Long Lost Member
wtorres2543
Total Posts: 29
Registered on: ‎05-29-2010

Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Virgin Coconut Oil Bad for you Huh?

...So, after I was called "a newbie" believing too much what is posted on "natural health" sites, I did my research and decided to try it on my own body. At my own risk...

I added extra virgin olive oil to EVERYTHING I consumed. Soups, tuna, omelettes, you name it. EVERYTHING. And when I sauted or even fried anything, I used virgin coconut oil. No canola. No hydrogenated coconut oil. But virgin.

Wouldn't you know it, I had my lipids checked and here's my results:

First test (~ 1 yr ago)
Triglycerides 261
HDL 38
Total cholesterol 182

This week:
Triglycerides 90
HDL 41
Total cholesterol 152

Now, this government site: The effect of metformin on blood pressure, plasma cholesterol and triglycerides in type 2 diabetes m... states that "Metformin has no intrinsic effect on blood pressure, HDL cholesterol and triglycerides in patients with type 2 diabetes. Total and LDL cholesterol however, are significantly reduced by this drug, independent of its effect on glycaemia."

I have been on Metformin only 2 months.

I think I'll have some shrimp cooked in virgin coconut oil tonight.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Wanda Torres (7/9/2010)
...So, after I was called "a newbie" believing too much what is posted on "natural health" sites, I did my research and decided to try it on my own body. At my own risk...

I added extra virgin olive oil to EVERYTHING I consumed. Soups, tuna, omelettes, you name it. EVERYTHING. And when I sauted or even fried anything, I used virgin coconut oil. No canola. No hydrogenated coconut oil. But virgin.

Wouldn't you know it, I had my lipids checked and here's my results:

First test (~ 1 yr ago)
Triglycerides 261
HDL 38
Total cholesterol 182

This week:
Triglycerides 90
HDL 41
Total cholesterol 152

Now, this government site: The effect of metformin on blood pressure, plasma cholesterol and triglycerides in type 2 diabetes m... states that "Metformin has no intrinsic effect on blood pressure, HDL cholesterol and triglycerides in patients with type 2 diabetes. Total and LDL cholesterol however, are significantly reduced by this drug, independent of its effect on glycaemia."

I have been on Metformin only 2 months.

I think I'll have some shrimp cooked in virgin coconut oil tonight.

Congratulations on your improvements.

I do have a problem with many "natural health" sites. However, I have no problem with the oils you mention and use EVOO liberally in my menu, as you do. I use peanut oil for my sauteing and hotter frying. That doesn't mean I have anything against coconut oil; it just doesn't happen to be readily available to me and I don't see the benefit worth the additional hassle of looking for it. On the other hand, I'm experimenting with avocado oil for some things at the moment.

The benefits of good oils does not validate some of the other nonsense promoted on some of those "natural health" sites.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,454
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

First of all.....you are basing that assumption on just a couple of people that posted......I did not reply to you then because you came off as a person that was hell bent on trying it anyway.
I know several vegans that use virgin coconut oil EVERYDAY. They are both scientists and they have told me in order to reap the benefits you must use it everyday.
I have used coconut oil in several things but I do not use it everyday. I have found many other oils a little more reasonable in price and effectiveness.

You may make claims that this test of a few weeks has benefited your numbers but the original results were from a year ago.

I'm glad, in your mind that the results were good. When people come here we always encourage them to do research on their own.....don't believe everything you hear......and you will be a better person because of it.

See ya..........Big Red..............Peace

P.S. If this comes out the wrong way it was not my intentions......I'm on drugs today from a procedure I had this morning and have taken "happy pills".....Ang

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Good improvements there. I found my cholesterol numbers improved post diabetes dx which I put down to lifestyle and diet changes. I also use EVOO in my cooking but did so before dx as well and would not think the usage of it has increased.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,717
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Wanda,

I try to have some extra virgin olive oil daily in salad dressing, sometimes with my pasta, becuas it is one fo the good oils, reputed to lower LDL cholesterol and possibly raise HDL. I don't use it for stir fry because when heated to stir-fry temperatures it breaks down into carcinogenic compounds. And I haven't tried coconut oil quite frankly because I have never read anything pro or con, aside from the hydrogenated stuff.

Looking at your numbers, you had:

First test (~ 1 yr ago)
Triglycerides 261
HDL 38
LDL 92
Total cholesterol 182

This week:
Triglycerides 90
HDL 41
LDL 93
Total cholesterol 152
I have added in your computed LDL, using the standard formula.

Basically the changes in LDL and HDL are minimal and within the margin of error. What has changed significantly are the triglycerides. Usually that is the result of decreasing carbohydrate consumption, which also results in lower blood sugar levels. You don;t mention that but my guess is those have improved also because, most likely to some degree you are eating lower carb than at diagnosis. So that is where the credit is due...

When something changes, we can attempt to explain it by associating other chnages with it as causative. If there is only one other change , and it is a likely cause based on what3 others have experienced, then we can attribute the change to that factor. To be sure, we can try changing that factor, and seeing if the result changes.

But when numerous things have changed, sucha s happens to most of us after a diagnosis of diabetes (diet, exercise, meds in various ways) it is very difficult to be sure which factor has contributed how much to any positive or negative changes in our health.

One example for me was reading about how wonderful cinnamon is for blood sugar levels. I started taking a gram twice a day, and my blood glucose levels went down. I became a cheerleader, and my levels stayed down for about 6 months, after which I ran out of cinnamon. A funny thing happened--my blood sugar levels did not change when I stopped taking cinnamon. Later when I got a new supply and took it a few months more, my average again stayed the same. And when I ran out after a few months, no change. My conclusion finally was that the drop in my glucose levels when I started taking cinnamon was a coincidence that had nothing to do with the cinnamon...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...