Frequent Visitor
CeeCeePlano
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-15-2012
Helpful Response

Diabetes causes body odor?

I have a friend that has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is taking Metformin. I have also have type 2 and have for a couple of years now. I also take Metformin to control my diabetes.

She told me that she was told by her physician assistant that having diabetes can cause you to have body odor or that the medication, Metformin, can cause you to have a body order. I have never heard of this and I have never been told that I smell. I know that diabetes can sometimes cause bad breath but I have never heard it causes a body odor. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is this possible? She wasn’t quite clear on how that happened but said it was something to do on a molecular level.

She has just lost her job, she was told it was because of her odor. I have commented to her that she smells for over a year now and that it smeels like animal excrement. She has 6 dogs. I don't believe her odor has nothing to do with body order and more to do with the animals but now she is adamant that it’s caused by type 2 diabetes and/or the Metformin medication, and since I have type 2 and take Metformin, I’m concerned if it’s true that I have body odor issues myself. I have never been told that I smell but now she has me feeling unsecure and concerned. I've asked co-workers and my family outright if I have an odor and made them swear they would be honest and tell me if I do but some people are just to polite to tell you so.

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,149
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Diabetes causes body odor?

Hi CeeCeePlano and welcome,

I have never heard of the body odor issue.  The only odor from metformin that I am aware of would be from intestinal gas.  That's where the nickname metfartin comes from!  And that typically goes away after a short time as we get used to the med.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

Welcome!  I've never been told or heard of that either.

My guess is that her clothes has absorbed the odor from the dogs and THAT is what smells.  It's probably in her rugs and furniture as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

I was also on metformin and never had anyone tell me that I had an odor nor did I notice.  I think her 6 dogs are the culprits. 

Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 965

I haven't had problems with the metformin.  But, if my bg goes up, I will sweat a lot and it will smell.  Generally speaking, if your house smells (good or bad), seems your body and clothing pick it up. 

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775

The only 'body odour' I've heard caused by diabetes is when someone's BG is out of control, and then the skin exudes a 'sweet' sugary smell from excess glucose.

Medications CAN cause a person's 'body odour' to smell different, but I've not heard of it being an issue with anyone.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,436
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

I actually have had someone tell me that I didn't "smell like a diabetic" once.  This was someone who has an especially keen sense of smell, and it surprised me to hear her say that.  She said that most diabetics have a certain smell, and that I didn't have it.  I have NO idea what a diabetic smells like. 

In your friend's case, I'm guessing it's the dogs.  Six is a lot, and unless she's really diligent, they can't be making her house -- or her -- smell very good.  My two cats are almost too much. 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

This diabetic smells like lavender! :smileywink:
Talvie wrote:

I actually have had someone tell me that I didn't "smell like a diabetic" once.  This was someone who has an especially keen sense of smell, and it surprised me to hear her say that.  She said that most diabetics have a certain smell, and that I didn't have it.  I have NO idea what a diabetic smells like. 

In your friend's case, I'm guessing it's the dogs.  Six is a lot, and unless she's really diligent, they can't be making her house -- or her -- smell very good.  My two cats are almost too much. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

Talvie wrote:

Yeah.....We smell alright—it’s the "sweet" smell of all that sugar in our blood. :smileywink:

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,436
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

blueribbonmom12 wrote:
This diabetic smells like lavender! :smileywink:
Talvie wrote:

This one smells like jelly beans.    ;-)

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.