Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009
Helpful Response

Diabetics in the Limelight (or not)

Not sure if any of you watch the TV show on ABC called Body of Proof but the last couple episodes have been unusual.  The main character, a medical examiner played by Dana Delaney (sp) has a teenage daughter who recently became a T1.  Last night's season finale showed the daughter/Lacey getting hooked up to her pump and a brief explaination of how it works.  This is somewhat groundbreaking as I can't remember seeing any diabetics on the tube as a regular other than Grey's Anatomy.  Lacey is played in a manner that isn't sensationalizing her as a diabetic, more of a raising awareness kind of part.  I don't know the name of the actress who plays Lacey but I do think she may actually be a T1.

Hat's off to ABC (so far) for putting a diabetic in the limelight as a regular person!  With all the diabetics in this world, you would expect to see a few more on the tube. 

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Diabetics in the Limelight (or not)

I saw that, it was well done and realistic (for a tv show).

My guess is that one of the writers or staff has or has a family member with type-1.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
sirmicro
Total Posts: 76
Registered on: ‎12-10-2010

I love this show. I don't have cable so I watch it on HULU and am not that far into the season yet. Soemthing to look forward to.

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 812
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Love that show! Mary Mouser is the teen actress who plays Lacey, and she is indeed T1. 

http://www.ydmv.net/2012/03/body-of-proof-type-1-diabetes-stops.html

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

SugarFrosted wrote:

Love that show! Mary Mouser is the teen actress who plays Lacey, and she is indeed T1. 

http://www.ydmv.net/2012/03/body-of-proof-type-1-diabetes-stops.html

Anna, the link you posted contains a very good synopsis of the program... not too certain that I liked the "type 2 is aquired" statement but everthing else was good.

Also the site itself ydmv.net (your diabetes may vary) is worth checking out when I get a little more time.

And I must try to watch the Body of Proof show too.

But wait, I'm just going to have to stay in more often!

Dianne

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142

Type-2 was handled in a pretty respectful way on the show "Medium" when it was on.  One of the lead characters, the chief of Police, developed it.  It was talked about and explained a little, but not over-dramatized.  I don't know if the person who played it was really diagnosed or not, but it was well done.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I had the AhAh moment when I saw the episode that first had Lacey in the hospital due to DKA.  Given the amount of diabetics in society, we sure aren't represented often in the "real life drama's" on TV.  ABC certainly does it's promotion of the gay side of life!  Maybe now they will start with us diabetics.  Don't know if that is a good thing or not though.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Frequent Responder
savgigi
Total Posts: 528

One of the lead actresses in Army Wives was diagnosed as T2 on the show a season or two ago.

Jeanie

I want to dance at my grandchildren's weddings. I want to live well and die peacefully in my sleep at the age of 110

T2; Dx 2/2009
Initial A1c 5.7; Current A1c 5.6
Metformin 500mg twice a day