Responder
momto3
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎10-15-2011
Helpful Response

Frusterated!

Hi, this is my first time posting. I am 43, married and have three kids. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes 4 1/2 months ago and I am still trying to get a grip on this. I really do try to eat well but then get frusterated when my blood sugars don't reflect it. The past two weeks I have found myself eating worse and I actually had cookies yesterday! I ran/walked my first mini marathon last month in support of my diabetes and my blood sugar was high when I finished! I just don't understand that at all. I feel like giving up...some days it could be so easy to pretend like I don't have diabetes. My fasting blood sugar is the one I get the most upset with. It is always high. I have yet to have a normal one. Right now I am running in the 130's and 140's fasting but before this week I had acutally gotten it down in the 120's. The thing is when I go to bed it is lower then when I get up! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not been to a diabetic class because I thought I could handle this on my own but now I am not so sure.

~Missy

Advisor
annieO
Total Posts: 385
Registered on: ‎03-02-2010

Re: Frusterated!

Missy,

Welcome!  

You have come to the right place for help and information. There are a number of

people on this board who have dealt with the same issues and questions as you

pose and many will be along shortly to respond. Alan, Lizzy, Morris, and several

others all have a wealth of information to help you.

In the meantime, know that your blood sugar levels will fluctuate according to what you eat and your activity

levels. It can also be affected by medications. Are you taking any?

It may help to get you started in your care by seeing a dietitian who can demonstrate

to you how to use your meter and watch your portion size and carb intake. You'll find very helpful

information on this from others here on this board as well.

Just hang in there!  You'll have concrete anwers from other posters real soon!

Good luck to you!

AnnieO

Dx 11/09; Glimepiride & Onglyza

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Frequent Responder
BusyMama
Total Posts: 61
Registered on: ‎10-12-2011

Just hang in there!  I have found these forums far more helpful than the advice in my diabetes classes.

The advice here to find out how foods affect you personally is invaluable.  "Healthy" is relative.  If you are referring to lean meats and veggies, it may be all good.  But brown rice, oatmeal, beans, and bulger wheat are also "healthy" but may not be blood sugar friendly.

A bedtime snack is sometimes the solution to keeping your fasting in range. Combined with your high numbers post exercise you may want to read the threads on liver dumps and the like.  I like to call them "twitchy", "leaky" was used in another thread.   The  timing and what foods work will be something you get to "play" with.  I need a snack that has carbs/fat/protein in nearly equal proportions.  Ice cream worked for a while, and my favorite was chocolate covered almonds - just 6.  I tried a slice of cheese, a scoop of peanut butter, with and without a cracker or two.

Hang in there, and give your self time.  My personal opinion is that learning to take good care of you with diabetes takes time and effort not just a few hours in a class. I was 18 months post diagnosis, reading here everyday before I found the rotuine that kept my numbers in line. 5 years post diagnosis I am back here because things have slipped, and I can relate to your frustration because what worked for me before is not working as well, so I feel I am learning all over again.  Read here, keep asking here, but most of all be patient with yourself.

Diagnosed 8-06 Fasting 335 A1C 12.5
Successful Diabetic Pregnancy 2009 A1c 4.3
Current Meds : Humilin N and Humalog with I/C ratio and Metformin
Last A1C May 2011 6.4
Responder
psb25
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎07-22-2011

Hey I'm 43 as well and just diagnosed 5 months ago. Hang in there! I find that visiting a couple different diabetes forums each day helps to keep me motivated. Keep at it trying to pick up more good habits and I'm sure your numbers will turn around for you. Another thing you might consider is talking to your doctor about more medication. I'm on metfornin and lantus and I'm big fans of both.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,074
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,616
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

momto3 wrote:

Hi, this is my first time posting. I am 43, married and have three kids. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes 4 1/2 months ago and I am still trying to get a grip on this. I really do try to eat well but then get frusterated when my blood sugars don't reflect it. The past two weeks I have found myself eating worse and I actually had cookies yesterday! I ran/walked my first mini marathon last month in support of my diabetes and my blood sugar was high when I finished! I just don't understand that at all. I feel like giving up...some days it could be so easy to pretend like I don't have diabetes. My fasting blood sugar is the one I get the most upset with. It is always high. I have yet to have a normal one. Right now I am running in the 130's and 140's fasting but before this week I had acutally gotten it down in the 120's. The thing is when I go to bed it is lower then when I get up! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not been to a diabetic class because I thought I could handle this on my own but now I am not so sure.

~Missy

G'day Missy

Both of the problems you mention - high numbers after exercise and in the morning - are forms of liver dump. That is what happens when our body releases stored energy when it thinks we need it, whether we do or not.

Read this for a longer explanation: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

This may also help you get a better handle on "eating right": Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Frustrated!

Hi Missy,

If you read some posts from new people just like you you'll see that you're not alone, just about everyone is frustrated!  It's a frustrating disease. But not to worry it can be controlled.

I'm going to give you a lot of links to click on, but after you read them your frustration will be much less, I promise. :smileywink:

Regarding the high morning numbers, that the #1 problem people complain about, it's called DP for short, here's the info:  click here 

Now it will come as a surprise but not eating can make your numbers higher too, also exercise can do this.  That's call a liver dump:  click here

Now on to the most important day to day stuff.  Testing 101 and All About Carbs, look below for the links on them.  They will teach you a proven way to get control of the numbers.  It's worked for most people coming to the boards and it can work for you too.

This is lots of clicking and reading, but it will give you all of the basic information to get started.  There will be a quiz. :smileyvery-happy:

Come back and ask any questions that you might have. 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

[ Edited ]

HI Missy!! It's totally normal what you are feeling!! I was soooo frustrated and depressed myself for like the first 6 months. A year later, everything is so much smoother and I've learned how to balance my foods much better. You will learn too! Just keep reading these boards, we all have gone through or still going through what you are. It's tough because there is no manual on how to manage this because we are all so different.

Hang in there!! We are here for you!! :smileyhappy:

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Responder
ps139
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎10-13-2011

Welcome Missy.

Just wanted to say Iam there to myself,but don't worry like they said just try your best.

And it will get better in time.

Maybe you need to keep a journal at hand and write everything that is brothering ya. It might not make the problem go away but it will help you get it out and sort out your feelings.You may never know it might work in the long run.If you want to do that only a suggestion.

Thats what I try to do with the stress that I have going on.

And many other things.

And oh at...

@ Lizzy -About the liver thing,I never knew that,I just read the actricle.

I have another question,does that applies for people who have fatty liver diease or liver diease;since I have fatty liver diease ? Just wondering...

Anna

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

T2 since 2007

Take two different insulins:

Humlin 70/30 40 units 2x's day-

Humalog Pen-When needed.

A1c.-8.7 -

Since 9/19/2011

Tricor 1 x's a day 145mg.-
(for fattyliver diease & pancreastitis& high chosel.)
Responder
momto3

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am on medication. I am taking Glipizide ER 5mg with breakfast and 5mg with supper along with 500 mg of Metformin ER. I was originally started on Glipizide 5mg in the am and over the months was put on the second Glipizide and then most recently the Metformin. So in my mind I am failing at the diet thing since I have had my medication increased. I honestly don't know what a normal dose of anything is. I have been following my diabetes with my family doctor. I have all of the carb info, read labels, and have adjusted my diet for the most part. I know there is still more I can do though.

Responder
momto3

Thank you for your response! I am curious about the "liver dumping" and will need to get more info on this. Also, thank you for letting me know how long it took you to get your routine down. I am not a very patient person in general...I like immediate responses and I am finding that Diabetes is not a quick fix disease. I have tried adding a bedtime snack but do not always do this and do find that my am fasting is then higher. We are also late dinner eaters, between 6:30 and 7:30, which I don't think is helping matters any. I have increased my fruits and veggies, am carb counting and eat lean meats. I have also cut most sugar from my diet but when I do splurge and have a piece of birthday cake or some icecream I find that it doesn't really raise my levels like I thought it would. This confuses me. I do believe the carbs are my problem and am haivng a very hard time cutting these out and finding substitutes.