Occasional Responder
caloparr
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎05-14-2011

Dr. Fuhrman

I met Dr. Fuhrman, watched him on Oz, and follow lots of his suggestions. Basically, he's saying we ALL, not only those with a diabetic history, need to eat a healthy diet of foods such as fruits, veggies, beans, etc. As far as reversing or ending diabetes, I think he means by eating well-balanced meals and snacks, you can have better control of blood sugar levels, as well as, avoid the toxins in so many food products.
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,232
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Dr. Fuhrman

[ Edited ]

caloparr wrote:
I met Dr. Fuhrman, watched him on Oz, and follow lots of his suggestions. Basically, he's saying we ALL, not only those with a diabetic history, need to eat a healthy diet of foods such as fruits, veggies, beans, etc. As far as reversing or ending diabetes, I think he means by eating well-balanced meals and snacks, you can have better control of blood sugar levels, as well as, avoid the toxins in so many food products.

What Dr. Fuhrmam says is that diabetics can become "undiabetic" if they follow his diet, and that they can "get rid of diabetes".  To me, "undiabetic" means "not diabetic".  To me, if you are "rid of diabetes", you don't have it any more.  If Dr. Fuhrmam means "diabetics can have better control of their blood sugar levels by eating better", that's a "well, sure" statement that nobody would disagree with, but why doesn't he say that then, instead of claiming he can make us "undiabetic" and "rid us of diabetes". 

In his book, he discusses a patient, Gerardo Pettito, a diabetic.  He put Gerardo Pettito on his diet. Fuhrmam says "Ten months after Gerardo's first visit, he weighed 190, a loss of sixty-six pounds, his cholesterol was 134, his blood pressure 112/76.  His hemoglobin A1C, a measure of diabetic control, was 5.3, in the nondiabetic range. He was on no medication.  Rather than controlling his blood pressure and diabetes, he chose to follow my advice and get rid of his medical problems altogether."  He clearly says Gerardo was not controlling his diabetes, he had gotten rid of it.

Words have meanings.  We are entitled to interpret his statements according to the clear, unambiguous meaning of the words he uses.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187