Established Advisor
efpat
Total Posts: 342
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Evaporated Cane Juice

This morning I ate a Casual Gourmet Spicy Mango and Jalapeno Chicken Sausage.  I realized it had 12 grams of carb.  Then I read the ingredient list.  After the chicken and dried mango was fruit juice concentrate (ok not bad in small amounts) and "evaporated cane juice" which is of course SUGAR only slightly less processed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rest of the ingredients are spices and vinegar

See Difference between Sugar and Evaporated Cane Juice.

This gets me very angry. It seems like a marketing scam to me. 

That said the sausage was tasty, 160 calories per link and when eaten with two eggs did not spike my BS. 

Evan
Diagnosed November 2007. A1C - 11.4, A1C since 5.2-6.0. Metformin 1000 2x a day.
Best comment I ever heard from someone with diabetes. - "I take my meds and I cheat every now and then." This was from a 95 year old woman living with type 2 for over 50 years!
Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Re: Evaporated Cane Juice

I know, it takes me hours to shop. They slip hfcs into everything. Also though, im sensitive to splenda and aspertame. There goes 99% of a betics food choices right there. So I understand your frustration.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

This gets me very angry. It seems like a marketing scam to me. 

Of course it is!  Brought to you by the same people who say that whole grains don't spike your BG the way that white(bleached) ones do.  People who are into a "natural" diet will fall for it.  The advantages are very slight, and for diabetics mostly zero.

Marketing is the way these days, if you make it sound "healthy" enough even sh## can sound like a good food choice. :smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy (I edited myself BTW, before the board censor could get me)

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,671
Topics: 204
High Fives: 1,461
Solutions: 164
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

efpat wrote:

when eaten with two eggs did not spike my BS. 

Just highlighting the most important part :smileyhappy:

There are many forms of carbs hidden in processed foods, so I use that test as the true judge of the ingredients however they are described.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)