Long Lost Member
robsol
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

Does thyroxine raise blood glucose?

I recently started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and noticed my morning fingerstick BGs are running about 10-15 point higher. I usually have fasting BGs in the 80s. Now they are in the 90-100 range. Anyone else experience this? Is this a known side effect of thyroid medication? Thanks in advance.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Robsol,

It does appear that this could happen with levolthroxine.  Here's a link:  click here

This link states:

Diabetes: Levothyroxine raises blood sugar levels. For people with diabetes, this may result in an increase in the requirements for insulin or antidiabetes medications. Monitor your blood sugar more closely when starting or changing doses of this medication.

You might want to discuss this with your doctor.

You can also find more information by searching "levothyroxine and blood sugar" which is what I did.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
debit202
Total Posts: 1,607
Registered on: ‎01-10-2010

Interesting info--.  I switched to 75 mcg's of levo about a year ago - about when my fbs changed from the 90-110 range to 110 to 130 range- hmmm.
Now- what to do about it? already on met(which doesn't seem to be lowering my fbs any)
any ideas?  I am unaware (which is no surprise) of other options for hypo thyroidism.  Actually my thyroid burnt out- but I am medicated as if I had hypo---

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

dx 12/2009 a1c7.4  3/2011  aic 6.6 long way to goto 5% club next a1c oct. 2011

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

That would be something to talk with the doctor about.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
SpeechLady85
Total Posts: 619
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Hi Lizzy
Thanks for the info on levothyroxine - I take Levoxyl, have for yrs (& will have to continue) since treated for Grave's Disease & they killed off too much of my thyroid. I had NO idea that it raises BS #'s! Now I'm wondering how many other meds I take may be doing the same thing
 -- Vicki
Live (to the max), Love (and hopefully be loved), Laugh (at every opportunity),
Eat (healthily), Pray (if it suits you),
Love (yourself enough - to put your  health first).
Diagnosed 2001,  I am a work in progress = progressing to not let 'D' control me - with the help of my 'D' family here.