Long Lost Member
mapepin
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

Gatorade substitute ...

I was wondering if there is something to drink that replaces electrolytes like Gatorade does but is safe for diabetics? Is there a commercial drink or a recipe?

Mike
Long Lost Member
type2runner
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

Gatorade substitute ...

I am a runner and there are a number of low/no carb eloctrolyte replacement drinks. I have been trying Zym tablets - they don't taste that great, but they do the trick.

Go to a specialty running or biking store and they will likely have some options there.
Long Lost Member
amolson
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Gatorade substitute ...

Unless you're REALLY pushing it, water is really your best option. I mean like doing 3 miles in 24 minutes, type pushing. At which point you'll need the carbs.

The only time I ever actually drink anything like that is if I KNOW I'm dehydrated, such as when I have a hangover. Generally this means I snarf down something with LOTS of B vitamins and maybe some jerky or other very salty snack. Of course I also love OJ and beef jerky when I'm hungover. Go figure. Highs are not a problem in this case, as I'm often fighting lows.

But if I remember correctly, the simplest way to make an 'electrolyte replacement drink' is something like 1/2 teaspoon lite salt (potassium chloride) and 1/2 teaspoon salt (sodium chloride) in a big glass of water.
Frequent Advisor
yoopermom
Total Posts: 436
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Gatorade substitute ...

Have you tried G2 made by Gatorade? It has 7 carb grms per 8 oz. serving?

Yoopermom
Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August of 2003
Metformin 1000 - 1500 mg 2003 - 2014
Currently diet and exercise controlled
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Gatorade substitute ...

mapepin (11/12/2009)
I was wondering if there is something to drink that replaces electrolytes like Gatorade does but is safe for diabetics? Is there a commercial drink or a recipe?
Mike

I sometimes drink the Powerade ZERO brand sports drink. It has zero calories and no carbs. It is full of B vitamins.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.