Frequent Responder
critters
Total Posts: 128
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Grapefruit and Metformin May Have Ill Effects

here is a link some may find it old info, others may benefit from it...

Peace to you all...
critter
...>'.'<...
Long Lost Member
teresa.newton@dunbararm.com
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎12-14-2009

Is eating fresh grapefruit really a risk for T2 patients? I'm talking about eating a grapefruit a day if you are taking Metformin 850 mg twice a day. Do I really need to be concerned or is this just nonsense?

T
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,840
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

TsPeppers (12/14/2009)
Is eating fresh grapefruit really a risk for T2 patients? I'm talking about eating a grapefruit a day if you are taking Metformin 850 mg twice a day. Do I really need to be concerned or is this just nonsense?

T

This has been kicked about for years. There used to be a warning about grapefruit and metformin in the Mayo Clinic info., but it was removed.

Notice that the link says "simultaneously", such as taking it with grapefruit juice at the same time. There are currently no warnings though by the manufacturer.

There are warnings about grapefruit and statin drugs however. If you take a statin don't drink/eat grapefruit!!!!!

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
mharris4now
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎12-13-2009

I'm interested in finding out more about this too as I just purchased 2 grapefruit for myself. According to my diet plan 1/2 of a grapefruit is something that is suggested for a breakfast food.
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Maggie Harris (12/14/2009)
I'm interested in finding out more about this too as I just purchased 2 grapefruit for myself. According to my diet plan 1/2 of a grapefruit is something that is suggested for a breakfast food.

Maggie, 1/2 grapefruit, 5.5 oz has about 16 grams of carbohydrate. That is more carbohydrate than many on this board can deal with for breakfast. Most of us can eat more carbs for lunch and even more for dinner.

What else would you be eating with that for your breakfast?

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Thanks for the link Critter.

Anyone who takes Calcium Channel Blockers like Verapimil also has the same caution on the pill bottle.

I am not sure how many diabetics would bother with such a high carbohydrate food for breakfast and it is hard to believe that those who wrote the article feel that it helps lower blood glucose.

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Long Lost Member
funcruiser56
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hummm, seems like grapefruit does not agree with alot of meds, I have a couple others that say don't eat grapefruit or drink the juice either while taking the med. I have never been a fan of grapefruit, but makes you wonder what other interactions to food there are that we don't know about..

Bev