Advisor
shepherd1
Total Posts: 117
Registered on: ‎03-30-2010
Helpful Response

Flavored water

I posted this on the diet forum and haven't gotten and responses.  This forum attracts so much more traffic I'll try here.

I have a question on flavored water products such as, Sobe Life water and Vitamin Water.  Both now have versions with zero calories.  I've decided to forgo diet pop as I've found drinking it does seem to increase my appetite and I by any standard I was drinking way too much of it..  I'm looking for a good post work out beverage.  My trainer advices me to consume some protein and re-hydrate post workout.  I've gotten better drinking straight water during my workouts so now I will only lose .5 to 1 lb during the work out.

From a diabetic standpoint are the downsides to products like Sobe LifeWater and Vitamin Water?  I know there's a down side from a cost stand point.  I don't detect artifical sweatners in them.  Sobe's zero caloire drink explicitly states "no artifical sweatners".   I drink a lot of green tea during the day, and during the workout it's plain water.  A modestly flavored drink tastes really good to me after a hard workout.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Don
Type 2
Diagnosed fall 2008
Diabetes meds: none
A1C 5.0 4/2013
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,387
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: Flavored water

shepherd1 wrote:

I posted this on the diet forum and haven't gotten and responses.  This forum attracts so much more traffic I'll try here.

I have a question on flavored water products such as, Sobe Life water and Vitamin Water.  Both now have versions with zero calories.  I've decided to forgo diet pop as I've found drinking it does seem to increase my appetite and I by any standard I was drinking way too much of it..  I'm looking for a good post work out beverage.  My trainer advices me to consume some protein and re-hydrate post workout.  I've gotten better drinking straight water during my workouts so now I will only lose .5 to 1 lb during the work out.

From a diabetic standpoint are the downsides to products like Sobe LifeWater and Vitamin Water?  I know there's a down side from a cost stand point.  I don't detect artifical sweatners in them.  Sobe's zero caloire drink explicitly states "no artifical sweatners".   I drink a lot of green tea during the day, and during the workout it's plain water.  A modestly flavored drink tastes really good to me after a hard workout.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Don, I can only speak for my taste buds on the Vitamin Water, yuck.  I tried several different flavors and they didn't taste good to say the least.  I am not a diet-drink person at all and it may have something to do with that.  It took my taste buds forever to get used to sugar free creamer.

The only thing that should really matter to you is how your body reacts to the drinks, even if it has non-sugar sweetener in it, your BG can go up.  If you like the flavor, just test, since it's a liquid I would suggest 30, 45, and 60 minutes to find the peak.

Farida

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,483
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

I'll echo Farida's comments about testing.

It looks like you're paying attention to labels, which is important (of course), but it's your meter that'll tell you whether or not these drinks affect your BG.

I'm partial to mineral water myself (especially Topo Chico--yum!).

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Don, I enjoy water as is (I do have a filter on my kitchen tap that takes the chlorine taste away)

In the summer when I drink more water I add a small wedge of lime or lemon. I buy these fruits on sale and cut them up and freeeze them in small snack pack bags. They serve as ice cubes as well of course and are handy for serving with seafood.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
parkmama
Total Posts: 429
Registered on: ‎12-01-2012

ffmaya wrote:
Don, I can only speak for my taste buds on the Vitamin Water, yuck.  I tried several different flavors and they didn't taste good to say the least.  I am not a diet-drink person at all and it may have something to do with that.  It took my taste buds forever to get used to sugar free creamer.

The only thing that should really matter to you is how your body reacts to the drinks, even if it has non-sugar sweetener in it, your BG can go up.  If you like the flavor, just test, since it's a liquid I would suggest 30, 45, and 60 minutes to find the peak.

So I should test after drinking diet soda? I have never done that, I have a few glasses over the course of a day.  Never thought that could cause a problem.  What about those flavor drops/liquid that you squirt into water?  I picked up a sugar free one and occasionally squirt some in my water.  That could cause a spike too? YIkes. 

P.S. -- my daughter used to drink Vitamin water all the time.  My taste buds agree, yuck, loaded with chemicals and it was very pricey.  I got her to start drinking plain water instead.  Maybe I should take my own advice! :smileywink:

parkmama aka Eileen
Diagnosed Type 2
Sept. 2012 - A1C 7.1, FBG 109
Feb. 2013 -- A1C 6.3, FBG 99
June 2013 --A1C 6.1, FBG 99
Oct. 2013 -- A1C 6.1, FBG 103
Feb 2014 -- A1C 6.1, FBG 105
May 2014 -- A1C 5.9, FBG 94
Started diet and exercise changes Oct. 2012
Added Metformin ER 500mg 1x day June 2013
Increased Metfomin ER 500mg to 2x day Oct. 2013
Advisor
shepherd1

I might have narrowed the question too much. I know it has no impact on my BG readings. 

I'm curious if there are subtle factors with these products like there are with diet soda where there is now quite a bit of information posted to say while they might not give you calories, your more likely to eat more when you drink them or as at least the one study has shown that drinking even 1 diet soda a day appears to greatly increase risks of cardio complications.  I like the idea of the electrolytes after a workout as I sweat heavily and I work out for a long time.  However, I've read that there aren't enough in these waters to make a difference.

Don
Type 2
Diagnosed fall 2008
A1C 5.0 4/2013
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,387
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

parkmama wrote:

So I should test after drinking diet soda? I have never done that, I have a few glasses over the course of a day.  Never thought that could cause a problem.  What about those flavor drops/liquid that you squirt into water?  I picked up a sugar free one and occasionally squirt some in my water.  That could cause a spike too? YIkes. 

P.S. -- my daughter used to drink Vitamin water all the time.  My taste buds agree, yuck, loaded with chemicals and it was very pricey.  I got her to start drinking plain water instead.  Maybe I should take my own advice! :smileywink:

Eileen, I am in the habit of testing everything that I eat or drink regardless if it is sugar free or not.  For instance I eat Werther's sugar free and they don't even register on the meter at all, while sugar free (Breyer's Carbsmart ice cream bars (show a small rise), nothing huge but I still take everything into consideration.  I eat the Werther's throughout the day and don't even count them anymore.

Farida

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
sasooners1
Total Posts: 198
Registered on: ‎05-17-2012

@sheperd1-I understand your question and have been wondering the same thing. I gave up soda in July and have replaced that with the sugar free drink mixes instead. The research focuses on the artificial sweeteners and their effect on the brain. Since the studies blame the artificial sweetener and not "soda" per se, I think it is safe to say that it doesn't matter what we are drinking, if it is sweetened artificially then it is going to cause the issues they found in the research. Now, if you look at the findings, it is sort of a "duh" response because they say the sweeteners cause an increase in belly fat which is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Well, news flash, I have type 2 diabetes! The next claim is that because our taste buds sense sugar, but our body didn't register any sugar, our brains are confused and cause us to crave sugar. We succumb to the cravings and gain weight instead of lose it. The problem with all this "research is that they never take the diabetic into consideration. Like maybe the reason we are drinking sugar free drinks is because we are diabetic and not trying to lose weight, and maybe we have increased belly fat is because we already are diabetic and not just increasing our risk, and maybe the reason we crave more sugar is because we are addicted to it at some level and just want more because seriously if we didn't have this God awful disease we would be eating it! That, my friends, is my take on all this research into artificial sweeteners. We are caught in the middle, damned if we do and damned if we don't. (Steps down from soapbox) Now, shepherd1, none of this was directed at you or meant to be insulting. I was venting on the frustration I feel about all the reports out that artificial sweeteners are going to be the death of us. In my family, there is a long history that says diabetes will be the death of me, so what to do? I've considered using natural sweeteners with things like tea and sliced fruit with water. I can cover the carbs of real sugars with my insulin and not have to worry about all the awful possibilities of the artificial stuff. I've just never been brave enough to do it. I was planning to post something here to ask about it, but you beat me to the punch. Please know that my rant was just a rant and not directed at anybody. Frustrating disease we've got :smileyhappy:
Michelle
Diagnosed Type 2- February 2001
A1c at diagnosis 8.8
A1c 12/12-6.0
Pumping Novolog with a t:slim since February 2013
Dexcom 4G since February 2013
Advisor
1lainey
Total Posts: 295
Registered on: ‎01-01-2013

[ Edited ]

The flavored waters are quite expensive.  Water splashed with lemon or cranberry juice is the way  I usually go to rehydrate.

The protein post workout can as you know come from a snack that naturally contains it--what is the "protein" added to water??

If you are looking for a soda, have you thought about the flavored seltzers?  This what I drink because they have the bubbles of soda (which is what I crave when I am thirsty) but no additives or sodium and no carbs.

In my house we limit artificially sweetened products of any kind. Most of them give me significant GI distress. When my husband had issues with kidney stones, we ultimately connected it to the large quantities of aspartame he was getting (he'd finish off  2L in an evening)--first from diet soda, then from Crystal Light and other no calorie drink mixes.  No surprise, we have a couple of friends who have had a similar problem when they drank large quantities of diet drinks.  No research here really, just anectdotal evidence.

That said, a bottle of diet Dr. Pepper or diet Wild Cherry Pepsi does periodically find it's way into the fridge.....

March 2014 A1C 6.0%
December 2013 A1C 6.2%
June 2013 A1C 6.0%
December 2012 FBG 142, A1C 5.3%
June 2012 FBG: 154, A1C 5.9%

No meds--normal weight, mod-carb diet, exercise
Advisor
shepherd1

sasooners1 - I'm not at all offended by your post.  If I knew the answer to my question I wouldn't have posted it.  You bring up some relevant points.  To be honest I'm a huge Diet Mountain Dew fan.  If you told me a lost a minute of my life expentency each minute I drank the stuff so I should have stopped earlier I'd would have told you that it was still a hard choice to make.  However, when I analyze what I wasn't doing when I lost weight and maintained my weight and compare it to what I was doing when I put some of that weight back on and what I was doing for most of the last year when I wasn't losing weight when I thought I should be, one of the key differences was how much diet pop I was drinking. I decided first to cut back to 1 can a day.  That does seem gone hand in hand with less cravings for junk food during the day. 

I was crushed when I found a study on the impact of diet pop on heart risks.  When I read the headline I was pleased as it said something to the effect, "Heavy diet soda drinkers have increased cardio risks."  Since, I'd cut back my soda to one can a day I expected to read that I had reduced my risks.  So when I found that their definition of a heavy diet soda drinker was one can a day or more, I decided that I needed to go back to no diet soda at all.

I really don't know if I'm going to become a regular flavored water drinker or not.  It is very expensive but I like the taste.  When I work out I lift weights for about 1/2 hour and I burn up 500-1,000 calories doing cardio.  I really do like the idea of something a little bit more than just water for my long drive home. I don't think it impacts my BG directly as I've tested several times after drinking with excellent readings.  However, I've had 2 suspect tests with high readings but I may have contaminated the strips.  So, I'll watch this closely as the 2nd occurance happened tonight.  I haven't noticed a desire for an additional snack when I drink the flavored water which was happening to me when I drank diet pop so I'm not sure the driving factor in the studies on diet soda is the same.

Don
Type 2
Diagnosed fall 2008
A1C 5.0 4/2013