Contributor
jbronste
Total Posts: 428
Registered on: ‎01-13-2010

Have you tried sourdough bread?

Woke up, tested, 98.
Ate breakfast: 2 string cheese, 2 slice lunch-meat ham (made a roll-up), 1 piece sourdough with peanut butter.

At 2 hours: 93.
Didn't do any exercise or anything in there.

Now, when I have eaten my usual breakfast, which has about the same amount of carbs but uses wasa bread instead of sourdough, I've never been below 100 at 2 hours.

Has anyone else noticed that sourdough doesn't particularly raise your BG? I read on the internet that it's a special property of sourdough.
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,364
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Jamie Bronstein (8/23/2010)

Woke up, tested, 98.

Ate breakfast: 2 string cheese, 2 slice lunch-meat ham (made a roll-up), 1 piece sourdough with peanut butter.

At 2 hours: 93.

Didn't do any exercise or anything in there.

Now, when I have eaten my usual breakfast, which has about the same amount of carbs but uses wasa bread instead of sourdough, I've never been below 100 at 2 hours.

Has anyone else noticed that sourdough doesn't particularly raise your BG? I read on the internet that it's a special property of sourdough.

I've heard that about sourdough bread, and notice that if I have a sandwich with sourdough that I don't spike as much as if I ate another kind of bread. But it might have more to do with the fact that those sandwiches tend to be high fat, which would slow things down anyway.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Jamie, I've found that sourdough bread is about the ONLY bread I can eat without spiking - and that's for breakfast, too!

I am lucky enough to have an artisan bakery a mile from my house which bakes ONLY sourdough breads - so they don't need any sugar. I started eating it way before Dx, because I just don't like the taste of commercial American breads with the slightly sweet taste.

This bakery uses all organic, natural products and doesn't add sugar, eggs, fats etc. to their breads - even their cranberry walnut has no sugar in the bread.

My fav is their double sourdough... and the jalapeno cheese... and the olive LOL.

Sometimes I have a Crystal Farms sourdough English muffin for weekday breakfast - just half of one with peanut butter or smoked salmon and cream cheese. At around 11g carbs, these don't spike me either - unless I have a whole one, or don't eat some protein and fat with it.

Cheers,
Xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Frequent Responder
helenacj
Total Posts: 338
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

I like sourdough bread and it doesn't spike me either.

I get it at Publix or off the shelf, love bread a lot, what a coincidence !

Helen,, oh I would like to bake it myself, but don"t know how.
Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,771
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

helenacj (8/23/2010)
I like sourdough bread and it doesn't spike me either.

I get it at Publix or off the shelf, love bread a lot, what a coincidence !

Helen,, oh I would like to bake it myself, but don"t know how.

Helen, just google "sourdough bread starter" and you'll get many recipes.
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Advisor
thomas508
Total Posts: 446
Registered on: ‎05-10-2010

My wife makes a whole wheat bread from scratch which doesn't spike me very high whereas almost any store bought bread will but we haven't had any sourdough bread in a long time, might need to try that.

Thanks,
Billy

DX May/2010 A1C 13.2
August/2010 A1C 5.6
February/2011 A1C 5.2
August/2011 A1C 5.1
March/2012 A1C 5.5
September/2012 A1C 5.4
March/2013 A1C 5.4

Metformin 500mg 2 per day
Frequent Responder
helenacj
Total Posts: 338
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Brenda thanks I will give it a try.
Advisor
Brenda8859

Here is the one I want to start today; takes a week for "starter" to be ready!

Sourdough Starter - Wheat

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon honey

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup non-chlorinated water (such as

bottled)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup non-chlorinated water (such as

bottled)

1. In a glass or ceramic bowl, mix together the honey, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, and 1/2 cup of water. Use a wooden spoon to stir. Cover lightly, and place in a warm place. Stir twice a day for 5 days.

2. On the 6th day, mix in 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour using a wooden spoon. Don't worry about lumps, for the yeast will eat them! Cover and let stand in a warm place to ferment for 1 day. When you get lots of bubbles and foam on top, you know the starter is active and ready to use. The starter will separate with the flour on the bottom and 'hootch,' a yellow liquid, on top. Just mix well before using or feeding.

3. Store starter in a wide mouth glass jar. I use waxed paper and a rubber band in place of a lid, as metal utensils or containers will contaminate the starter. Once refrigerated, the starter only needs to be fed once a week. Use half, and feed the remaining half to keep it alive for the next time.

Next is the recipe using this starter:
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Advisor
Brenda8859

Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Whole wheat sourdough bread is an old-fashioned bread recipe made with over 4 cups of wheat flour and your favorite sourdough starter. The recipe makes 2 heavy, solid loaves that are moist and delicious on the inside and surrounded by a hearty, thick crust. The bread is started at night and allowed to turn to sponge while you sleep. After waking, the remaining ingredients are added and the bread is baked. This recipe for whole wheat sourdough bread makes 2 loaves of bread.

4-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3-3/4 cups warm water
1 cup sourdough starter
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 cups bread flour

On the night before, mix together the whole wheat flour, warm water, and a cup of your favorite sourdough starter in a large bowl. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let set overnight.

The next day, stir down sponge. Mix in baking soda, salt, honey, and vegetable oil.

Mix in bread flour. The dough will be sticky.

Knead the dough for 5 minutes. To do this, I grease my hands lightly with vegetable oil to prevent the dough from sticking to my hands and I knead the dough inside of the large bowl.

Let dough sit for 10 minutes.

Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Divide dough in half and place in loaf pans.

Cover and let loaves rise for 2 hours or until the dough has risen a little over the edge of the pan.

Bake loaves at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for another 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.

Turn loaves out and let cool. Bread can be bagged and frozen for up to 3 mos.
Established Advisor
bugbarb
Total Posts: 553
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

Be careful of most breads that are labeled as sourdough. I think it has come to mean sour tasting. If you look at the ingredients and see things like YEAST, you are looking at a sour flavored dough bread. Look more and you will see ascorbic, acetic, lactic or some other type of acid added to give that sour taste.

Only real sourdough bread will have "sourdough starter" listed somewhere on the label or on the list of ingredients.

I bought a loaf of sour flavored bread for $2.50 last week. I tasted it last night, in a fit of munchies. It wasn't worth it. My husband will eat it for sandwich bread. It tasted like white bread with a little white vinegar mixed in. Pretty sorry stuff. I suppose it will make a good toasting bread for his morning breakfasts.
Too much of a good food will raise my blood glucose.