Frequent Visitor
dday76
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎11-14-2011
Helpful Response

Diabetes (II) 100% curable through diet and weight loss.

I'm dropping by to get the ADA official opinion here.  I didn't see it specifically on the site.  Basically, I have it in my head that Type II diabetes is not a disease in itself, it's just a symptom of being overweight (and possibly a sugary diet).  I also have it in my head that every person with Type II diabetes will stop having diabetes symptoms if they were of an appropriate height/weight ratio, ie, better than obese.

I get the feeling I may be oversimplifying the issue, but I've never seen anything to the contrary.  Help me out here with counter-examples of individuals who have proper diet and fitness levels and also have Type II diabetes, and why that is.

Jason

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,429
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Diabetes (II) 100% curable through diet and weight loss.

dday76 wrote:

I'm dropping by to get the ADA official opinion here.  I didn't see it specifically on the site.  Basically, I have it in my head that Type II diabetes is not a disease in itself, it's just a symptom of being overweight (and possibly a sugary diet).  I also have it in my head that every person with Type II diabetes will stop having diabetes symptoms if they were of an appropriate height/weight ratio, ie, better than obese.

I get the feeling I may be oversimplifying the issue, but I've never seen anything to the contrary.  Help me out here with counter-examples of individuals who have proper diet and fitness levels and also have Type II diabetes, and why that is.

Jason

Yep, that's a pretty simplistic explanation, and I know that our regulars will be along shortly to disabuse you of some of those erroneous ideas, but there are people here who were active, healthy weight people who just had the wrong genes.  They would be pretty amazed to hear that they gave themselves diabetes through lack of fitness or a good diet.  They would also be amazed to hear that their genetic predisposition has no meaning.

I'm asymtomatic only when I eat properly and exercise and take my medication.  Losiing weight had no effect on my having symptoms, and in fact, many Type 2s have no additional weight to lose.  So if you have a history of Type 2 diabetes in your family, don't discount the possibility that you may yet develop the disease....and yes, it is a disease.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

[ Edited ]

Hi Jason. At least 20% of people with T2 are dxed at a normal BMI (weight) or less. Personally I'm 5'11" and 152 pounds. As long as I eat low carb my bg numbers are reasonable. If I vary from that, they aren't. Though I may periodically experience good control and resulting remission from symptoms I will always be a diabetic in that if I eat what the other 94% of the world does my health and life will be in serious jeopardy. Diet and exercise can certainly help a great number of Type 2 diabetics. Some who exercise like Olympic athletes and eat like rabbits will still progress to requiring insulin anyway for reasons not currently understood.

Personally I prefer the word remission with its implied lack of guarantees. Lifestyle changes help many but not all diabetics manage their symptoms. For some such changes make little difference. Most obese people do not have diabetes. Despite predominantly impacting older people who have a greater tendency to be overweight in any population, not all Type 2 diabetes are overweight.

Many Type 2 diabetics ate the same thing as family members or neighbors who did not develop diabetes. When we find out why we might be on the doorstep of a genuine cure.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Jason, You will not see this theory that you have in your head on this site or any other site that is sponsored by a national Diabetes Association.

It just is not true. Once diagnosed with diabetes, that person will always have diabetes. It may be kept under tight control with proper food choices that do not raise blood glucose, with exercise that helps insulin resistance and in many cases medication or insulin.

Those who can keep their blood sugar numbers at a normal level are only a small plate full of high carb foods away from soaring numbers.

For example, I can sit beside a non diabetic friend at the dinner table and have a meal of foods low in carbs and have a good after meal number. My friend can eat exactly what I have eaten and add to it two slices of cream pie, a piece of chocolate cake with ice cream and have a large regular pop. Her glucose numbers will not have risen above normal because she has a metabolism that, unlike mine, functions as it should and keeps her blood sugar in a normal range. (but she would get fat if she did that very often)

Even if my friend gets fat she is not likely to get diabetes unless she has inherited the genes that cause our systems to go awry. Did you know that about 80% of fat or obese or morbidly obese do not have diabetes?

And Jason, I was not at all overweight when diagnosed. I ate what most would call a healthy diet that included whole grains, vegetables fruits and protein but very little in the way of sugary foods.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Established Advisor
gphxgphx

[ Edited ]

'Help me out here with counter-examples of individuals who have proper diet and fitness levels and also have Type II diabetes, and why that is.'

Halle Berry. She's a great example because, due to her infamous body, she was presumed to be Type 1 but later found to be a misdiagnosed Type 2. If only obese/inactive people get Type 2 diabetes then why was an internationally famous supermodel and actress on insulin? That's the billion dollar question.

Frequent Visitor
dday76
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎11-14-2011

I randomly tagged a response as helpful, but they all are helpful.  I appreciate the info.  I will stop saying that diabetes is a symptom of high weight.  Simple enough.

I do want to ask for a couple of clarifications.  First, is there such a thing as Type IIb that is caused by weight gain and curable by weight loss?  There may be a genetic component, but this "IIb" would be something that would never trigger without the initial weight gain?  (This would differ from "IIa" which is likely to set in whenever, regardless of diet.)

The reason I ask is because I've seen Biggest Loser, Forks over Knives, addiction shows, food shows, and just a lot of general reports of person A with diabetes changes their diet and then goes into 'remission' as if the only contributor was high weight.  That's what I'm trying to reconcile.

Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,614
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

It would be against the rules of this community to abuse you for posting such nonsense.

Too bad. 

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,614
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

GENETIC

Do you believe that losing weight will alter your DNA?

If not, then losing weight will not "cure" diabetes.

Losing weight does HELP with MANAGING Type 2 diabetes, if you are overweight.  Along with excercise and a good diet.

Check out these slides:  Diabetes 

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,919
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Jason, I agree with every one who has replied to your preconceived idea that only overweight people can get type 2 diabetes. That is not so, there are plenty of people of normal weight that have this version of diabetes. 

Also diabetes is not curable. It can only be controlled by following a low carb diet, exercise and if needed, medications.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Established Advisor
gphxgphx

You posted a topic that hits a raw nerve with many. I commend you for doing so in an open manner.

If you have a broken toe that doesn't hurt when you walk on it it's still broken and will hurt if you walk on it again. The people on The Biggest Loser are exercising at an Olympic level. That they're told they need to keep doing so just to stay normally healthy indicates to me something is terribly wrong. This is a concept I know as 'being behind the eight ball'. Many diabetes have to exercise far more than typical people and severely restrict their diet, not just eat normally. With diabetic symptoms they're among the least prepared to do it, yet many do so every day because they have no other choice.

A person who exercises a lot and eats very low carb may put less demands on their pancreas in a manner similar to someone who is missing a lung may reduce demand on breathing and appear normal by sitting on the sofa reducing the demand. This doesn't change the impaired status of the pancreas, it just hides it.

Lastly, insulin is the hormone triggering fat deposition. Obesity in some people may be a result of diabetes, not the other way around. Again, not all obese people have diabetes and not all diabetics are obese. It just so happens reducing carbohydrate intake and exercising sometimes helps minimize both problems. This isn't the same thing as causation.