Responder
75Janice
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎04-30-2010

Drowsiness - Exhaustion

My most recent A1C was 7. A new medication, Januvia, was added. Within the last three or four months, controlling my diabetes is much harder. I exercise, cut out caffeine, and hydrate frequently. I take other meds that sedate me somewhat. I am extremely fatigued but it varies by day.. I will seem perfectly normal and full of commitment to the next day's activity. When I awaken, I am wrecked. It is quite an effort to just move. My md checked my throid level and other measures. I was given a clean slate. I know 7 is not great but it is not terrible, either.

I exercise most days with aerobic activity. My plan is to add weight training after reading Becker's Diabetes The First Year.

My am bg meter readings can be 140 to 160 - even iwth meds. My endo told me to eat a small amount of protein before going to sleep.

With Januvia, my bg readings are all over the place. Sometimes I see 100 and even below but high number also exist.

This exhaustion can ruin my life. As soon as I get the cookbooks I ordered, I am trying a low carb diet. I am tired of always being hungry on the ADA diet.

Does anyone  have any suggestions?  My gut feeling is there is a physical reason. If it were only ddepression, I believe everyday would be hell. It always seems I have to play detective rather than rely on mds. I have controlled mental health issues. Once a regular  md knows that, I truly believe they use it as a convenient way to dismiss your problem. The stakes are too high.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Drowsiness - Exhaustion

Janice, I'm sorry that you are going through this rough spot with your diabetes. It is not uncommon and often takes a while to sort our just what is happening.

You are right that an A1c of 7 is not terrible. It is well below what many diabetics have and just on the edge of what starts to concern doctors and CDEs.  I am sure that you not only want it lower but would also feel a lot better if you could get those numbers much lower.

Are you using your meter to check your after meal numbers. If I get anything above 150, I feel quite tired. I could take a nap. However I have found that just a short brisk walk will get those numbers down quickly and restore my energy.

You wrote....

As soon as I get the cookbooks I ordered, I am trying a low carb diet. I am tired of always being hungry on the ADA diet.

I am not sure what diet you are using. There actually in no American Diabetes Association diet. But you might be using the Am. Dietetic Diet.

Many of us do eat fairly low carb. After all it is carbohydrates that our flawed metabolism has a problem with.

At my Diabetes Education CLasses we were taught to count the grams of carbs we had eaten for a meal and test our blood sugar at 1-2 hours after the first bite. Most of us were amazed at how few carbs it actually took to spike our blood sugar to an unhealthy level.

Someone in the class asked if the Dr Atkins diet would be suitable. The dietician answered that it certainly would get the blood glucose numbers down to normal but added that it was not the type of diet that many could sustain.  She suggested instead that the South Beach diet was good and easier to stick to.

I think you can create your own diet using an inexpensive carb counting paperback book as well as your meter to check results. Also there are sites like nutritiondata.com and CalorieKing. I eat about 125 grams of carbohydrate per day, have lots of energy and I am not nagged by feelings of hunger.

Others will like come along and share their experiences with eating a lower number of carbs than is often recommended for those without diabetes. I do know that we have healthy active members who ride, dive, run marathons as well a walk, swim and hike as well as exercise on home or gym equipment.

You will likely find your very own way to numbers that are closer to normal by testing, counting carbs, exercising, and of course checking with your doctor to make sure you are on the right level of meds.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Janice what medications for diabetes are you taking besides the Januvia?

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Janice,

Maple is correct about the cookbooks, usually way too high in carbs.

You can learn more about the eating plan most of us use by reading the following links:

What Do I Eat???

Also the two links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs will be helpful.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
75Janice
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎04-30-2010

I also take Starlix or its generic. 

The exhaustion period coincides with when my A1C was no longer 6.5 or lower. I have to eliminate the diabetes as a cause.

I was told to eat 45 gms of carbs with each meal. A low carb diet was called dangerous. I am always hungry on the higher carb diet. It would be easier to comply if I were not so ravenous. From what I've read, I will be unlikely to sustain it. I use diabetes cookbooks now. The recipes sound so good but the carbs are frequently above 45 for one entree. I laugh at the service size. It would be easier not to eat any ice cream than 1/4 c. of 1/18 of a lower carb cake.

It would be great if the community could pressue publishers into abiding by the rules. 

I have been unable to be compliant on the diet suggested by my endocrinologist.. I have never known such hunger in my life. My body runs on a 4 hour schedule. Eat or die.

Thank you for your input. It was so timely. 

Frequent Responder
mrstopdog
Total Posts: 50
Registered on: ‎03-10-2012

Janice,

I was always drowsy and exhausted, then started having physical symptoms, then depression problems, which became a life sentence.  I know what you mean about doctors.  I went to every 'ologist out there.  Finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, among other things.  It wasn't until I was recently diagnosed with diabetes that I decided to start taking care of myself and wanting to change.  I'm just not ready to lay down and die.  I push through the pain and exercise anyway.  I make sure I'm up everyday.  Some days I can walk outside for 30 minutes, some days treadmill and lift 1 lb weights, or 5 minutes at the punching bag.  Then there are days when I slowly get out of bed and shuffle around, have breakfast, lay down awhile, get up and do laundry or the dishes, then lay down again, etc. etc.  I figure the dishes will be there in the morning and the carpets will just have to wait until I can move again.  I have more good days than bad and have learned my limitations, but I push them anyway.  Somebody has to rake the leaves!  It just puts me down for a day or two.  Back to diabetes.... I have discovered that even the minimal changes I've made, with regard to food choices, carrying around a water bottle and exercising, have actually helped every area of my wellbeing...... when I follow what I have learned so far.   What I haven't figured out is how to manage when I'm physically or emotionally stressed.  Most people will say to exercise, but if I exercise while under any stress, it takes longer for me to recover and could put me down for possibly a week! 

Sorry I'm not helping you, I kind of went off on a tangent about me.  Have you been sleeping okay at night?  Getting enough fluids?  Exercising to exhaustion?  You probably know way more about this than I do.  :smileyembarrassed:

Dianne

Diagnosed T2 12/2011
a1c - 12/2011 - 7.1
a1c - 03/2012 - 6.5

Metformin 500 mg, Midodrine (beta blocker), Propranolol (lowers heart rate), Lyrica (fibromyalgia), Celebrex (psoriatic arthritis), Cymbalta (depression), Klonopin (anxiety)

Exercise: walking with my dog Angel, treadmill and weights, bicycle - just added - short rides to gain endurance

"Ultimately it is our mind that determines whether we are happy or miserable."
"Become rich with the inner wealth of wisdom and compassion."
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,473
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

75Janice wrote:

My most recent A1C was 7. A new medication, Januvia, was added. Within the last three or four months, controlling my diabetes is much harder. I exercise, cut out caffeine, and hydrate frequently. I take other meds that sedate me somewhat. I am extremely fatigued but it varies by day.. I will seem perfectly normal and full of commitment to the next day's activity. When I awaken, I am wrecked. It is quite an effort to just move. My md checked my throid level and other measures. I was given a clean slate. I know 7 is not great but it is not terrible, either.

I exercise most days with aerobic activity. My plan is to add weight training after reading Becker's Diabetes The First Year.

Hi, Janice ~ just wanted to say that I've found adding even a little bit of weight training (such as handweights) to the daily aerobic activity can help bg readings signifcantly.  I try to squeeze a few minutes in every day, but would like to do more.  What did you have in mind?  Are you still doing the Leslie Sansone walking workouts?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

What I haven't figured out is how to manage when I'm physically or emotionally stressed.  Most people will say to exercise, but if I exercise while under any stress, it takes longer for me to recover and could put me down for possibly a week! 

I've had fibromyalgia for over 30 years, in addition to severe arthritis, and one thing I've found is to only do intensive exercise every other day.  Your muscles are compromised and it takes them longer to recover.  You can either rest or do very simple exercise on the "off" days.

It's also very important to start an anti-stress routine.  Even deep breathing can help.  Stress is a fact of everyday life, you can't allow it to rule you.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

75Janice wrote:

I was told to eat 45 gms of carbs with each meal. A low carb diet was called dangerous.

I'm inclined to think that 45g carbs is sounding like it's a bit more than works for you. Myself, 30g works out to top end for lunch or dinner if I'm very active, and often closer to 15 to 20 if I'm not getting any heavy excercise. BTW, I'm still waiting to see any actual evidence of that eating low carb (I'm not talking ultra low to no carb) diet is dangerous in any way. Most things claims I've seen have been around brain function, but rember what the brain needs is BG in the proper range....it doesn't really matter how it gets there. So if you need to eat lower carb, it's fine. Just keep watch on the numbers and how things react with your meds.
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,605
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Yeah, I have to agree with billsreef.  Using the number of carbs doesn't account for your own metabolism.  Use your meter to decide how much you should have.

The idea that "low carb" is dangerous comes from people using very low carb meals to lose weight.  Using it to manage diabetes is an entirely different thing and it really would be nice for the medical community to catch up with that.  Of course, anybody can carry an idea too far and that can be dangerous.

Maybe some others can comment on this, but your description of up and down BG readings might not be tied to your eating.  I wonder if maybe you've got one of the 'special' conditions (e.g., MODY).  It's just a though; I don't know enough about what to look for to really say.  If you're trying to do all the right things and it's not working, then you have to suspect something else is in play.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer