Responder
May242012
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎05-25-2012

Re: Groin ITCH

See a specialty doctor called an allergist. They deal with all kinds of itches all the time and can properly diagnose and help you with your problem.

*DX Type 2 (5-24-12)
Weight 264, BMI 36
Glimepiride 4mg,
Janumet 50-1000 once daily
-Sitagliptin phosphate 50 mg,
-metformin HCl 1,000 mg
A1C 9.7 at diagnosis
Week 1 Avg FBG 191
Week 1 AVG BG 141
Occasional Visitor
karenb2
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎05-28-2012

...I forgot to tell you - you also have to spray it "down there" 3 to 5 times a day.  The whole curing process took about 5 days for me. 

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about colloidal silver:

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

Colloidal silver products are made of tiny silver particles suspended in a liquid — the same type of precious metal used in jewelry, dental fillings, silverware and other consumer goods. Colloidal silver products are usually marketed as dietary supplements that are taken by mouth. Colloidal silver products also come in forms to be injected or applied to the skin.

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

It's not clear how much colloidal silver may be harmful, but it can build up in your body's tissues over months or years. Most commonly, this results in argyria (ahr-JIR-e-uh), a blue-gray discoloration of your skin, eyes, internal organs, nails and gums. While argyria doesn't pose a serious health problem, it can be a cosmetic concern because it doesn't go away when you stop taking silver products.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications.

Source:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloidal-silver/AN01682

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Visitor
karenb2
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎05-28-2012

Whether or not you choose to use colloidal silver is up to you.  Colloidal silver manufactured by Soverign Silver is safe.  I did my research on colloidal silver before opting to try it, including which brands are trusted.  The last post would have you believe that colloidal silver is not safe because of a mayo clinic review.  If consumers continue to to place unquestioned faith in what clinics, doctors, and other entities in bed with pharmaceutical companies have to say, then we will continue to suffer.  I know where are people who have made their own colloidal silver incorrectly and have as such suffered.  But, speaking for myself, I did my research and found a brand carried by a major organic foods supply store, Whole Foods, whose particle size is proven efficient and effective in killing bacterial and other infections that pharmaceutical drugs cannot even cure.  I know.  I used this product and my issue was cured - completely.  While I'm not a spokesperson for colloidal silver, I do believe in consumers making educated decisions about their own healthcare.  I do believe in consumers at least investigating food cures, alternative cures, and other proven non-pharmaceutical cures for their ailments rather than just blindly trusting advice from such places at the Mayo Clinic who clearly have a vested financial interest in consumer healthcare remaining in the hands of the $3 trillion/yr pharmaceutical industry. 

My bottle of colloidal silver costed me $14 for the spray at Whole Foods.  I didn't need medical insurance, I didn't have to pay a co-pay, I didn't have harmful side effects or risk of death.  And, it worked.  Do your research.  Take control of your own health decisions.  That's my only point.

Good luck.

-Karen

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,583
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

This is from WebMD about colloidal silver.

Colloidal silver is a mineral. Despite promoters’ claims, silver has no known function in the body and is not an essential mineral supplement. Colloidal silver products were once available as over-the-counter products, but in 1997, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that colloidal silver drug products were not considered safe or effective. Colloidal silver products marketed for medical purposes or promoted for unproven uses are now considered “misbranded” under the law.

There are many Internet ads for the parts of a generator that produces colloidal silver at home. People who produce colloidal silver at home will likely not be able to evaluate their product for purity or strength. There are many products that are far safer and more effective than colloidal silver.

Despite these concerns about safety and effectiveness, people still buy colloidal silver as a dietary supplement and use it for a wide range of ailments. Colloidal silver is used to treat infections due to yeast; bacteria (tuberculosis, Lyme disease, bubonic plague, pneumonia, leprosy, gonorrhea, syphilis, scarlet fever, stomach ulcers, cholera); parasites (ringworm, malaria); and viruses (HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles, warts).

Colloidal silver is also used for lung conditions including emphysema and bronchitis; skin conditions including rosacea, cradle cap (atopic dermatitis), eczema, impetigo, and psoriasis; and inflammation (sometimes due to infection) of the bladder (cystitis), prostate (prostatitis), colon (colitis), nose (rhinitis), stomach (gastritis), tonsils (tonsillitis), appendix (appendicitis), and sinuses (sinusitis).

Other uses include treatment of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, leukemia, hay fever and other allergies, trench foot, and gum disease.

Colloidal silver is also used to prevent flu, H1N1 (swine) flu, and the common cold.

Some women take colloidal silver during pregnancy to aid the baby's growth and health as well as the mother's delivery and recovery.

Colloidal silver is applied directly to the skin for acne, burns, eye infections, fungal infections, throat infections, skin infections, and Staphylococcus infections.

Insufficient Evidence for:

• Ear infections.
  • Emphysema.
  • Bronchitis.
  • Fungal infections.
  • Lyme disease.
  • Rosacea.
  • Sinus infections.
  • Stomach ulcers.
  • Yeast infections.
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • HIV/AIDS.
  • Tuberculosis.
  • Food poisoning.
  • Gum disease.
  • Digestion.
  • Preventing flu and colds.
  • Other conditions.

More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of colloidal silver for these uses.

colloidal silver Side Effects & Safety

Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE for use. The silver in colloidal silver products gets deposited in vital organs such as the skin, liver, spleen, kidney, muscle, and brain. This can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration that first appears in the gums. It can also stimulate melanin production in skin, and areas exposed to the sun will become increasingly discolored.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin or injected intravenously. Increased silver levels in pregnant women have been linked to abnormal development of the ear, face, and neck in their babies. Colloidal silver supplements can also lead to silver accumulation in the body, which can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration known as argyria. Silver can also be deposited in vital organs, where it does serious damage.

colloidal silver Interactions What is this?

Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination

• Antibiotics (Quinolone antibiotics) interacts with COLLOIDAL SILVER

Colloidal silver might decrease how much antibiotic the body absorbs. Taking colloidal silver along with antibiotics might decrease the effectiveness of some antibiotics. 

• Some antibiotics that might interact with colloidal silver include ciprofloxacin (Cipro), enoxacin (Penetrex), norfloxacin

• (Chibroxin, Noroxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam), trovafloxacin (Trovan), and grepafloxacin (Raxar).

• Antibiotics (Tetracycline antibiotics) interacts with COLLOIDAL SILVER

Colloidal silver might decrease how much tetracycline antibiotics the body can absorb. Taking colloidal silver with tetracycline antibiotics might decrease the effectiveness of tetracycline antibiotics. To avoid this interaction take colloidal silver two hours before or four hours after taking tetracyclines.

Some tetracyclines include demeclocycline (Declomycin), minocycline (Minocin), and tetracycline (Achromycin).

• Levothyroxine interacts with COLLOIDAL SILVER

Colloidal silver might decrease how much levothyroxine the body absorbs. Taking levothyroxine along with colloidal silver might decrease the effectiveness of thyroxine.

• Penicillamine (Cuprimine, Depen) interacts with COLLOIDAL SILVER

Penicillamine is used for Wilson's disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Colloidal silver might decrease how much penicillamine your body absorbs and decrease the effectiveness of penicillamine.

How does it work?

Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins.

Source http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-779-colloidal+silver.aspx?activeIngredientI...

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Thanks Liz and James for posting those cautions.

Not only do I suggest that we do research on any meds, supplements or cure-alls that are brought to our attention.

It is good to be aware of what side effects that these substances might have and also very important to know of adverse interactions.

For me the final word is with my doctor. I respect him and I know that he cares about his patients and is not swayed by either the drug reps who visit nor by the thousands of miracle cures on the internet. There is a reason that doctors take an oath to "do no harm"

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

I get the itchies in the folds of my skin where moisture collects. I have found that cheap generic foot powder which absorbs moisture works well. Seems strange, but hey it helped. Hope you find something that works for you! Nothing worse than itches you cant scratch in public. Not even funny.
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

karenb2 wrote:

Whether or not you choose to use colloidal silver is up to you.  Colloidal silver manufactured by Soverign Silver is safe.  I did my research on colloidal silver before opting to try it, including which brands are trusted.  The last post would have you believe that colloidal silver is not safe because of a mayo clinic review.  If consumers continue to to place unquestioned faith in what clinics, doctors, and other entities in bed with pharmaceutical companies have to say, then we will continue to suffer.  I know where are people who have made their own colloidal silver incorrectly and have as such suffered.  But, speaking for myself, I did my research and found a brand carried by a major organic foods supply store, Whole Foods, whose particle size is proven efficient and effective in killing bacterial and other infections that pharmaceutical drugs cannot even cure.  I know.  I used this product and my issue was cured - completely.  While I'm not a spokesperson for colloidal silver, I do believe in consumers making educated decisions about their own healthcare.  I do believe in consumers at least investigating food cures, alternative cures, and other proven non-pharmaceutical cures for their ailments rather than just blindly trusting advice from such places at the Mayo Clinic who clearly have a vested financial interest in consumer healthcare remaining in the hands of the $3 trillion/yr pharmaceutical industry. 

My bottle of colloidal silver costed me $14 for the spray at Whole Foods.  I didn't need medical insurance, I didn't have to pay a co-pay, I didn't have harmful side effects or risk of death.  And, it worked.  Do your research.  Take control of your own health decisions.  That's my only point.

Good luck.

-Karen

If you wish to take risks with your health that's your business, but people need to be made aware of just what they're being given advise about.  We do that here.

And BTW, your message was never printed it was moved to trash.  You know exactly what I mean, so you wasted your time.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,491
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

The colloidal silver issue is symptomatic of much of our medical system.

I don't believe that sites like WebMD recommend against supplements or homeopathic remedies in general, or colloidal silver in specific, in order to protect the profits of drug companies as was suggested. Mostly their caution is based on  a lack of certainly--certainly as to whether these kinds of remedies work, and uncertainly as to side effects. So they play it safe.

A huge part of the problem is that supplements are not regulated as long as the manufacturer refrains from medical claims.  FDA approval is a laborious process, requiring extensive testing that can be hugely expensive, and the only source of funds for those tests is manufacturers who can exercise patent control. But things like colloidal silver, or Alpha Lipoic Acid, red rice yeast, or many other "remedies", some or which work and some of which do not, cannot be patented, and thus nobody can fund the studies that would be needed to get FDA approval.

The thing is some of these things work, and others do not, but the claims that are made by those who do not profit from their sale are completely unregulated, and often manufacturers will make unprovable claims for a long time before the FDA orders them to cease and desist.  So it is really caveat emptor--buyer beware...  If you want to use any of these, you have to do your own research.

In this case, while listing all the warning and cautions about colloidal silver, Web MD notes that "people still buy colloidal silver as a dietary supplement and use it for a wide range of ailments," which they then list, a list that includes the condition for which it was recommended here. Then they note that there is insufficient evidence that it is effective for many of those same conditions. And at the end they say that "Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins." 

So there is a decent chance that it may have worked for the person who recommended it. Just because there is no proof that something works, does not mean that it won't.  But the list of potential side effects is also daunting, and when there are other remedies that work, it usually makes sense to choose to play it safe.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
pcramer1
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎09-11-2011

Hello Karen, thank you for all the info on colloidal silver. Im not sure why you used it. Did you have a yeast or a fungal problem, or just some itching? 

you can call me Paul