Long Lost Member
odisius
Total Posts: 46
Registered on: ‎09-24-2010

Does Diabete's cause memory loss and if so can it be corrected.

I moved this cause there was so much of none caring, not very helpful info at all & I have been here before and had a wonderful exprience with really nice people. So I am going to try this again.

Well I have been having problems with my memory , found out by a Endocrinology Doctor that my home Doctor had me over med, cause I have had so many sugar crush.But now that I have New Endocrinology Doctor everything has been good .
Now my memory has gotten worse and I went to a Neuology did all the test , scan's and found nothing wrong with me only to say it is caused by my diabetes. So is this true and I sure hope there is a correction in this, cause I cant remember very good at all.
I take Novolog 3 times a day 9units twice a day and 15units at supper time and Lantus once at nite 25units.

Medications

Name Amount Frequency Condition/Reason For Mediction Notes
Lisinopril 10mg once a day Heart
Levothyroxine 150mg once a day Thyroid
Atenolol 25mg once a day High blood pressure
Fluoketine 20mg three a day Depression
Novolog 9units morning & Noon Diabetes
Novolog 15units supper meal Diabetes
Lantus 25units once at Bedtime Diabetes
Verdeso Cream after each shower Skin Condition
Fluocinonide Cream after each shower Skin Condition Hands and Forearms
Desonide Cream after each shower Skin Condition Face
Clonazepam 5mg once at Bedtime Restless Leg Syndome
Zolpidem 5mg once at Bedtime Restless Leg Syndome
RopInirole 25mg once at Bedtime Restless Leg Syndome

I know Lizzy helped me out alot and so has other's which I thank you. What can I do , ok so Neurology says to get back with Endocrinology and I was told there is nothing they can do Help they are saying that my diabete's is the problem Help Please my blood test A1C twice now in arow has been A1C 6.8 OR 7.3 was the earlier one of last year .
So Lizzy ,Alan,Brenda, Morris Older you all help me out before and it was greatly appreciated so I have looked on the internet and I thought that I would come back here hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel. My user name before was igoe

I forgot that I had an account here already..

I did see my Endocrinology and says yes it does happen , one client he had to put into a home so he could be watched and monitored through the day for several month's until he got better . So now he wants me to control my suger level a 98-140units all day Im a have been keeping it a 88-150units so what could just that change or help with my memory loss. Any Idea's...........................................

How hard is it to keep you numbers close or even like mind are :

Insulin Injections Monitoring Blood 

Mon Novolog 9units 9units 14units                    124-138-89
Lantus 25units
Tue Novolog 9units 9units 14units                     125-131-117
Lantus 25units
Wed Novolog 9units 9units 14units                    119-136-112
Lantus 25units
Thur Novolog 9units 9units 14units                    102-115-98
Lantus 25units
Fri Novolog 9units 9units 14units                        117-139-100
Lantus 25units

This is 5 days of numbers
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Glad you came back Odisius and I hope you get on topic responses now and none of unpleasantries as on your last try.

I don't really have much of an answer to your question but when I googled "diabetes and memory loss" I did come up with one article on a site I would trust.

It is found on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8527160.stm

and you will have to cut and paste that url so you can read the article.

Maybe some kind soul will make a proper link for you (hint hint )

Good luck,
Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,002
Topics: 295
High Fives: 571
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Here you go, Dianne. Just wondering though, if that .stm is supposed to be .htm? Reckon we'll find out. :smileyhappy:

Diabetes & memory loss 

Trisha
DX 1984 IDDM (250.01)

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

trisha01

I will add, since I am Type 1, that too many or prolonged hypos, can also mess with one's memory. I'm not referring to the 60's to 70's range of Bg's. After I went into diabetic hypoglycemic coma in the middle of the night, about 2 years ago, my memory is nothing what it used to be. It is still excellent, just not as much as before.

It would be uncommon, I think, for Type 2's - insulin or no insulin, to have the same type of effects, as the hypos for Type 1's are much more pronounced, and more on a daily basis, sometimes with several hypos in one day. I cannot even begin to count the number of times that I've been in the 30's, 20's; and LO's -which is under 20.

I see that the OP is on insulin, and possibly could be having some hypos. It doesn't appear that he is carb counting, but rather is on a sliding scale. That could possibly be the difference for him.

Trisha - edited to add a couple of words
DX 1984 IDDM (250.01)

Trisha

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Odisius,

I'm glad too that you are asking again--perhaps this time we can avoid getting distracted, and somebody with some good knowledge on this will see your question  and step forward with good advice.

I am afraid though that I'm not that person--as I really don't know much about this at all. I think I said that in the original thread, but can certainly understand how that comment might have been lost in the irrelevant directions that thread took

I do wish you luck in figuring it out...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

What I attempted to contribute last time got buried under an avalanche of negativity. There is some very interesting new information out there which could quite possibly be of interest and benefit to you. I certainly think it's worth a few minutes of your time to read and consider - never mind the naysayers.

The good news is:
  1. If true, it is something you can do all by yourself and does not require any medication or assistance of any kind.
  2. The course of action (ketosis) is something which has been done by millions of people for decades (a more intense form of it has been used clinically for over 100 years) and is not some risky or experimental course of action.

In addition to the two articles below, you can google Dr. Veech and "NIH" who is one of the leading researchers in this new area.

Type 3 Diabetes?

Ketones to the Rescue

Established Contributor
gibby767
Total Posts: 1,009
Registered on: ‎11-27-2010

Anni
Dx'd 12/2010 BMI 22.5 A1C 5.4 (6/2011 = 5.7; 9/2/11 - OMG - 5.2!!!!!!!)
MODY 3 Diabetes Onglyza & Levemir 5 Units Nightly + Humulin R Bolus 1:25 I:C Ratio
Limit Carbs/Eat to Meter
Walk 3 Mi 3-4X Wk

Fam Hx: Dad/Ptnl Aunt & 2 1st Cousins also presumed MODY3; Likely traces to Ptnl Great Grandmother who is presumed to have developed gestational DM in 1882 and died in Russia when my grandfather was 5 yrs old.

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

BTW, just want to make sure a few things are clear.  Most of the research in this area is about trying to synthesize ketones into some kind of medication which can be manufactured and marketed (of course).

I have a nice supply of ketones in my blood at all times without the need for any medication.  I accomplish this by means of a low-carb/high-fat diet as well as consistent use of medium-chain fatty acids (or "medium-chain triglycerides" or MCTs) mostly from coconut oil. (If you don't know about MCTs, I highly recommend a few minutes on Google to learn about these amazing substances.)

I started this mainly for the best possible control of my T2 - lowering not just glucose to normal levels, but insulin to normal levels as well. Most of my tissues are "fueling" off ketones or free fatty acids and have very little need for glucose - and hence for insulin - at all.

I am highly encouraged by the prospect that these same ketones are also available to my brain cells. These cells could very well be silently suffering from glucose starvation (as described in the article I linked to), something which could be 10 or even 20 years before and recognizable problems with cognition or memory.

Insulin resistance and/or insulin deficiency IN THE BRAIN, something only very recently discovered, could be slowly destroying nerve cells in the brain for many years before the problem becomes known.

This, to me is another very possible - and if so VERY major - benefit or advantage from the course of action I have chosen (LC/HF ketogenic diet). I'm protecting my whole body from excessive glucose and excessive insulin and (I hope) my brain's cells from glucose starvation and damage.

trisha01

Salim,

Lest you forget, the OP TAKES INSULIN!  When someone takes INSULIN, and goes into hypoglycemia, those damn ketones will not save him. The brain needs glucose, especially during a hypoglycemic attack. PLEASE, why can't you get that through your head? What is so hard about understanding it??? The OP takes insulin.

Trisha
DX 1984 IDDM (Type 1)
Salim Morgan says:
BTW, just want to make sure a few things are clear.  Most of the research in this area is about trying to synthesize ketones into some kind of medication which can be manufactured and marketed (of course).

I have a nice supply of ketones in my blood at all times without the need for any medication.  I accomplish this by means of a low-carb/high-fat diet as well as consistent use of medium-chain fatty acids (or "medium-chain triglycerides" or MCTs) mostly from coconut oil. (If you don't know about MCTs, I highly recommend a few minutes on Google to learn about these amazing substances.)

I started this mainly for the best possible control of my T2 - lowering not just glucose to normal levels, but insulin to normal levels as well. Most of my tissues are "fueling" off ketones or free fatty acids and have very little need for glucose - and hence for insulin - at all.

I am highly encouraged by the prospect that these same ketones are also available to my brain cells. These cells could very well be silently suffering from glucose starvation (as described in the article I linked to), something which could be 10 or even 20 years before and recognizable problems with cognition or memory.

Insulin resistance and/or insulin deficiency IN THE BRAIN, something only very recently discovered, could be slowly destroying nerve cells in the brain for many years before the problem becomes known.

This, to me is another very possible - and if so VERY major - benefit or advantage from the course of action I have chosen (LC/HF ketogenic diet). I'm protecting my whole body from excessive glucose and excessive insulin and (I hope) my brain's cells from glucose starvation and damage.

Trisha

Valued Contributor
ajsammycat
Total Posts: 906

Odisius,

Another possibility that no one has mentioned yet is your antidepression drug. It is well-known that many psychiatric medications can impact both short-term and long-term memory, as well as working memory (your ability to keep information available to you but without necessarily rehearsing it). In most cases, the antidepressant you are on (fluoxetine, aka Prozac) appears to to be able to improve memory in certain patients. However, I was able to find one citation that indicated memory impairment due to fluoxetine use. It is possible you are one of the few who experience memory impairment while on fluoxetine.

You are also on three different medications for restless legs syndrome, and memory impairment is a side effect for two of them (Clonazepam and Ropinirole), while Zolpidem can cause a "drugged feeling" (which I would think could interfere with memory consolidation). You should report this to the doctor who prescribed these drugs ASAP, as well as your pharmacist and perhaps even the FDA in an adverse drug event report. It is impossible for me to know which one specifically is the cause of your problem; your best bet is to make an appointment with your doctor to talk to him/her about this situation. Bring all of your medications, both prescription and non-prescription, AND any "herbal treatments" (even cough drops and tea) you are currently taking to the appointment.

Another possibility is that your current dosage of levothyroxine is too low. Have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked recently and were they in the "normal" range? Also, how is your blood pressure? If your blood pressure is not adequately controlled, that, too, can impact your mental functioning.

Is your diabetes to blame for your memory issues? It is a possibility. While you have achieved better control as indicated by your A1c (down to 6.8 from 7.3), you don't indicate what your bgs are looking like on a day-to-day basis. So, my big question is: Are you testing your blood glucose and if so, how often? Are you having highs and lows? Just highs? Just lows? Your ability to think clearly and rationally (and I would argue, to consolidate memories) is dependent on your blood glucose control, and if your A1c is way over target or you are having frequent lows, then your memory problems could be due to your diabetes. Again, to determine if that is the problem, you need to test your bgs on a regular basis (e.g. before eating and 1-2 hours after eating, before and after exercising, in the middle of the night, when you feel mentally "foggy", etc.) and you need to examine those readings against a diary you might want to start keeping in which you describe your mental states. If, for example, you find that your bgs are running around 280-350 when you're feeling most in a fog, then that could suggest some involvement of your diabetes. On the other hand, if you find no pattern to your bgs and when you feel most in a fog, then that suggests that it's not likely your diabetes is causing your problem, but that it is something else.

Ok? Let me bottom line it for you: You have a lot going on and are taking a lot of different medications, several of which can impact your memory. Therefore, these medications may be causing your problems. That is my first thought. You have two conditions other than diabetes which may be causing your problems, unless they are being adequately managed. They, too, ought to be examined to determine if they are having an impact on your memory. Finally, your diabetes may, in fact, be causing your memory problems. That problem is one that you can figure out using a diary and your blood glucose meter. As Alan would say TEST, TEST, TEST. Then test some more. After a few weeks of testing and recording your numbers against your mental states, you may see a pattern start to appear. Oh, if you want to use your computer to help you see these patterns, I would recommend SugarStats, a site which allows you to upload your numbers to a secure website and which will convert those numbers to usable graphs and statistics. They have a free version and a paid version, so if you're cash-strapped, this is an option.

Good luck!

Angela