Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,142
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009
Helpful Response

Glucose & Ketone Meter

My son's girlfriend who is a serious coupon junkie got me yet another meter(free with coupon/nice that she thinks of me:smileyhappy:).  Pretty sure she got it at Walgreens, called the Nova Max Plus and it reads both glucose & ketones.  I never knew such a thing existed, only the pee strips which seem like a real pain trying to match colors.  I don't regularly check for Ketones but will keep this around in case I get the flu or something. 

Tom  

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Glucose & Ketone Meter

Tom,

From what I've read on childrenwithdiabetes.com website, the ketone strips for that meter,are in the neighbor of $10..00 each, + - a few. Some insurances will not pay for them. That was a nice gesture on the son's girlfriend part. :smileyhappy:

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Good point Trisha. Ketostix ketone test strips are about $10 per 100 on Ebay atm with free shipping, make sure they supply the expiration date. I get them from Ebay because when I bought them from Walgreens not only did they cost several times as much they'd expired a year prior to my purchase. Ebay beat them on all counts.

trisha01

gphxgphx wrote:

Good point Trisha. Ketostix ketone test strips are about $10 per 100 on Ebay atm with free shipping, make sure they supply the expiration date. I get them from Ebay because when I bought them from Walgreens not only did they cost several times as much they'd expired a year prior to my purchase. Ebay beat them on all counts.

Gphx,

The ones that Tom are referring to, are used with the glucose meter. These are not the ones (Ketostix) used to test urine. The NovaMax glucose / ketones meter, is used mainly for children. Parents need to know like STAT (without delay), if the child has ketones. Three hours later, could have already landed the kiddo, in the ER in DKA.

The ones you are talking about, you can get cheaper at wallyworld, at about $7.00 /50. The reason I say cheaper, is because paying $10.00/100, unless you are testing ketones several times a day, they will be worthless, after however many days it has on the vial. I think it has 30 days, but not certain. Mine are in the master bathroom, and hubs is asleep, and I don't want to wake him up, to go check the vial.

Therre is no need to test for ketones, unless one is running sustained high numbers - like 250 and higher, and are sick, vomiting, nauseous, etc.. The threat of DKA is very real, and trust me when I say it is no picnic, and can be and is - sometimes fatal.

Just to be testing ketones for the sake of losing weight, is - in my opinion, a waste of time and money. Especially when the real need for ketone testing is not on the vile or box, but does have in big letters "for low carbers" or something to that effect. Just sayin'.....

Trisha

Trisha

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Trisha wrote....

The ones that Tom are referring to, are used with the glucose meter. These are not the ones (Ketostix) used to test urine. The NovaMax glucose / ketones meter, is used mainly for children. Parents need to know like STAT (without delay), if the child has ketones. Three hours later, could have already landed the kiddo, in the ER in DKA. 

Glad you cleared that up Trisha. I was thinking of the ketostix that people used to use on the Atkin's diet to make sure they stayed in ketosis. Seemed kind of silly to me and I could not imagine using the same meter for both kinds of strips.

It sounds like a ketone meter can be a lifesaver for type 1s

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
trisha01

[ Edited ]

Dianne,

That particular meter is a lifesaver, especially for the kiddos. We experienced adult T1's, can pretty much handle the situation, since we know what to do - to help prevent DKA as much as is possible. Unfortunately, some folks, are sometimes in DKA and don't know they're Type 1 - until they land in the ER in DKA  -same as with most of the children. If the insurances would just get their act together, and not deny T1's life saving tools, etc. that are needed to keep us alive, all would be well. I have good insurance, but still have to jump thru hoops, at least once a year.

All it takes for us to be history, is just a matter of hours, when in DKA. :smileysad:

Worse yet, hypos will kill us faster. :smileysad:   :smileysad:   Even with my cgm, I still dread going to sleep at night. Getting a nap during the day, is easier for me, as my husband is usually awake when I take a nap, and checks on me while I'm sleeping. I've had some 2 and 3 hour extended hypos in the low 40's lately - while sleeping, and didn't respond to the alarms. I had 6 different hypos a few nights ago in one night, according to my cgm reports. Hypo coma is no fun either. The longer we T1's have been diabetic, for some of us - our autonomic responses to hypos, start slowing down, and the liver and cortisol and all of that good stuff, may or may not help us out.

Trisha ~ edited at 0056 to add what I had forgotten to type (and again at 0101) 

maplesyrup wrote:

Trisha wrote....

Glad you cleared that up Trisha. I was thinking of the ketostix that people used to use on the Atkin's diet to make sure they stayed in ketosis. Seemed kind of silly to me and I could not imagine using the same meter for both kinds of strips.

It sounds like a ketone meter can be a lifesaver for type 1s

Dianne

Trisha

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Worse yet, hypos will kill us faster. :smileysad:   :smileysad:   Even with my cgm, I still dread going to sleep at night. Getting a nap during the day, is easier for me, as my husband is usually awake when I take a nap, and checks on me while I'm sleeping. I've had some 2 and 3 hour extended hypos in the low 40's lately - while sleeping, and didn't respond to the alarms. Hypo coma is no fun either. The longer we T1's have been diabetic, for some of us - our autonomic responses to hypos, start slowing down, and the liver and cortisol and all of that good stuff, may or may not help us out.

Trisha

Some type 2's lose their hypo awareness as well but in most cases the swings from high to low are not likely as extreme as in Type 1.

When I first started on these boards I read a lot on the Place for Parents board. It was very active then and I learned a lot. Parents of those children are heroes. I have spent sleepless nights with sick kids but cannot imagine how difficult it is to never have a break in the constant vigilance that is necessary.

I expect that your DH is a hero too.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

What is a waste of time and money to you is important to others and vice versa.

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

I have a blood ketone meter. It is the Precision Extra and tests for blood sugars as well as blood ketones. Mine was given to me for free by an Abbot Rep at a Diabetes Expo 2 years ago. One thing to know is that about 35% of all DKA cases happen to people with type 2. In fact I have a friend who is type 2 and was diagnosed while in DKA  last year.

The other meter that came out this year is the Nova Max Plus. Amercan Diabetes Wholesale is giving them out for free right now.

Trisha is right. For parents of children they are a lifesaver. Blood ketones meters are much more accurate and faster for picking up ketones and are absolutely vital for detecting DKA. The thing is that when I showed mine to my GP a couple of years ago, she had never seen one or heard of them, so I did a short education course.  The thing is that a lot of insurance companies won't cover them but they are a must.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,142
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

OOPS!

I forgot all about this post!!!!!

I was at Walgreens last week and looked for the strips to price them but they must have them all locked up behind the counter cause I couldn't find them.  I meant to ask but got distracted when I picked up my meds and realized they screwed up on them and forgot.  That meter comes with 2 strips and when you fill out the warranty card and send it in they send you a couple more "thank you " strips.  They didn't mail them yet so I don't know how many will come.  Not covered by my insurance either but not like I need to test for ketones typically anyway. 

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4