kartmax
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-22-2012

Going off Metformin

Hello...

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around Feb 2012.

I was on metformin 500mg 2 times a day for 6 months.

My recent A1c reading is 5.7 and now my  gp has taken me off of metformin to see if my glucose levels could be maintained by just my diet/exercise.

My question is.. has anyone done this successfully.. how long after you stop the medication.. is metformin out of your system..

thanks in advance.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,441
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Going off Metformin

Hi, Kartmax, I was on a stronger med than metformin (Rezulin) for 6 weeks after being diagnosed at BG of 350.  After dropping the Rezulin (which was soon pulled from the market due to liver-failure fatalities), and 40 pounds after 6 months, I maintained my BG control with "just" diet and exercise (mostly exercise, because that involves more time and effort than diet) for 11 years, during which time most A1cs were around 6 -- ranging from 5.6 to 6.5.  You will probably find, as I did, that what you are doing with diet and exercise has been having much more effect on your glucose levels than the metformin.  For me, the metformin is just supplementary to my main plan.  What is your current plan?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

kartmax wrote:

Hello...

My recent A1c reading is 5.7 and now my  gp has taken me off of metformin to see if my glucose levels could be maintained by just my diet/exercise.

My question is.. has anyone done this successfully.. how long after you stop the medication.. is metformin out of your system..

thanks in advance.

It takes about as long to leave your system as it did to build up.  I'd say at least a month, give or take.  Don't expect any immediate major changes.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

kartmax
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-22-2012

My exercise plan  -  45 mins cardio - 2 times a week, weight training 2 times a week

My diet - 45 gms of carb for breakfast/dinner, 60 gms for dinner

I plan on continuing this and see how everything turns out..

It is encouraging to see people managing without medication.. kudos to you guys..

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,851
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,527
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

kartmax wrote:

Hello...

thanks in advance.

G'day

500mgx2 is a minimal dose. It will take a while to leave your system, but at that dose level I doubt you will notice any changes at all.

Congratulations on your success and your A1c. The best advice I can offer is to keep doing what you're doing :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,675
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

kartmax wrote:

Hello...

thanks in advance.

Congrats on your excellent progress!

When I was diagnosed I was put on glucophage (which I think is what metformin used to be called, or it's what was used before metformin came along). I took it for about 9 months, with the dosage changing several times over those 9 months. My A1c went down progressively, from 15.something at diagnosis to 5.something at 9 months. Woo hoo!

I don't know how long it took to get out of my system...I didn't feel any difference at any point while I was on it or off it--I just saw a difference in my numbers when I went on it, but once I got the numbers down (and the whole diet-and-exercise routine down), I didn't need the meds. Fourteen years later and I'm still not on meds...

Congrats again, and keep up the good work!

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Im in the process of meds reduction, ive had way too many lows recently. Have only went one day so far, bit ive been used to eating to battle the lows, so my sugar was higher than I like it, but a fiet change hopefully will help me out. Im on janumet, which is metformin and januvia, an insulin stimulant. I think its the januvia thats giving me the lows.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Occasional Responder
drazibob
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎09-01-2012

Hi

I'm wondering how your fasting and post prandial numbers have tracked since being off the Metformin. Did you notice any major difference either and initial up-tick and then a slow drop, or did you numbers remain fairly steady?

My doctor is looking toward taking me off the Metformin and basically I'm wondering what to expect.

I was diagnosed just after your first posting with an A1C of >12; was put on Glucophage 10mg 2xDay; and Metformin 500mg 1xDay. After 3 months, a lot of exercise and losing 55 pounds, my A1C is 5.8. So any info about what it was like being taken off, and how it affected (or didn't affect) your numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

drazibob wrote:

Hi

I'm wondering how your fasting and post prandial numbers have tracked since being off the Metformin. Did you notice any major difference either and initial up-tick and then a slow drop, or did you numbers remain fairly steady?

My doctor is looking toward taking me off the Metformin and basically I'm wondering what to expect.

I was diagnosed just after your first posting with an A1C of >12; was put on Glucophage 10mg 2xDay; and Metformin 500mg 1xDay. After 3 months, a lot of exercise and losing 55 pounds, my A1C is 5.8. So any info about what it was like being taken off, and how it affected (or didn't affect) your numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glucophage and metformin are the same drug.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
drazibob
Total Posts: 11