Responder
phalnop
Total Posts: 21
Registered on: ‎05-03-2012

Fasting for Colonoscopy and BG

I had a colonoscopy this week. Stopped Met when I stopped eating per my GP's advice and took my AM Met at noon after the test. So on the day before my BG went 130 AM, down to 106 at bed, up to 114 the AM of the test. Post exam (no polyps, yea!), I was 111 at bed, but 163 the next AM. My AM was a little high, like 140s, for the next 2 days, then dropped back to 117 and today was 105.

So is this typical?

Also, I'm trying to figure out whether my GP knows enough about DM T2 or I should see an endocrinologist. I started out at 4 tests a day, but she cut that back to 2/day after the first 2 weeks (AM and bed).  I'm leaning toward agreeing with her (because she is the Dr AND I didn't see a lot of movement in the pre-lunch and pre-dinner numbers anyway). But reading some of the forums, it seems like some people stick themselves after every snack...

Lastly (for today), how do I know when to talk to the doc about a med adjustment?  I know its premature right now, but all of the folks succeeding on diet and exercise give me hope that my daily walks and skipped junk food can someday provide a light at the end of the tunnel...

dx on 4/18/12 A1c 13.3, BG 385
5/31/12 A1c 8.3, BG 118
7/25/12 A1c 5.6, BG 110
9/11/12 A1c 5.6, BG 110
Sept Fasting BG avg. 104
Metformin 500 mg PM
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Re: Fasting for Colonoscopy and BG

phalnop wrote:

I had a colonoscopy this week. Stopped Met when I stopped eating per my GP's advice and took my AM Met at noon after the test. So on the day before my BG went 130 AM, down to 106 at bed, up to 114 the AM of the test. Post exam (no polyps, yea!), I was 111 at bed, but 163 the next AM. My AM was a little high, like 140s, for the next 2 days, then dropped back to 117 and today was 105.

So is this typical?

Also, I'm trying to figure out whether my GP knows enough about DM T2 or I should see an endocrinologist. I started out at 4 tests a day, but she cut that back to 2/day after the first 2 weeks (AM and bed).  I'm leaning toward agreeing with her (because she is the Dr AND I didn't see a lot of movement in the pre-lunch and pre-dinner numbers anyway). But reading some of the forums, it seems like some people stick themselves after every snack...

Lastly (for today), how do I know when to talk to the doc about a med adjustment?  I know its premature right now, but all of the folks succeeding on diet and exercise give me hope that my daily walks and skipped junk food can someday provide a light at the end of the tunnel...   

I don't know if you know this or not, but it's more than just skipping junk food.  It's watching carbs, carbs, and carbs.  When I first started all this, I thought I had to watch the sugar content in food labels.  After much frustration and attending a diabetes management class, I learned that it's not the sugar but carbs that I need to look out for.

I took metformin and lisinopril (for kidney protection) for about two months, and then my dr. gave me permission to get off them becasue my A1C was 5.4%. 

Now I manage it with diet and exercise.  So far so good.  One day when I'm too pooped to exercise, I may need to go back to taking them.  But for now I'm resolved to control my diabetes without them.

Good luck to you!

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Phain and welcome.

Testing is for your information, not necessarily for your doctor.  You can find the impact of the foods you eat and exercise.........all types of information from testing.  It's your best tool.

Medication is certainly not a failure on your part, but if you want to get off it, it will take a lot more control of diet and exercise.  You need testing to accomplish that.

Here's a link which will explain more:  click here.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

phalnop wrote:

So is this typical?

G'day and welcome. And yay indeed; it is marvellous to get a clear report from the doc after that procedure. I had one a few months back but it is still very clear in my memory. I was rather worried because my brother has bowel and liver cancer, discovered as a consequence of his colonoscopy.

I didn't have a rise in BGs as you did, but your numbers weren't terrible and it looks like they are now good.

Your doc may only need two tests a day to decide a medication treatment regimen, but you need more for your own information to help you improve your lifestyle management.

Please read this to see why I believe that (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Established Advisor
rwilson4374
Total Posts: 323
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

I believe testing gives more information about your day and how different events affect you. If I only looked at fasting and bedtime, I would complete miss my lunch blood sugar at 150 or dinner being 70. I feel less testing doesn't give me the information about how I am doing and I would be missing a lot of high and lows. Now on insulin I need to test more often to be able to control my blood sugar.

If you feel that 2 times per day is giving you the information that you need then stay with 2 times per day. If you have a good A1C then 2 times per day most likely is going to give you the information you want. Another factor is the medications that you are on that effect your blood sugar, if it is one that can cause hyper or hypo than more testing I would think would be beneficial. I started with 4 times per day and was never told to change. The 4 times per day helped my primary care doctor see patterns and then my endocrinologist see patterns and decided what medications would be most helpful.

If you feel your primary is doing a good job controlling your blood sugar and your A1C is in the range you want then stay with him. If you have complications or your blood sugar is not controlled then endocrinologist might be helpful to gain control of your blood sugar and getting it lower if needed. They often have Certified Diabetic educator to help you in meal planning, solving meal issues and reteaching you about diabetic diet.  For me my primary care doctor felt once my blood sugar was not being able to be controlled by diet I needed the help of a endocrinologist being I have many different medical conditions that all effect my blood sugar.

For a colonoscopy I haven't had that done since I was diagnosed but have done the prep and it was hard to keep my blood sugar stable for at least a day after. I have a hard time any time I have done that prep it mess up my system.