Occasional Responder
oceangoinggal
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎08-11-2010

Dill Pickles??

This is really odd. After weeks of anguishing over my blood glucose readings and feeling really frustrated something strange happened to me.  For 2 days in a row I was eating kosher dill spears with my sandwich at lunch time.. My glucose level was high at 215. The first morning after eating the pickles it had dropped to 185 then this morning it had dropped to 150. I realize these numbers are still high but they are a big improvement over where I have been. It seemed no matter how good I had been there was little improvement. I looked over everything I ate all week and the pickles were the only thing that was not there before. I am not saying that pickles are some sort of "miracle" I am  more inclined to think this is some sort of weird coincidence. Give me some opinions here. I have been diagnosed for about 18 months now and have never been much below 130 any morning. No matter how close I had been on my diet.

Laura

Sea ya!
Laura
OceanGoingGal
Cruise Consultant
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Dill Pickles??

Keep experimenting with the pickles and log everything.   My guess is it's more the vinegar helping your BG numbers and/or that you're eating those instead of something else with carbs, but only some careful lab work on your part will tell.

Good Luck!

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Frequent Responder
jabman
Total Posts: 81
Registered on: ‎07-19-2010

Hi Oceangoingal,

welcome to the forum,

I am no expert on this by any means, I am sure someone will be along with some answers. I know you said you were looking over everything you ate but have you tried to switch what you are eatting? It could be certin foods making your bg higher maybe you could experment on what you are eatting also keeping a food journal can help.

A1c last checked on 6/3/2011 was 5.4
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Philippians 4:13)

Established Advisor
jptdad
Total Posts: 298
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Could be you replaced an evil something with a healthy. This might help:

Measure Carbs Fibre ECC Protein

Pickles, cucumber, dill
cup, chopped or diced 5.89g 1.72g 4.17g 0.89g
cup (about 23 slices) 6.39g 1.86g 4.53g 0.96g
large (4" long) 5.56g 1.62g 3.94g 0.84g
medium (3-3/4" long) 2.68g 0.78g 1.90g 0.40g
slice 0.29g 0.08g 0.21g 0.04g
small 1.52g 0.44g 1.08g 0.23g
spear 1.24g 0.36g 0.88g 0.19g

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for your responses. Now wouldn't it be great if had  I found a wonder cure!! LOL. I do appreciate your input.  Next month I  am going on a cruise and I was thinking oh boy!! a way to eat all the sweets and still have good numbers........I wish!  I can just see me now dragging a case of dill pickles on board the ship. Thanks again for the help and the welcome.

Laura

Sea ya!
Laura
OceanGoingGal
Cruise Consultant
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,448
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Laura....welcome to the boards........Pickles???? I use them for a sugar craving....maybe you are on to something....LOL

Have fun on the cruise.....I'm going on a little Mexico cruise in December.........a big treat for me cuz I don't have to cook and I can eat every two hours......wooohooo!!!

See ya...............................Big Red.........................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,069
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

*sighs*

Pickles...  I can't even keep a jar of them in the house anymore. And I get the giant gallon size ones.  Courtney has always loved them and since they're a extreme low-carb food, she will go through the jar in nothing flat when she wants a snack.

I have to order her.   "Leave at least 3 in there so I can make some pasta salad for us!"  *Dreamsfield of course.*

:smileywink:

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

oceangoinggal wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses. Now wouldn't it be great if had  I found a wonder cure!! LOL. I do appreciate your input.  Next month I  am going on a cruise and I was thinking oh boy!! a way to eat all the sweets and still have good numbers........I wish!  I can just see me now dragging a case of dill pickles on board the ship. Thanks again for the help and the welcome.

Laura

Laura, have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Lucky you, places that have buffet meals are the best for us as diabetics. We get to choose the amount of carbs that we put on our plates!

If you don't already have one, it might be a good idea to take a little paperback carbcounting book on board. You can usually see the menus beforehand and check out the foods in a matter of minutes in your stateroom.

If you are eating at one of the restaurants, rather than ask for a diabetic friendly plate, ask for low carb. Often chefs simply do a heart healthy plate- hi carb/low fat.

Re the dill pickles.... I have a jar in the fridge at all times and find it is the best way to curb a yen for something sweet.

Betcha the waiters would be happy to bring you a dill at any time, breakfast and coffee breaks included :smileyvery-happy:

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Occasional Responder
oceangoinggal
Total Posts: 8

Maple Syrup,   MMMMMMM that is one of the things I miss from my New England home. Real maple syrup. Now I am reduced to using  chemicals combined to sort of taste like maple syrup and be sugar free too. Not a great substitute for a gal from New England. Sometimes when my fmily from NH visits they bring me some real maple syrup. I use it sparingly and enjoy every drop. That aside thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be here. I belonged to this site and was mostly around the "Type II Clubhouse" Now I cannot seem toget in there anymore so I came hunting for this site. 

Thanks for the good tidings regarding the cruise. I love to cruise and plan to enjoy to the fullest. This trip I have 2 friends going with me from NH. They too both live in Florida.

Sea ya!
Laura
OceanGoingGal
Cruise Consultant
Frequent Responder
muffnette
Total Posts: 219
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Laura if that is the only change you really made - while I too am no expert it very much sounds to me like its the pickles - no they are not a miracle cure - HOWEVER vinegar has been shown to lower blood sugars - doesn't mean you can go on an all pickle diet (lol) but really - I notice if i ever include anything that has "vinegar" w/it - my #'s are lower than they would be otherwise... for some people vinegar DOES help w/lowering the bs even if its a little bit - that is my guess!

ENJOY those pickles!  (as a side note i experimented before and pasta obviously is a blood sugar raiser - but when i eat a vinegar/oil salad WITH pasta my #'s are lower than if i didn't have the salad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Metformin 2000/mg, Glimepiride 8/mg
Actos 30mg, Lisinopril 20/mg, baby aspirin 81/mg
Levothyroxin 137/mcg for Hypothyroidism
Yasmin for PCOS, have retinopathy
Lumigan for Glaucoma