Contributor
joyabba
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎08-07-2010

Does diabetes cause body odor?

Last week my 21yo informed me on two separate occasions that I smelled bad.

I may have had caffeine, which I have noticed for a number of years that it makes a noticeable odor on my father and I have noticed that caffeine smell on the 21yo. I think it probably affects me the same way but all three of us were also overweight.

So do overweight people in general have more body odor? Does diabetes somehow contribute to this?

It seems harder to notice your own odor but yesterday I was out of the shower not ten minutes and it seemed I caught an odor that I smelled funny.

Any suggestions? I have been having more caffeine lately because I am struggling with trying to get it all done, still not sleeping very long or well... yesterday I fell asleep in class several times.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

joyabba (10/13/2010)
Last week my 21yo informed me on two separate occasions that I smelled bad.

I may have had caffeine, which I have noticed for a number of years that it makes a noticeable odor on my father and I have noticed that caffeine smell on the 21yo. I think it probably affects me the same way but all three of us were also overweight.

So do overweight people in general have more body odor? Does diabetes somehow contribute to this?

It seems harder to notice your own odor but yesterday I was out of the shower not ten minutes and it seemed I caught an odor that I smelled funny.

Any suggestions? I have been having more caffeine lately because I am struggling with trying to get it all done, still not sleeping very long or well... yesterday I fell asleep in class several times.

It's enough to give you a complex isn't it? I'm pretty sure, however, that it has nothing to do with caffeine and everything to do with your new low-carb diet. It also probably has nothing to do with the mear fact of being overweight or not. Most overweight people don't smell bad.

People with uncontrolled diabetes often smell "fruity" or "sweet" which isn't really unpleasant. But people on low-carb diets have a different problem. They often smell like ammonia because their bodies are now burning fat as fuel and are in ketosis...its a very common side-effect. Your breath may be smelling bad too. This ketosis isn't dangerous or to be confused with the Ketoacidosis that is dangerous. Ketosis is a goal of many low-carb diets.

This can get worse in hot weather because it isn't so much coming from your skin as from body and your sweat can smell like that. I admit that it makes me paranoid too. I'm always using breath mints or mouthwash and I take chlorophyll tabs especially in the summer. I make sure I drink a lot of water too to dilate it somewhat.

While it's true that the less carbs you eat the more likely it is to occur, you don't want to sacrifice your numbers either. I guess there are worse things than smelling like Mr. Clean.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Contributor
arrivedt2
Total Posts: 1,350

Yes, "sweet and/or fruity" smell can be given off by a diabetic!! It depends on how strong the smell is, if the other can like or dislike order from diabetic. Any other smalls will those are not diabetic related unless "gas" from taking Met!!!!

Promise me you'll always remember:
"You're Braver than you believe, Stronger that you seem, and Smarter than you think !"

Christopher Robin to Pooh Bear

Lee, T2 since 07/1988
Live long and prosper.

"Don't waste any tomorrows because of what you didn't do yesterday !"

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Joyabba, We are what we eat and I think we have to include our meds as part of what we eat.

I had a retired pharmacist friend who said he could often spot those who were on drugs by the state of their eyes and the odor they gave off.

I stopped standing very close to him even though I was taking no medication then

I think that we tend to notice odors on people who eat different diets than we do. It used to be that some cultures that did not eat any dairy foods would find the odor of of those who do very offensive.

I do notice the scent of fried foods on peoples clothing as well as tobacco.

The only thing you can do is to shower often and make sure you have your teeth and gums checked. I would try not to be too sensitive about it. We are after all, human.

One last comment... To me the most offensive thing to do is to use strong perfumes that permeate the air space of those within 5 feet.

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142

One last comment... To me the most offensive thing to do is to use strong perfumes that permeate the air space of those within 5 feet.

I'll second that!!!! Being allergic to many perfumes it often makes me ill to the point of passing out or up-chucking.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Contributor
joyabba
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎08-07-2010

Enlightening information, I try to remember this fear of body odor is a cultural thing, that not even a hundred years ago people certainly smelled a lot more "earthy" with their lack of deoderants and daily showers.

When I find myself contemplating two showers a day... enough lol. One is gonna hafta do and if I smell weird then sorrrryyyy.