is bad for my diabetes but I just don't want to be a one digit size cause that's not who I am. Can I still be big and control this or do I have to do as my doc says?

That's all my issues thanks in advance for the help!
T2,PCOS

Lantus 20units
Novolog 6 units
Metformin 2000mg
Benicar 20mg
Atorvastatin 10mg
Levothyroxin 75mg
Niacin 500mg
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,822
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Re: Having some issues I'm really stressed about

fluffo91 wrote:
I'm going to try to make this brief some may remember my first post in the new member area. This is kinda the same issues but a bit different. I'm focusing on the present so no far backstories.

First issue is Carbs and how to swap out the heavy carb favorites for more lower but still taste good things. I struggle hard with this as my favorite food is chicken and its usual form is nuggets or fried/twice fried. I just think they are easy to eat food cause there cost. $5 for 20 nuggets $3 for three piece of fried chicken and yes there's a McDonalds and Popeyes right by my house so it's easy to give in. The twice fried chicken is a family thing and only happens at reunions and parties. One serving of nuggets is a big 59 carbs without counting the dipping sauces (I don't eat fries much anymore) not sure if a serving is all 20 or not. I haven't found a real way to swap this out yet. I had started to eat just 10 nuggets and a side salad which is 42 carbs but not too sure if that was helping. I'd much rather find a inexpensive way to make nuggets at home baked or grilled to cut the carbs. I have recently bought a Soul food cookbook with the ADA logo on the cover which details all the carbs in every recipe but says stuff like every 1/4 the recipe or 1/6 the recipe which I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Secondly the Hoildays dread. This will be my first holidays as a fully aware diabetic and my family never makes holiday dinners diabetic friendly or diet friendly. If I try to guess I think last year on my thanksgiving plate alone I had 400+ carbs on it. How in the world do I eat thanksgiving and x-mas dinner now? I wouldn't want ppl to go out of their way to make me something different after they work hard on the big meal. I'm getting a diabetic sweet potato pie made just for me but that's it. Would portion control be a big help here? Or just eating more meat then everything else be ok? Usually my family cooks a turkey,chicken,and ham so I have options meat wise.

Last issue and this one maybe strange but according to my doctor I need to lose 140-145lbs if I want to get back to being in excellent health however I've trying all these years(5 years) to love myself and my body for what it is. I am 240lbs right now but wish to lose 40 for my health. My doc said that's good but not great and he much rather I weigh under 150 instead of my want of 200. I know the weight is bad for my diabetes but I just don't want to be a one digit size cause that's not who I am. Can I still be big and control this or do I have to do as my doc says?

Well the chicken nuggets from McDonald's serving size is actually 4 nuggets, so there are 12 carbs per/4 plus whatever dipping sauce.  How was your blood glucose after eating 10 of these?  Personally since I only eat 20-25 carbs at my evening meal; they would not work for me.  Tonight I had 2 sauteed pork chop, 0 carbs, 5 small pickled beets 5 carbs, 3/4 cup green beans 7 carbs, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks 10 carbs = 22 carbs total and a lot of food.  I have found what works for me by eating to my meter and you really should do the same.  I also seldom feel hungry and don't crave the carbs anymore.

Cut some chicken breasts in strips and sautee until done....dip in low carb sauce.  Easy and the chicken has no carbs. 

At the eating right with diabetes there is a post regarding carbs in the most popular holiday foods.....Trisha a type 1, uses the chart to help those using insulin to know how to bolus for their carbs.  You can at least get an idea of what you could eat with measurements.  http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes/Updated-gt-The-Joy-of-Holidays-Survival-... 

I weigh 141 I think, and I am not in single digits cloths, and am 5'5.  Up to you, but it is easy to lose once you eat lower carb.   

There are also many recipes for healthy low carb foods at the forum and the holiday topic has many recipes....I have added some recipes to the topic today so they are toward the top of the page.  You will see it is quite different from Trisha's post since these recipes are geared to those of us with type 2 that have to keep our carbs lower.

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
12/10/2014 - A1c 5.4
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
12/10/2014 - 144
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
Blood Pressure 12/10/2014 - 105/72
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my deceased husband, and my ex husband

Frequent Advisor
Nita13
Total Posts: 566
Registered on: ‎10-09-2013

Hi fluff,
I have been big all my life and started the low carb life upon dx this summer. So far, I am 27 lbs down. The thing that helps the most for me is counting every bite. I got the fitday app on my phone and enter food before I eat it. It keeps me from forgetting what I ate. It also helps to have small written goals. I started at 243 lbs. The charts say that I need to get to 150- my HS weight. Forget that! I set 10 pound goals, and celebrate each small victory. If I get back to HS weight some day, great, if not, so what- it is just a number. Eating healthier and getting the diabetes monster under control is much more important.
Fried chicken is a big temptation. Once in a while, I get a Popeyes fried chicken breast, strip the bread off and eat it. It cuts most of the carbs out, but still tastes good. I tried oven fried chicken strips coated in egg wash and crushed cracklings. That was pretty good too. Chicken thighs wrapped in bacon rock too, if cholesterol is not an issue. Hang in there!
Nita
Dx T2 7-16-13 A1c 6.6, FBG 112
7-18-14 A1c 6.1, FBG 114
Metformin 2000 ER

Super Advisor
TikTok2
Total Posts: 2,240
Registered on: ‎05-13-2013

Chicken:

Why nuggets? Here's something just as simple and just as good. Buy some chicken thighs (with the skin and the bones) or legs since that is cheaper. I prefer dark meat to white meat, moister and more flavorful IMO. Put some rosemary and thyme under the skin. Rub the skin with extra virgin olive oil. Roast at 350 until done.

Holiday meals:

This is what we make for thanksgiving:

Turkey, Stuffing (breading, breakfast sausage, raisins, apples, mushrooms, herbs), mashed potatoes, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, lima beans, brocoli, cauliflower soup, cranberry sauce, roasted fennel, pumpkin or cranberry orange bread/muffins, pumpkin custard (made with nut milk), a chocolate dessert.

This is what I eat:

Turkey, a little stuffing, a baked sweet potato made in the microwave special for me maybe, lima beans, brocoli, the cauliflower soup, roasted fennel, a 1/4 cup or less cranberry sauce, pumpkin custard (made with nut milk) for dessert. And maybe a green salad too, though with all those other veggies, I don't really need it. 

I focus on the turkey and veggies. And then its not a carb laden, fat laden meal.

As for weight:

why don't you just start losing and when you get to 200, then have the debate with your doctor. You may find that you feel so much better at 200 that you want to keep going.

I am ~145 lbs. I have small bones and was 92 in high school, ~100-105 through my 20s and mid 30s. Then as the insulin resistance got worse and worse, the pounds crept on. I still see myself as a thin person stuck in this body. I want to lose the weight but every summer I lose 5 lbs and every winter I gain it plus some back. 

I just started metformin and so hope that will help.

Every day is a new day to begin anew. Just start your journey and don't worry about the entire journey so much, just focus on taking that first step.

TikTok2

• Diabetes on both sides of my family.
• Assumed trouble metabolizing sugar as long as I can remember; migraines induced by hunger, very sleepy after meals high in carbohydrates from childhood. Learned how to avoid sugar and lots of complex carbs early on.
• Since early 2000s, "prediabetes" controlled through low carb diet and exercise, mostly walking. FBG 95-105, A1c below 6; glucose tolerance test was borderline.
• But weight drifted upwards but working on it.
• NAFLD brought under control with pravastatin.
• Metformin ER, 500 mg, started sept 2013 when A1c reached 6.5 despite diet and exercise regiment since early 2000s. A1c back down to ~6.0.
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Hi, fluffo.  Welcome to this forum. 

In general, fast food is not our friend.  Most of these places do have nutrition information available online, so we can see what we are getting.  Here is the info for Popeye's: click here.  A chicken breast and a side of green beans would be a touch on the high side for me, but not off the table, just something I wouldn't want to do every night.

When going to a holiday meal, I bring something - typically a vegetable like green beans.  Then I know I can eat the meat and the vegetable, which is pretty much what I eat for dinner anyway.  Since you are having a low-carb dessert prepared for you, you should be fine.  Watch out for drinks, some of them are quite carby.  Iced tea (unsweetened or artificial sweetener), diet soda, ice water work well.

On the weight issue, I agree with others - you don't have to decide your end point now, just need to get moving in the right direction.  You may find that it is fun to do a little shopping for new clothes when your old wardrobe gets too big.  In addition, you will get a lot of compliments as you lose weight, and you will like the new-look you.  Don't worry about where the end-point is or when you will get there, just get the process under way.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,194
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

fluffo91 wrote: (14/Mary's comments in blue):

First issue is Carbs and how to swap out the heavy carb favorites for more lower but still taste good things. I struggle hard with this as my favorite food is chicken and its usual form is nuggets or fried/twice fried. I just think they are easy to eat food cause there cost. $5 for 20 nuggets $3 for three piece of fried chicken and yes there's a McDonalds and Popeyes right by my house so it's easy to give in. The twice fried chicken is a family thing and only happens at reunions and parties. One serving of nuggets is a big 59 carbs without counting the dipping sauces (I don't eat fries much anymore) not sure if a serving is all 20 or not. I haven't found a real way to swap this out yet. I had started to eat just 10 nuggets and a side salad which is 42 carbs but not too sure if that was helping.
Here's one idea: Some people deal with this sort of thing by giving themselves one "treat day" or one "treat meal" a week or a month, so that they can have that food they really really like. this keeps them from feeling deprived and helps them stay on track the rest of the week/month. Is this something you think might help you?
I'd much rather find a inexpensive way to make nuggets at home baked or grilled to cut the carbs. I have recently bought a Soul food cookbook with the ADA logo on the cover which details all the carbs in every recipe but says stuff like every 1/4 the recipe or 1/6 the recipe which I'm not sure exactly what that means.
I'm not sure what 1/4 or 1/6 the recipe means either. My guess is that 1/4 the recipe = 1 serving, but I have no idea, really. Maybe there are some notes at the front or back of the book that explain this? I think your idea of finding new ways to prepare favorite foods is great :smileyvery-happy: and I encourage you to do that and experiment with the various foods/recipes a bit. In the long run, I believe this is really the key to success--adapt and change as needed to keep your BG in check.

Secondly the Hoildays dread. This will be my first holidays as a fully aware diabetic and my family never makes holiday dinners diabetic friendly or diet friendly. If I try to guess I think last year on my thanksgiving plate alone I had 400+ carbs on it. How in the world do I eat thanksgiving and x-mas dinner now? I wouldn't want ppl to go out of their way to make me something different after they work hard on the big meal. I'm getting a diabetic sweet potato pie made just for me but that's it. Would portion control be a big help here? Or just eating more meat then everything else be ok? No, I would not suggest this approach at all...
Usually my family cooks a turkey,chicken,and ham so I have options meat wise.
Someone else just started a new thread on this same topic, and you might find it very helpful...check it out!
http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adults-Living-with-Type-2/Holidays-as-a-new-diabetic/td-p/431647

Personally, I find it very hard to think in terms of "I want to lose x number of pounds" and then actually do it. A few years ago, I adopted the attitude that I could control my behavior/habits, but not the number on the scale. That means I do what I need to do to get/stay healthy and don't worry so much about my weight.
I've also found that when I do what's necessary to keep my BG at a "good" level, my wieght more or less takes care of itself. The relationship between weight and diabetes isn't quite as direct and clear-cut as most people (including doctors) make it out to be.
Having said that, I will tell you that I lost 100 pounds (all of my excess weight!) within the first year after my diagnosis not by trying to lose weight, but by following a "diabetes-smart" routine. That routine included diet and exercise and stress reduction and adequate amounts of sleep. I kept the weight off fairly effortlessly for about 3 years, but then I started gaining...and losing...and gaining...I am now near my "diagnosis weight" (I am not happy to say) but my BG is still in good shape, so I'm okay with my weight...more or less. I'd rather be back at my ideal weight, but it's not my #1 priority--my BG is. Whether or not I could have gotten my BG in control without losing weight after my diagnosis, I don't know..With some people, it seems weight has absolutely nothing to do with BG control, with others it has everything to do, and others (most, I suspect) fall somewhere between those two extremes.

I'll be happy if this does help you...:smileyhappy: Good luck! I'll be interested in reading an update...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (December 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Frequent Responder
Fluffo91

[ Edited ]
Thanks all the advice helps out a lot!

A few other issues I have but didn't want to over type the first post.

I'm still working on my carb intake but my bg levels are out of control. This morning I was at 268 waking up and 303 before dinner. My meter now just says "Hi" I take my insulin shot between noon-2pm most days. I took my insulin after the 268 and it shot up to 303. I try to eat 60-70g carbs per meal my dietician told me to stay in that range though I haven't been to her in half a year. I eat 2-3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks and a dessert. I know right now it's cause I gave in my sugar is so high and I still have one last meal to eat to. I've heard taking another shot at half your normal dose helps but I can't really be doing extra shots as I have no insurance so no way to get more insulin right now. I have the metformin but usually don't take it cause it makes me sick also.
T2,PCOS

Lantus 20units
Novolog 6 units
Metformin 2000mg
Benicar 20mg
Atorvastatin 10mg
Levothyroxin 75mg
Niacin 500mg
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,822
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

fluffo91 wrote:
Thanks all the advice helps out a lot!

A few other issues I have but didn't want to over type the first post.

I'm still working on my carb intake but my bg levels are out of control. This morning I was at 268 waking up and 303 before dinner. My meter now just says "Hi" I take my insulin shot between noon-2pm most days. I took my insulin after the 268 and it shot up to 303. I try to eat 60-70g carbs per meal my dietician told me to stay in that range though I haven't been to her in half a year. I eat 2-3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks and a dessert. I know right now it's cause I gave in my sugar is so high and I still have one last meal to eat to. I've heard taking another shot at half your normal dose helps but I can't really be doing extra shots as I have no insurance so no way to get more insulin right now. I have the metformin but usually don't take it cause it makes me sick also.

Hi and sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your blood glucose.  Maybe you need to lower your carbs.  If you are going that high it means you are eating too many carbs for the amount of insulin you are using.  I only eat 80 or less carbs per day.  If you will ask for the extended release Metformin it usually does not make people as sick.  When your meter read Hi you were in dangerous territory.  Why don't you seriously try to lower your carbs.  Did the dietician meet with you when you were on Insulin?  What type of insulin are you using? 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
12/10/2014 - A1c 5.4
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
12/10/2014 - 144
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
Blood Pressure 12/10/2014 - 105/72
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my deceased husband, and my ex husband

Frequent Responder
Fluffo91

I will try to lower my carbs to 50 per meal and 10-15 per snack. I met with the dietician the day I was prescribed insulin. She taught me how to inject myself. I take Lantus from a vial 28 units a day. I inject into my arms mostly right arm cause it's less pain.
T2,PCOS

Lantus 20units
Novolog 6 units
Metformin 2000mg
Benicar 20mg
Atorvastatin 10mg
Levothyroxin 75mg
Niacin 500mg
Super Advisor
churndash
Total Posts: 1,575
Registered on: ‎11-07-2013

I also enjoy chicken nuggets.  I make them at home, "breading" them with almond flour or coconut flour.  My non-diabetic husband and son can't tell the difference.  I add a little cayenne pepper to the flour mix to give them a little "kick".  I hope this helps, as I know how frustrating getting started on a diabetic diet can be.