Visitor
SusanLMcM
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-03-2012

Re: Dang ... I'm going to miss chinese food

Greetings everyone:

I'm new to this community -- just registered today, and this is my first post.

I was diagnosed Type II 11/2011 (right before the holidays - thankyouverymuch).  I did wonderfully the first 8 months or so, then I started to "cop an attitude."  I didn't like or want to have to think so much about my food.  One of the biggest issue for me was Chinese food -- I love it -- ALL of it.  I could eat it every day.  I become somewhat depressed by having to give it up.  These posts have cheered me quite a bit.  It's not only about sacrifice (because, let's face it -- we do have to sacrifice some things) -- but it's about choice.  I can still have Chinese food (yay!!), but I just have to choose different things (pineapple chicken ... I don't THINK so!).  And, since I really do love it all, I can still enjoy this wonderful food and not compromise my health.

Thanks all for the moral support and fortitude uplift.  If this is any indication of how the future will be with this group, I'm excited about getting to know you all much better.

~Sue

Diagnosed: Nov. 2011

First A1c: 6.7

Metformin, Diet/Exercise

And on we go ...

~Sue

Type II diagnosed Nov. 2010
Metformin; Diet/Exercise
And on we go ...
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

SusanLMcM wrote:

Greetings everyone:

I'm new to this community -- just registered today, and this is my first post.

I was diagnosed Type II 11/2011 (right before the holidays - thankyouverymuch).  I did wonderfully the first 8 months or so, then I started to "cop an attitude."  I didn't like or want to have to think so much about my food.  One of the biggest issue for me was Chinese food -- I love it -- ALL of it.  I could eat it every day.  I become somewhat depressed by having to give it up.  These posts have cheered me quite a bit.  It's not only about sacrifice (because, let's face it -- we do have to sacrifice some things) -- but it's about choice.  I can still have Chinese food (yay!!), but I just have to choose different things (pineapple chicken ... I don't THINK so!).  And, since I really do love it all, I can still enjoy this wonderful food and not compromise my health.

Thanks all for the moral support and fortitude uplift.  If this is any indication of how the future will be with this group, I'm excited about getting to know you all much better.

~Sue

Diagnosed: Nov. 2011

Metformin, Diet/Exercise

And on we go ...

Welcome Susan,

I love Chinese food too, I mainly cook my own.  It's really not hard, just mostly chopping and timing the cooking.

You may have noticed that some of our members are in "accent denial", just ignore that. :smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
SusanLMcM
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-03-2012

Yes ... I see that.  Coming from New Hampshah, I never undahstand what people are talkin' about.  We don't have accents up heeyah. :smileywink:

~Sue

Type II diagnosed Nov. 2010
Metformin; Diet/Exercise
And on we go ...
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Talvie wrote:

I get Panda Express all the time.  They offer low carb veggies instead of noodles or rice, and if I get the unsweetened sauces, like the black pepper chicken or beef and broccoli, I never have a spike.  But I have even a couple of bites of the rice or the rice noodles -- anything made from rice, rice itself, or even the hint of rice spikes me -- I will see awful numbers very quickly.  A lot of Chinese dishes can have vegetables substituted in place of noodles or rice, you just have to look for those things.

I didn't know that Panda Express did that.  Thanks for letting us know.

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

alan_s wrote:  I've been eating Chinese food for a week now, in Hong Kong, Hangzhou and Shanghai and I seem to be doing OK.

I finished dinner an hour ago. I shared double-cooked pork with green vegetables in a spicy sauce (it seemed to be a combination of soy, sweet hoisin and vinegar with hot chili) with my wife, washed down with warm Tsingtao beer. The concept of cold beer has not caught on here yet :smileyhappy:

I just tested at 6.7 (120). Walking to and from the restaurant probably helped, although it was only about 500 metres.

It's not the Chinese food that is the problem; it is the selection and portion size. I leave all the rice on the plate and avoid sauces with too much sugar content. And, as others have noted, I Test, Test, Test

Welcome back, Alan!

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,732
Topics: 75
High Fives: 967
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

I don't think Alan will be back until the end of the month.  My guess is he found a hotel with a wi-fi hotspot so he is taking advantage to catch up a little on the boards.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Advisor
Samtop
Total Posts: 417
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

Rice is one of thise things you have to be very careful with.  Once in a while I can eat some rice with the main thing being portion size. One thrid cup, 15 grs., usually will not spike me.  Sometimes I can get away with 2/3 cup, depending on what my meter told me.  With Shiritaki noodles, I can eat just about as much as I want, so rice rarely becomes an issue anymore.  I really don't miss it. 

Earle

Metformin ER 1000 With evening meal
Glimepiride 1 mg in the a.m.
Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg in the a.m.
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,444
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

mollythed wrote:

I don't think Alan will be back until the end of the month.  My guess is he found a hotel with a wi-fi hotspot so he is taking advantage to catch up a little on the boards.

Thanks LMD but yes, you're right Molly. Not really catching up, not enough time for that, just browsing until I saw the sad news concerning Verna, and then this happier relevant topic.

I'm in Les Suites Orient on the Bund; one of the first hotels I've stayed in on the trip with decent wifi. We're off again tomorrow to Suzhou (a canal city) for a few days and then Beijing by super-fast train.

When possible we eat in the little restaurants the locals eat in. Apart from being a tenth of the cost of hotel restaurants the food is the true cuisine of the regions. My wife finds a table while I walk around looking at the dishes being eaten; when I see something that looks nice I take the waiter over and point to it. Last night was more up-market. They had a menu with pictures and English sub-titles. We passed on the "Fried Eel Paste","Sauteed Bull Frog in Chili Sauce" and "Jellyfish in Scallion Oil" but enjoyed the "Double Cooked Pork with Vegetables".

So far my BGs are doing fine.

Xena was correct about accents...

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
kagree17
Total Posts: 72
Registered on: ‎03-01-2012

Samtop wrote:

Rice is one of thise things you have to be very careful with.  Once in a while I can eat some rice with the main thing being portion size. One thrid cup, 15 grs., usually will not spike me.  Sometimes I can get away with 2/3 cup, depending on what my meter told me.  With Shiritaki noodles, I can eat just about as much as I want, so rice rarely becomes an issue anymore.  I really don't miss it. 

Earle

Samtop wrote:

Earle

I am now noticing that with the Lean Cuisine's that have rice too.  I was having a Lean Cuisine every day for lunch.  Now I am going down to the deli and having a fresh salad instead.  

Kathy

Diagnosed: 2/13/2012
First HbA1c: 11.2
5/9/12: 8.3
10/8/12: 7.8
5/27/13: 8.1
9/28/13: 6.9
500 mg Metformin 2x daily
Learning to manage
Advisor
Samtop
Total Posts: 417
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

alan_s wrote:

mollythed wrote:

Thanks LMD but yes, you're right Molly. Not really catching up, not enough time for that, just browsing until I saw the sad news concerning Verna, and then this happier relevant topic.

I'm in Les Suites Orient on the Bund; one of the first hotels I've stayed in on the trip with decent wifi. We're off again tomorrow to Suzhou (a canal city) for a few days and then Beijing by super-fast train.

When possible we eat in the little restaurants the locals eat in. Apart from being a tenth of the cost of hotel restaurants the food is the true cuisine of the regions. My wife finds a table while I walk around looking at the dishes being eaten; when I see something that looks nice I take the waiter over and point to it. Last night was more up-market. They had a menu with pictures and English sub-titles. We passed on the "Fried Eel Paste","Sauteed Bull Frog in Chili Sauce" and "Jellyfish in Scallion Oil" but enjoyed the "Double Cooked Pork with Vegetables".

So far my BGs are doing fine.

Xena was correct about accents...

Hi Alan,

Wish I was with you, but alas.  But why did you pass up the "Sauteed Bull Frog in Chili Sauce."?  Sounds good to me, and the hotter the chilis the better.

Have a great rest of your trip.

Earle

Metformin ER 1000 With evening meal
Glimepiride 1 mg in the a.m.
Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg in the a.m.
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime