lgmann64
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎01-07-2011

HELP!!! NO Insurance and cant afford meds and strips

Good Morning Everyone  :smileyhappy:

I have a question. My brother is Diabetic, NO Insurance, He has a Job, its in construction,  but with all the bad weather and the job has gotten slow, (Not getting much work) he cant afford his meds. I dont know if there is anything out there can can help someone in this situation or not, but i wanted to ask you guys.... thanks so much for all the help.

Lisa
Frequent Responder
joej1
Total Posts: 419
Registered on: ‎01-09-2011

Its often hard to find but there are clinics out there that work on a sliding scale as an example where I go, as long as he makes less than about $1000 a month they charge only $30 for an office visit and labs. If he makes more they have the person pay more but still much cheaper than retail doctor prices. It takes lots of digging and time but there could be something really cheap for him there too.

People have suggested Walmarts meter which would be 40 some cents per strip. One option could be "buying" free meters (eg Bayer has coupons in some pharmacies for their contour usb meter free w/25 strips included right now) and just using the strips that come with. Very time consuming but works out to be quite a bit cheaper if he has lots of free time which it sounds like he does right now. Just has to pay sales tax and gas and his time.

Also has he shopped around for prices on his meds? If they are generic like metfoprmin he can only have to pay $4 a month at target or walmart. If they are not (eg Tricor for triglycerides) there may be a generic equivalent. You did not say what meds he is on, if you do, others might be familiar with them. If he spends the time he can save alot. Another example that has worked for me, many grocery store chains or drugstores periodically offer giftcards for new or transferred prescriptions (eg $25 giftcard right now etc) even if you have insurance. Helps alot.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lizzylou

Hi Igmann,

Here's a link with info. on medical assistance and clinic information: 
click here

You can also go to the top of this main page for test strip info.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lgmann64

He takes Avandament its 152.00 a month
Frequent Responder
joej1

Frequent Responder
joej1

Not familiar with that medication but when I googled it, it looks like Avandia combined with Metformin. It might be more pills but maybe Avandia by itself is alot cheaper than the combination. Since the Metformin should be $4 a month. Just a thought, if they charge a big premium for the combo pill

Also the clinic I go to is able to offer a sizable discount from retail. I did not use it for the Metformin since they charged more than $4 but for medicines that are more expensive a clinic might be able to offer that. I think there is some sort of federal subsidy. My fenofibrate there was 13.25 versus 28 retail but since I got a gift card it still made sense for me to pay retail.

Otherwise, libby's link discusses how the pharmaceutical company might have a program he can take advantage of to reduce his cost.
lizzylou

There is no generic Avandimet, but there is generic Avandia and Metformin.  If his doctor would rewrite his prescriptions he could get both for the $4.00 a month generic drug programs.  He'd just have to take two separate pills

Lizzy   
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lgmann64

lgmann64

Thak you LizzyLou and JoeJ1  really apprecate your help...I found a website called needymeds.org  they have discount drug card that can be printed out and presented at drug store for a drug discount   and theres a lot of pharmacies listed...maybe this will help  i hope its legit.....Again thank you all for your help.

Lisa Mann