Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,116
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Dr. Neal Barnard's Book about Reversing Diabetes

lizzylou (5/5/2010)
PETA is classified by Homeland Security as a terrorist group!

While they don't directly engage in acts of terrorism, they are known to fund "another" group that has bombed and burned places for the same cause. Typical double standard, can't hurt the animals but it's ok to hurt people.

BTW I prefer the other PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals I quite enjoyed those tasty chicken legs I just grilled for dinner
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,116

Got curious and just googled the guy. Read a couple of his sample recipes. High carbs, and not even whole grain in some. Things like regular pasta and plain old flour tortillas. My BG went up just from reading that! How can he possible promote that sort of eating as a cure?
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,717
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I think Lizzy must have been referring to something I wrote on the old message boards about Dr. Barnard, something I didn't save.

Aside from his affiliations, which frame his dietary suggestions, I think the two most important things are that his diet is pretty unrealistic and antithetical to blood sugar control, and that the promise of his book title is misleading at best.

While it is possible to manage blood sugar with a vegetarian diet, using nuts and avocados and beans for proteins and fat, there is very little room for error. Make that a vegan diet, and there is even less opportunity for good nutrition for diabetes. With diabetes you are limiting carbs, with vegan you are limiting protein, so what is left? Fat? Well that mostly comes from animals. So you 're basically living on vegetables, fruit, and grains with a vegan diet, and grains are very high-carb, and many fruits are as well. It's like facing a good pitcher with the bat tied behind your bat.

The other thing is that he promises to Reverse Diabetes, and NOBODY has found a way to do that. Manage blood sugar number,s control blood sugar number, influence blood sugar levels, yes, but Reverse, NO--can;t be done with current knowledge, diet or medicines.

LIke many of his ilk, Dr. Barnard combines just enough good advice, such as get some exercise (well, duh) with the rest of it to make people think he knows what he is talking about. But while his kind of diet may be fine for some people, it is not really tailored for diabetes, and he really should be ashamed to be pushing it as such.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,628
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck... Well, in Barnard's case, I think the term "QUACK" does apply.

There have been some LONNNG discussions about his 'work', but I think Morris did a very accurate job of summarizing the situation.

Please understand that Barnard is FAR from being the only snake oil salesman - there are many such people hawking diets or products that 'cure' diabetes. If you see the words "cure" and "diabetes" in the same sentence, then you don't need to bother reading further or asking questions; the writer is a liar. To actually cure T2, you have to change DNA and no diet or herb will do that.
Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Established Contributor
arrivedt2
Total Posts: 1,350
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

How do you spell CURE = "QUACK"

Promise me you'll always remember:
"You're Braver than you believe, Stronger that you seem, and Smarter than you think !"

Christopher Robin to Pooh Bear

Lee, T2 since 07/1988
Live long and prosper.

"Don't waste any tomorrows because of what you didn't do yesterday !"

Frequent Responder
Helenacj
Total Posts: 339
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

this might work after you get a pancreatic transplant.
Advisor
hondrigata1
Total Posts: 557

mollythed (5/5/2010)
hondrigata1 (5/5/2010)
We may have discussed this before, but I was in Whole Foods today and saw Dr. Barnard's book. I picked it up and scanned it very quickly, since I was on my lunch hour. Basically, the book promotes a diet that is based on whole grains, pasta, fruits, veggies and protein from beans and non meat options ( tofu etc). No dairy, no fat ( animal fat or vegetable fat) and no eggs and NO FISH! Not even egg whites. He said that the omega 3's from fish was a panacea.

Personally, while modifications could be made to promote less meat and too reduce fat ( I think a good thing) it appears that this would indeed be rather hard to follow life long. I do think that vegetarians do have a healthy diet if they choose the right foods. But, as I get older, I'm told to eat more calcium ( no dairy then). I do eat alot of spinach, leafy greens etc. He promotes a vitamin supplement as well.

Again, maybe this is another Bernstein theory of hard to follow diets.

We might all say that well, give it a try and test after eating the oatmeal, barley, whole grain pasta etc. It's too restrictive for me. What do you all think and are you familiar with his diet?

Lin

Dr. Neal Barnard is the president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). The group has a strong animal rights focus, and it seems to me that the vegan diet is an outgrowth of that focus. It also seems reasonable to point out that connection.

It is certainly at the opposite end of the spectrum from the very low carb, high fat, high protein diet that a few people were promoting around here recently.

There are people who for a variety of philosophical or religious reasons choose to be vegetarians or vegans. It can be done, but it takes a good deal of planning to get a variety of nutrients and enough protein, while still having an enjoyable variety of food. I would think, too, that it would require a good deal of discipline unless a person was already so uncomfortable with the idea of eating meat and animal products that it came as a relief.

The question for me is whether or not there is any reason to believe that a vegan diet is any healthier than a diet that includes a variety of of foods derived from plants and animals. My own conclusion is that while we can go to extremes in many ways with what we eat, we are omnivores and I would rather choose from as wide a variety of foods as possible.

Molly,
I agree with all of the answers that have come forth. I didn't realize this might be a hot topic. And as Lizzy pointed out, I might be attacked by PETA. Basically, all I needed to do was scan the book real quick to realize it wasn't for me. I hadn't seen his book addressed in this forum previously.
Thanks for your answer. Lin
Clean eating low carb diet and exercise, cardio/weight training plus Tennis, Body Combat and Zumba 6 days a week. 500mg Metformin;2X; A1C 6.8 of 3/1/2014
Advisor
hondrigata1

lizzylou (5/5/2010)
hondrigata1 (5/5/2010)
Did I start a firestorm? Where's Morris when I need him?

If Alan were back he'd have a great deal to say about it too!

It's like mentioning the name of the devil, and here he is!!!!!!!!!!(NB that is)

NB is the vegan poster person. Get ready for the attack, it's coming..........................................................

Lizzy

Oh no! I'm quivering!
Clean eating low carb diet and exercise, cardio/weight training plus Tennis, Body Combat and Zumba 6 days a week. 500mg Metformin;2X; A1C 6.8 of 3/1/2014
Advisor
hondrigata1

brenda8859 (5/5/2010)
This sounds similar to the Ornish Diet my PCP wanted me to try. AHAHAHAHA, that was a laugh. She suggested it for weight loss. I tried it for a week or two, but it was too restrictive. Hubby wouldn't eat that way so I was fixing two different meals. I said NO, gotta do something else. For one thing, too little fats in the diet will cause hair loss, been there done that on another diet. Lost weight, more than half of my hair also. So my opinion is this is too restrictive, plus the carb count of this diet is too high for some people. JMHO. Brenda

Brenda,
I agree, too restrictive as I scanned the book quickly. I have to start taking Fosomax and 1500 mil. of calcium a day. So, low fat dairy is a great source for me for many reasons. When I saw that, I said " forget that". Plus, I just don't believe that all of the carb that he proposes would make my numbers so hot. Not willing to chance it either.
Lin
Advisor
hondrigata1

Morris,
You know, I'm almost tempted to go back to Whole Foods and tell them that the book is a sham. But, I guess thats pointless. Maybe I'll go back and put a little sign on the book that says, " Don't buy this book" .....just joking, I won't do that. Lin