Total Posts: 6,938
Topics: 82
High Fives: 1,536
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Epsom Salt

Going along with what Morris said about considering your own circumstances, I have another question.  What do you think that Epsom Salts would do that plain water, or even plain water with a little antibacterial soap, wouldn't do?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My late husband had diabetes. My three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-14-2015

Re: Epsom Salt

Epsom salt contains magnesium. Magnesium has an absorption effect on your skin. It is good to help heal minor infection on the skin, but at the same time it has drying effect on the skin. This is especially potent if you use it in a bath, since the whole body is submerged and affected. If you have diabetes, you know that skin irritation and infection should be avoided at all cost. Soaks can cause dryness and irritation, especially to the feet, and can lead to cracking and infection. For people with diabetes, toes and feet already have very poor blood circulation, (This is the case even if you have no symptoms). These cracks, as with all open wounds, are perfect sources for bacteria to invade, causing infection. Therefore, using it in a bath is not recommended.
Also, when it comes to Epsom salt and diabetes, your skin will absorb the salt into your system. If there is too much magnesium in the body, you may have some fluctuations in your glucose level.
Some people do say that use, in moderation, or infrequent use is an acceptable risk, however, since there are SO many alternatives, that risk is enough for me to listen when I am told not to use it period, to be on the safe side.