Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Drink Pepsi, cure diabetes????

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/utah-kfc-asks-customers-drink-soda-support-diabetes-1840139...

Utah KFC asks customers to drink soda to support diabetes research

Buy an enormous jug of soda to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation! At least that's the idea at this Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise in Utah, where this photo of a new diabetes promotion was snapped.

Gary Feit, spokesman for the JDRF, told Joe Waters of the blog Selfish Giving who first posted the photo, that the promotion is only  happening in one franchise in Utah, where the KFC owner has a personal connection to diabetes.

Feit added that type 1 diabetes, which is what JDRF researches, is not caused by diet or obesity, but occurs when the immune system attacks cells that produce insulin.

Type 2 diabetes, on the other hand, is thought to be linked to obesity. Most people with type 1 diabetes could not drink sugary soda without seriously spiking their blood sugar levels.

Sugar-free soda would most likely be fine, though a Dartmouth study found that even diet sodas may raise glucose levels when consumed in excess. (Also, the promotion explicitly features Pepsi, not Diet Pepsi.)

Waters called the promotion "ridiculous." The Huffington Post and Gizmodo have both also featured the promotion on their web sites, the latter under the headline "America, This Is Too Much."

Link shows the photo for the promotion...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

What were they thinking?  Buy a "mega jug" of soda to help cure Juvenile anything!

Seems to me the $2.99 could go a long way towards any charity and the drink, diet or regular, would not be missed as part of a meal.

Ah well, I'm old. Didn't ever have pop as a kid and I'm not likely to start now.

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Frequent Responder
xanthra2
Total Posts: 418
Registered on: ‎12-01-2009

Soon Baskin Robbins Ice Cream will offer to donate when you eat a triple scoop sugar free ice cream cone.

He might just be uninformed about diet soda's affect.  I think just donating the money would be the best way to go.

As always, you have interesting posts Morris!
Xan
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

I never did like Pepsi anyway. Maybe that's why I have D now? Sheeesh!
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,041
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Who are they kidding, buy a large size surgery drink to cure juvenile diabetes. Come on!!!!!
James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them". - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 6.0 on 12/11/13

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

We don't go to KFC any more as they don't have any non-carbonated diet drinks AND they've stopped popcorn chicken (DH's fav).  That's a lose-lose for us.

I don't drink soda, and will always opt for unsweetened iced tea, or diet teas.  Sure KFC has water, but I already drink a gallon of that a day.

Sounds like they're going to creat a whole lot of wrongly mixed messages out there - sheesh!!!

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

that is too much. that is the reason i became diabetic because of the soda i consumed. I was a fool drinking soda like a binge contest.
Frequent Responder
SpeechLady85
Total Posts: 619
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Yes, xan!!!!!!!!!!!
Next McD's will be selling a new meal deal to benefit D research:
 frozen lemonade w/ raspberry (syrup?), an angus swiss & mushroom burger, and large fries (---sub a frozen mocha drink for a buck extra).

(I hate to admit one of my many transgressions this spring was that meal - but ordered it no salt on my fries, lol.)  --Vicki
At least the Utah people could have specified DIET Pepsi (I've always preferred Diet Coke).
Live (to the max), Love (and hopefully be loved), Laugh (at every opportunity),
Eat (healthily), Pray (if it suits you),
Love (yourself enough - to put your  health first).
Diagnosed 2001,  I am a work in progress = progressing to not let 'D' control me - with the help of my 'D' family here.
Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

lol cool once in a while is cool