Occasional Responder
rosiepete
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎12-30-2011

? Does anyone know if radiation for cancer can affect your blood sugar?

Frequent Responder
rfamhere
Total Posts: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: ? Does anyone know if radiation for cancer can affect your blood sugar?

Any type of stress can cause glucose levels to go up or down, so yes it is very possible.  Keep your meter and your medical team close.  Wishing you all the best!

-Sue.
SAHM to five wonderful kids. Gestational diabetic x 5
Type 2 - diagnosed 3/24/08. Diet & exercise controlled
Diabetes Ramblings (blog)
My Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes fundraising page
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,754
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,489
Solutions: 167
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

G'day and welcome to the forum. I honestly don't know; it is not discussed often here. What is your own experience?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
rosiepete
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎12-30-2011

I found out I had diabetes right before I had breast cancer surgery.I just finished 30 radiation treatments. I have been following the diet and getting on the treadmill every day for 30 minutes and am getting frustrated as my numbers do not go down like I think they should. Also on 500 mg of metformen. Someone told me radiation could affect it.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,754
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,489
Solutions: 167
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

rosiepete wrote:

I found out I had diabetes right before I had breast cancer surgery.I just finished 30 radiation treatments. I have been following the diet and getting on the treadmill every day for 30 minutes and am getting frustrated as my numbers do not go down like I think they should. Also on 500 mg of metformen. Someone told me radiation could affect it.

Aha! I think we may be able to help you :smileyhappy:

Best wishes on a successful outcome from the radiation treatment. However, your problem for the blood glucose levels is much more likely to be this than the radiation:

I have been following the diet

The big questions is what diet? I think I can guess what diet you are following, but I would appreciate it if you would give some details.

Before you answer, please read this to see the context for my question: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,081
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

If "the diet" is the typical one most of us were handed at diagnosis, it's really just a starting point. Most of us find we need to eat even fewer carbs than those typical recommendations. Alan's link will help you figure it out :smileywink: The met dose you are on is a minimal starting dose, generally not expect to have any real BG effect, but used to start getting your system used to it in order to avoid the side effects being too bad. Met also takes several weeks to a couple of months to truly kick in be effective as well.