Responder
jalto2
Total Posts: 20
Registered on: ‎07-04-2010

Gout and Diabetes

My uric acid level is high and I also have diabetes. Elevated uric acid can lead to gout, which is very painful. I am supposed to follow a low purine diet to control the uric acid. However, everything I can eat on the low purine diet is what I shouldn't eat on the diabetic diet. Any suggestions? My latest A1C is 6.5 (up from 6.2). I take Metformin.

Thanks. Jean

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Gout and Diabetes

Have you looked at tart cherries?  These can be eaten in small amounts to avoid a sugar spike.  They are an old home remedy for gout.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

Hi Jean. My husband has gout, but is not diabetic. After two horrible gout attacks, he was put on allopurinol. He has not had an attack since (knock on wood). I don't know your circumstances, but you may want to ask your doctor about that. He did not find any effects on a gout diet, not that he followed it all that well.I hope and pray you find a good solution for yourself. Gout attacks are hard to suffer thru and hard to watch a loved on suffer thru.
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

My son has both diabetes and gout.  Prior to being diagnosed with diabetes, he had gone back and forth between managing the gout with diet and with medication, but after he was diagnosed with diabetes, he returned to taking medication, so that he would be able eat better for diabetes, with more green veggies and meat.

I suppose its a compromise each person has to make for themself, but that is what worked best for him.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142

jalto2 wrote:

My uric acid level is high and I also have diabetes. Elevated uric acid can lead to gout, which is very painful. I am supposed to follow a low purine diet to control the uric acid. However, everything I can eat on the low purine diet is what I shouldn't eat on the diabetic diet. Any suggestions? My latest A1C is 6.5 (up from 6.2). I take Metformin.

Thanks. Jean

It would be difficult to follow that diet with just Metformin alone, you'd need more help probably.

There are effective medications for gout, my mother had it and only took medication for it, didn't change her diet.

Talk more about it to the doctor, mention the conflict with the diabetes diet too.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,792
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

jalto2 wrote:

Thanks. Jean

Hi, Jean,

As others have mentioned, there is gout medication. My brother takes this and has for quite a few years with no gout attacks.

I'm ceratinly no expert on gout, but it seems like it's easier to manage than diabetes (esp. if you take meds for gout) and it doesn't have the horrible complications that diabetes does, so I would say, go with the gout medication and follow the appropriate diet and exercise (and meds) for diabetes. But do be sure your doctor is aware of the gout/diabetes combination and can answer questions about med interactions and such.

Good luck!

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Long Lost Member
dougzz
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎01-09-2013

Also struggling with diet parameters that seem to conflict for gout and diabetic issues.  Has anyone run across any specific diet plans, info, online tools, etc. for this situation?  Thanks all!

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

My son has gout, and he had been managing it with diet.  When he was diagnosed with diabetes, he and his doctor decided he should go back to medication to help manage gout, so he could focus more on a good diet for diabetes.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Occasional Responder
mikenov
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎01-02-2013

I take Allopurinol for Gout. I was still having issues and then I read about a specific blood pressure medication that can cause it. I can't remember which one but I ended up having to come off of that one due to frequent attacks. I rarely get attacks anymore but still take Allopurinol. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/319285-foods-and-medications-that-cause-gout/