Responder
eparksrr
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎10-06-2010

Re: Dill Pickles??

I keep listening to experience rather than experiencing myself safer that way When you mentioned pickles I thought of cider vinegar which I mixed with water and that would nudge the bs down but wife told me I was stupid so  bounced around 289 bs had stents put in 12/21 and in Jan found ADA and put myself first and shut my mouth now 5.9 a1c still cruise and listen to waiters plead when I ignore deserts so keep reading  you'll learn more than most drs.still searching and thanking those who put me right

Established Advisor
lynnkb
Total Posts: 360
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

I remember reading something about vinegar, specifically apple cider vinegar (although I imagine most vinegars are more or less equal) lowering blood glucose. You may want to do a bit of web searching to see what you come up with.
Diagnosed 9/2011, Ha1C 9.6
1/13/2012 - 6.2
9/20/2012 - 5.7
12/26/2012 - 5.1
8/21/2013 - 5.7
9/15/2013 - 5.8
11/18/2013 - 5.6
1/10/2014 - 5.4 (Home test)
2/24/2014 - 5.6

Suspected MODY.
Responder
becky60
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎01-01-2010

We did a 32 day cruise and the best thing about it was they had a walking group, a great gym and dancing till dawn! I lost 3 lbs. Have a great time!

Occasional Responder
oceangoinggal
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎08-11-2010

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate all of you for your efforts. I guess we are all in this together so we reach out to help when we can. After a year I am just starting to get a handle on this. Still not quite understanding or believing that this illness has happened to me. My attitude before diagnosis was that this illness only happens to other people, it won't happen to me. A rude awakening that really opened my eyes. Thanks for being here. Maybe sometime I will have the knowledge to help someone too.

Sea ya!
Laura
OceanGoingGal
Cruise Consultant
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I've done a couple of cruises, and they are pretty good for us with all the buffet choices.  You will find sugar-free desserts, however all looked full of other carbs, so I avoided those and just went for cheesecake as this is one of the safest desserts for us.

I 'planned' to have some pizza and a burger at different times on the cruise, but always after a long walk ashore or doing a few sea-miles on a treadmill in the workout room.

I took a bunch of snacks with me (nuts, peanut butter etc.) but only ate a few nuts first thing in the mornings, waiting for the family to wake up to have breakfast.  There are so many choices on board, you really won't need to take much food and I found the staff wonderful in allowing me to sub potato and other high-carb sides with steamed veggies.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Occasional Responder
billy2222
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎11-25-2013

Pickles in vinegar base absolutely regulate your blood sugar, plain vinegar will do the trick to. It is proven. II have been using them for years to cut my sugar levels. Mendosa website reccomends them. 

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,851
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,527
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

billy2222 wrote:

Pickles in vinegar base absolutely regulate your blood sugar, plain vinegar will do the trick to. It is proven. II have been using them for years to cut my sugar levels. Mendosa website reccomends them. 

I use vinegar in my cooking and on salads. Like many other herbs, spices and food ingredients I include it as part of my menu, not as a specific glucose-lowering agent. The same applies to pickles, dill or otherwise.

Billy, the post you replied to is a couple of years old. I notice your only other post is also about pickles. Would you like to introduce yourself and tell us a little more about yourself and how you mange your diabetes?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
billy2222
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎11-25-2013

Hi, I am 48 and was diagnosed in 2003, I take Metformin and Glipizide and my A1c is 5.6, I pretty much eat what I want except if it is something high glycemic I will add fiber to it or vinegar or pickles  to cut the effect. So far it has worked great. In 2003 my A1c was 7.6.  I  am still overweight and can't seem to lose a pound, I can't exercise much as I can't walk due to hip and back operations. But all my other vitals have improved after learning to eat in smaller meals. I eat about 10 times a day no more than 250 calories at one time. I stay away from high carbs like white flour and high fat stuff but like I said, If I want to eat cake, I eat a small piece. I aslo take gymnema sylvestre, The Indians use this as a prescription drug to lower blood sugar. It works great, cuts my sugar about 10 pts. 

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,851
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,527
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the intro Billy.

We have very different ways of managing our diabetes, but your A1c shows that your way is working for you.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
glendaflandes
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-29-2014

i am new to this sight tho i have had diabetes for years. but recently i found the same thing with pickles. my sugar is lower with eating them..