Advisor
tx_belle
Total Posts: 81
Registered on: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Diabetes causes body odor?

i did notice a friend that was struggling to get her diabetes under control she did smell.  they eventually put her on insulin and the oder went away so i always figured it had something to do with her BG being out of whack

Frequent Visitor
CeeCeePlano
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-15-2012

I'll mention that to her. Her doctor just has her on metformin but she has not been told she needs to check her blood sugars or how to do that.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,636
Topics: 552
High Fives: 1,842
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

CeeCeePlano wrote:

I'll mention that to her. Her doctor just has her on metformin but she has not been told she needs to check her blood sugars or how to do that.

A very low-carb diet can cause bad breath and body odor (like vinegar) because of the ketosis it causes in your system.  This is a draw-back that people only eating 30 or so grams of carbs a day must be aware of.

High numbers can cause the "fruity" smell.  Both breath and body odor.

Reasonable numbers and carbs shouldn't be a problem at all though.  Having a lot of pets call for also being extra vigilant for odors.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Visitor
hope1234
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-12-2012

I have never heard of this... maby it is her dogs smell that is now in her clothes and act... I know when my bg levels are up I do carry deoderant n body spary with me that's just because I never want someone to tell me I stink.... I think u as her friend needs to sit her down and give her a reality talk about the animals... I know it will be hard for her to understand. But if she don't want someone to tell her she stinks again it would help I think the nurse was trying to be nice and not loose her job and that was the only thing she came up with... I wish u and ur friend luck and maby she will listen to u...
Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

lol. I've never been told I smell funny. I have never heard of this. I have a great sense of smell and have never noticed diabetics smelling a certain away. Although, I don't know very many at my age.

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Advisor
mctamom
Total Posts: 151
Registered on: ‎01-18-2012

lizzylou wrote:

CeeCeePlano wrote:

A very low-carb diet can cause bad breath and body odor (like vinegar) because of the ketosis it causes in your system.  This is a draw-back that people only eating 30 or so grams of carbs a day must be aware of.

OK, so here's the question of the day, I ate yesterday a grand total of about 130 through the day, about average to me.. I took off my socks last night and was blasted with a vinegar smell (not the first time that's happened) but there wasn't anything different with how I ate yesterday and how I've eaten everyday since diagnosis.  I have noticed though, that the "sweet" smell to my urine has gone away, which I'm liking that fact lmao, OHHHHH and I've finally quick peeing so much!!! I'm only waking up once a night now as opposed to every 90 minutes!!!   I'm making progress :smileyhappy:

Chrys: Mom, Daughter, Friend :smileyhappy:

Dx: T2, 01/18/2012, A1C: 7.1 (1/12/2012)
A1c: 5.2 (4/18/2011)
Rx: Metformin 2000mg a day
Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day
Losartan 25mg a day (for kidney and liver protection)
Meloxicam 15 mg once a day as needed.

Occasional Responder
Wesman6673
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎06-11-2013

[ Edited ]

Everyone who answered on here is wrong. I am very sorry to anyone this offends but its true. Each and every single last one of you who said that diabetes doesn't cause body odour is wrong. This woman does not smell like fecal matter because of her dogs...seriously folks unless she is wiping their poo on her clothes that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! The original doctor who diagnosed her was right and is extremely smart because this lady has an unusual form of diabetes and frequently goes into a stress-induced state of diabetic ketoacidosis. What's happening to her is her brain gets anxiety and needs sugar FAST but her body cannot produce the proper insuling/glucose combo so she burns her fat stores causing nasty by-products of ketones in order to get the proper tricglyceride combo. She then "leaks" the by-product out of her glands and that is what is causing her body odour. I am really happy that the rest of you good people don't have that complication...but she does. I am not sure why some diabetics and/or pre-diabetics have this condition and some do not...and that is the dmandable misery of it. I am not a bio-molecular doctor but I am guessing that certain people (diabetics and pre-diabetics) have a unique gene that others do not and this makes them extremely sensitive to blood sugar complications. I am truly surprised that no one has put this together yet...

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,636
Topics: 552
High Fives: 1,842
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Wesman6673 wrote:
Everyone who answered on here is wrong. I am very sorry to anyone this offends but its true. Each and every single last one of you who said that diabetes doesn't cause body odour is wrong. This woman does not smell like fecal matter because of her dogs...seriously folks unless she is wiping their poo on her clothes that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! The original doctor who diagnosed her was right and is extremely smart because this lady has an unusual form of diabetes and frequently goes into a stress-induced state of diabetic ketoacidosis. What's happening to her is her brain gets anxiety and needs sugar FAST but her body cannot produce the proper insuling/glucose combo so she burns her fat stores causing nasty by-products of ketones in order to get the proper tricglyceride combo. She then "leaks" the by-product out of her glands and that is what is causing her body odour. I am really happy that the rest of you good people don't have that complication...but she does and pity her because its better to be dead than to have her condition. I am not sure why some diabetics and/or pre-diabetics have this condition and some do not...and that is the dmandable misery of it. I am not a bio-molecular doctor but I am guessing that certain people (diabetics and pre-diabetics) have a unique gene that others do not and this makes them extremely sensitive to blood sugar complications. I am truly surprised that no one has put this together yet...

Is it the full moon again already?  Ketoacidosis is not induced by stress and it can cause a fruity odor.

IF you were a bio-molecular doctor I'd suggest that you go back to school for a lot of continuing education. You are way off base.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
lynnkb
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

[ Edited ]

I edited this because I really don't need to jump in here with a useless comment. I'd delete if I knew how.

Diagnosed 9/2011, Ha1C 9.6
1/13/2012 - 6.2
9/20/2012 - 5.7
12/26/2012 - 5.1
8/21/2013 - 5.7
9/15/2013 - 5.8
11/18/2013 - 5.6
1/10/2014 - 5.4 (Home test)
2/24/2014 - 5.6

Suspected MODY.
Advisor
Sqwatch
Total Posts: 75
Registered on: ‎05-26-2013

Can't be.  I smell like a manly, pine forest after a summers rain.  It's true.

Dave

Diagnosed Type II April 05, 2013; A1C = 12.8
Metformin 1,000 mg 2X per day
Exercise: I'm a farmer, I get plenty!