Responder
sammy19701
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎01-10-2013

HGH to treat Type 2 Diabetes

First off guys I wanna say that my mom has Type 1 Diabetes and my dad who recently passed at 68 had Type 2 Diabetes. I watched my mom take shots every morning since I was a child and watched my dad for the last 10 years of his life get pieces of his feeet taken off due to complications from Diabetes. This disease as many of you are aware is no joke. My mom now has a blod sugar monitor and loves it, she has not had an insulin reaction in over a year since having it and I am pissed that Medicare will not cover these devices. So I want to advise all of you over the age of 65 on Medicare to call your local congressmen/women and get them to change this, this is a bunch of bull. But now on to the topic of HGH. I was reading an article about HGH,( yes HGH, the stuff all the baseball players were taking to make them hit more home runs) Well get this. HGH helps your body produce IGF-1 which helps your body break down proteins and thus requiring less insulin. And listen to this, when your blood sugar runs high the human body releases HGH!!! So why in the hell are doctors not prescibing HGH to treat Type 2 diabetes. This is ridiculous and I want everyone that is reading this to ask their doctors about this because I think this is a bunch of bull that this has not been looked at to help millions of people in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Responder
sammy19701

Re: HGH to treat Type 2 Diabetes

Please Google HGH and read wikipedia and read part about what it does in liver. It does sound like overuseage leads to Type 2 diabetes because body has become dependent upon HGH but it sounds like if administered under doctors care it could help relieve Type 2 Diabetes. Read and judge for yourself.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,554
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I don't think you will get doctors prescribing HGH for off label use for diabetes even if you ask.. More research, and approvals if the research comes through, will be needed first.  And from my reading, there are definite mixed opinions on the value of HGH long term for diabetes;  let alone other side affects.

I must admit.. an interesting post for your first one here  And based on your words, you seem very passionate about your feelings.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
sammy19701

What I found very interesting in the Wikipedia artice is where it talks about HGH helps your liver with gluconcogenesis (prevents from Blood Sugar Dropping too Low) - Type 2 diabetes. And also helps contribute to the maintenance and function of pancreatic islets. By increasing production of Beta Cells- which produce insulin- Type 1 Diabetes. if this drug/steriod/ whatever you wanna call it does this. How come there has been NO study NO news, NO nothing about it in relation to how it help diabetics. Again if ADA wants to truly bring an end to this disease they should be asking doctors ASAP about research and testing HGH on Diabetic patients.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,554
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I can't push the ADA to go running in for full support based on a Wikipedia article. 

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
sammy19701

Yes but the ADA could push for trial studies on this and outcomes. As you can clearly read their looks to be clear benefits from this drug. Thru my research I have found nothing that states any studies have been done. But I have found what it does and what it does clearly looks like a major benefit.

Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 963
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

As far as I know, non of us on the message boards can speak for the ADA.  Since you seem to have strong feelings about this, my suggestion would be for you to contact ADA. You can go to their main page at http://www.diabetes.org/?utm_source=Connect&utm_medium=Header. At the bottom is a button for "Contact Us", and there is also a snail mail address. 

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

[ Edited ]

sammy19701 wrote:

What I found very interesting in the Wikipedia artice is where it talks about HGH helps your liver with gluconcogenesis (prevents from Blood Sugar Dropping too Low) - Type 2 diabetes. And also helps contribute to the maintenance and function of pancreatic islets. By increasing production of Beta Cells- which produce insulin- Type 1 Diabetes. if this drug/steriod/ whatever you wanna call it does this. How come there has been NO study NO news, NO nothing about it in relation to how it help diabetics. Again if ADA wants to truly bring an end to this disease they should be asking doctors ASAP about research and testing HGH on Diabetic patients.

It would be nice if this proved to be very helpful to us, and we will all be deliriously happy if it turns out that way.  It is well, however, to bear in mind that the reason why prescription drugs are available by prescription only is that they are thought to have at least the potential for harmful side effects.  In addition to your head growing to the size of a beach ball and the ability to hit a baseball to Mars, HGH can cause:

• Nerve, muscle and joint pain
  • Edema
  • Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
  •  Numbness and tingling of the skin
  •  High cholesterol levels

The numbness and high cholesterol could be especially problematic for diabetics.  HGH can also contribute to the growth of cancerous tumors. There are also studies that indicate that HGH can increase the risk of getting diabetes, which I don't understand if this is a miracle drug for treating diabetes.  There is a lot that is not yet understood about this substance. 

New research is going on all the time, and I read about once a week of some small-scale study that has encouraging results.  I try not to get my hopes too high.  When there is something good that is proven to help us, we will all be dancing with happy feet.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Responder
sammy19701

I am sure any drug not used under doctor supervision, including insulin, can have reverse effects. Weight lifters and athletes jump in and take this stuff unmonitored and wreck their bodies. But for someone with Type 2 diabetes or even Type 1 I do not see how this drug could not jump start beta cell production in Type 1 and re-start Glucongenesis in the liver for type 2 diabetics.

Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

The Wikipedia article states natural HGH production can be stimulated as a result of:

deep sleep

niacin

fasting

exercise

Interestingly there are diabetes and cholesterol drugs based on niacin and the vitamin itself is widely available.

Not sure about deep sleep but diabetics have posted compelling results of both fasting and exercise.

Given HGH increases the rate of tissue replacement which multiplies the chances of dna coding errors I personally

would be likely to try the natural solutions first and avoid cancer, which diabetics are already more likely to get.

No harm in a trial though. In my opinion no stone should be left unturned. It makes economic sense if nothing else.

At the rate things are going diabetes will break the national budget in not so many years.