Frequent Advisor
crazzynana
Total Posts: 164
Registered on: ‎03-24-2013

Diabetic Shoes

My boss just bought a new motel and it's a 4 star motel.  I am going to be overseeing all 3 of is motels.  I will be dressing professional everyday.  My problem is, I have no idea where I can get diabetic shoes.  The only thing I have been wearing for the past 2 years is tennis shoes.  I need something with a tie or buckle that can be worn with dresses and suits.  I have wide feet and since I have 2 different size feet, I have to have tie or buckle.  If it was only a half size difference I could probably get away with it but they are a whole size difference.  I need something like a mary jane type of shoe but I don't know where to find it.  I know they will be costly but that's ok.  Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance

Lori

T2
Metformin 500mg 2x day
Fenofibrate 160mg
Novolin 70/30 20 units am 30 units pm
A1C 12 Feb 2013
A1C 6.2 JUNE 2013 YIPEE!
Lipitor 10mg
Eye drops for Glaucoma
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,619
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Re: Diabetic Shoes

Hi, crazynanna,

Here's a thread on the same topic that you may find helpful:

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adults-Living-with-Type-2/Question-on-choosing-diabetic-shoes/td-p/...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,281
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

[ Edited ]

crazzynana wrote:

My boss just bought a new motel and it's a 4 star motel.  I am going to be overseeing all 3 of is motels.  I will be dressing professional everyday.  My problem is, I have no idea where I can get diabetic shoes.  The only thing I have been wearing for the past 2 years is tennis shoes.  I need something with a tie or buckle that can be worn with dresses and suits.  I have wide feet and since I have 2 different size feet, I have to have tie or buckle.  If it was only a half size difference I could probably get away with it but they are a whole size difference.  I need something like a mary jane type of shoe but I don't know where to find it.  I know they will be costly but that's ok.  Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance

Lori, my husband actually received a prescription from his endo for diabetic shoes, but has not used it yet.  I believe you can take the prescription to any pharmacy, that is what it said on the paperwork.  I found this site a month or so ago that has a nice looking line of shoes...Mary Janes are pictured on the first page.  Take a look:  http://controlyourhealth.com/diabeticshoes/home.php  Not recommending this as a site since I know nothing of its reputation.  I would imagine that any of the diabetic shoe dealers could fit both of your feet even if different sizes.

PS...congrats on the new job and here's hoping the pay is increasing accordingly!!!! 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,618
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

marty1955 wrote:

crazzynana wrote:

Thanks in advance

Lori, my husband actually received a prescription from his endo for diabetic shoes, but has not used it yet.  I believe you can take the prescription to any pharmacy, that is what it said on the paperwork.  I found this site a month or so ago that has a nice looking line of shoes...Mary Janes are pictured on the first page.  Take a look:  http://controlyourhealth.com/diabeticshoes/home.php  Not recommending this as a site since I know nothing of its reputation.  I would imagine that any of the diabetic shoe dealers could fit both of your feet even if different sizes.

PS...congrats on the new job and here's hoping the pay is increasing accordingly!!!! 

I have had diabetic shoes before. I had to go to a place, precription in hand, where my feet had to be measured. I picked the style of shoes from a catalog. The Tech then sent the order, along with the measurements to the manufacturer to be made. When the shoes come in, I had to go back to the place that measured my feet to see if they fit properly.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 260
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

crazzynana wrote:

Thanks in advance

You might try SAS Shoes if you can find a store in your area (they don't sell online) or Easy Spirit (available online). Both of these brands offer a variety of styles and most come in a wide or extra wide size. I find both brands to be comfortable on my wide feet. These are NOT diabetic shoes, per se, but might be an option for you. Good luck in your new job.

Carol

Super Advisor
bentredrider
Total Posts: 1,318
Registered on: ‎11-05-2012

crazzynana wrote:

Thanks in advance

I wear hiking shoes, trail running shoes from solomon whenever I can.  I have very nice loafers from nordstroms that I actually wear while in clinic (but I slip them off and on 10 times a day).   AND I work out now in the CROSSTRAINERS from New Balance similar to what Alan_s reccomended SUPER COMFORTABLE, YOU CAN GET THEM IN ANY WIDTH YOU WANT AND THEY ARE BLACK LACE UP's !    I would start there.  Internet search for New Balance crosstrainers.  When I go barefoot I wear birkenstocks......  (?expensive?) yes and no as they cost a bunch but I've had the same pair for about 20 years and I'm just getting them broke in real good.  Oh also I have bike shoes from "Specialized" brand and I've worn out two pair since being diagnosed.....  I'm proud of that.

Best, to you
first dx T2 in 2008 oral meds didn't work, injected Victoza worked for months
bG went extremely high and I started injecting insulin at urgent care
2nd Dx as T1 IDDM or T1.5 IDDM 8-13
got Dexcom CGM
Now using Tslim pump, diligence and Novalog
to achieve tight control, to keep my job and life
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,799
Topics: 75
High Fives: 999
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

crazzynana wrote:

Thanks in advance

You might try Googling something like "diabetic mary jane shoes" to find styles that might work. Some of the  results might lead you to manufacturers and they might provide a list of retail stores that sell their products; I don't think I would want to order online without being able to try them on.  Even so, if you find a style you like at a distant or online retailer, you might be able to spot the brand name and search on that name.

I know of two stores in my area that have a reputation for fitting hard to fit feet.  One is thirteen miles away and the other is forty miles away. They are the only places that I would expect to find the 9-1/2 EE or 9-1/2 EEEE shoes I need. There are probably similar stores in you area if you look.

Now that reminds me that I bought a wonderful pair of sandals at one of those stores back in 2005 that I am still wearing. They are SAS brand.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
crazzynana
Total Posts: 164
Registered on: ‎03-24-2013

Thanks everyone.  I called my dr yesterday to request a rx for diabetic shoes.  I found a couple of places online that even though I told them I would have a script, they wouldn't consider me because I am paying for them myself.  Strange.  They don't even have to be prescription diabteic shoes as long as they have extra padding and come in wide widths.  I am going to try all of the suggestions that everyone here has posted.

Thank you for all the well wishes with my new job.  The hard part is going to be trying to find someone to work here.  I work 7 days a week and take calls 24 hrs a day.  Nobody else is going to do that.  Most people have lives.  lol

Lori

T2
Metformin 500mg 2x day
Fenofibrate 160mg
Novolin 70/30 20 units am 30 units pm
A1C 12 Feb 2013
A1C 6.2 JUNE 2013 YIPEE!
Lipitor 10mg
Eye drops for Glaucoma
Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,143
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

Go to a podiatrist and get a prescription and then to a special ortho store.  The doctor will know where to send you.  Dr. Comfort are the best.  They will fill the order for different sizes without you having to buy two pairs.http://www.drcomfort.com/our-footwear/womens-footwear/dress/page Look how cute these Mary Jane's are.  Most insurances will not pay for the cute ones.:smileymad:

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

I've never heard of this before but what are "diabetic" shoes?

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise