Total Posts: 5,996
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,097
Solutions: 117
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dang ... I'm going to miss chinese food

Cactus8 wrote:

lizzylou wrote:

If Alan were on the board and not in China, he may say test, review, and adjust.

Lizzy says that too, she just doesn't have an accent.:smileywink:

Lizzy

Yes she does :smileylol:

From my vantage point, in a state that sits on the Canadian border, y'all BOTH have accents, eh?  :smileylol:

... but then, don't we all?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Yes indeed, Lizzy does have an accent :smileytongue:  She has spoken to me on the phone and there is no doot aboot it.

Dianne from the accentless side of the border. Now I have to leave for a couple of hours and go oot. :smileywink:

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142

maplesyrup wrote:

Yes indeed, Lizzy does have an accent :smileytongue:  She has spoken to me on the phone and there is no doot aboot it.

Dianne from the accentless side of the border. Now I have to leave for a couple of hours and go oot. :smileywink:

Accentless side hey? :smileytongue:

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,429
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

I get Panda Express all the time.  They offer low carb veggies instead of noodles or rice, and if I get the unsweetened sauces, like the black pepper chicken or beef and broccoli, I never have a spike.  But I have even a couple of bites of the rice or the rice noodles -- anything made from rice, rice itself, or even the hint of rice spikes me -- I will see awful numbers very quickly.  A lot of Chinese dishes can have vegetables substituted in place of noodles or rice, you just have to look for those things.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815

Re: Dang ... I'm going to miss Chinese food

As the others have stated you can make your own Chinese foods and or talk personally with the restaurant cook and ask that foods not be cooked with sugar, flour and corn starch to make the sauces.    Lots of meat and veggie dishes that are very good without rice and noodles. 

At home you can try the noodles that they say has no carbs (can't remember the actual name)  Bigred/Grannyred posted about them recently. I think those go well with Chinese.  You could also try dreamfields pasta slightly undercooked and tossed with stir fries.   Very yummy!! 

You really don't have to give up a lot of the food you love, just a few actually. There are lots of options to swap out the things that spike you.  Anything you can think of post here and Probably Bigred/Grannyred or some of the other great cooks will have ideas to help you adapt the dishes you love.  You wouldn't believe what can be done.  

Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Advisor
mctamom
Total Posts: 151
Registered on: ‎01-18-2012

Re: Dang ... I'm going to miss Chinese food

I had Beef with Broccoli today (LOVE IT!!!) NO rice, and it only bumped me up 25 pts, I'm VERY happy with that :smileyhappy:  Gonna get me a Happy Family next time, pricey but SOOOO good, and I don't think it'll raise my BG that much, no noodles or rice, just sauce, veggies and meats, so should be able to handle it perfectly fine :smileyhappy:  I let my kids have my rice :smileyhappy:  It's not fun being the only diabetic in the house, but I am glad no one else has the worries I have about do I or do I not eat this.  My kids are eating healthier though, I've changed the menu for the whole house, but i still get them the high carb stuff for the days I'm at work :smileyhappy:

Chrys: Mom, Daughter, Friend :smileyhappy:

Dx: T2, 01/18/2012, A1C: 7.1 (1/12/2012)
A1c: 5.2 (4/18/2011)
Rx: Metformin 2000mg a day
Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day
Losartan 25mg a day (for kidney and liver protection)
Meloxicam 15 mg once a day as needed.

Advisor
Samtop
Total Posts: 417
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

I like hot spicey ethnic foods, so Asain dishes are a must.  I also make my own, more orientated towards Thai, then Chinese.  I use Shriitaki noodles, no carbs, in place of rice.  For me at least it's worked well.  If you have an Asian market in your community shop there for ingredients.  If not, and you don't feel like chopping, you should be able to find frozen stir fry veges in the supermarket. Just avoid those with the sauce included.  You should also be able to find all kinds of sauces at the supermarket.  I like a brand called Dynasty, all low carb except for the peanut satay.  I like the idea of using bean sprouts in place of rice. Will try it.  And finally, buy a cookbook, and modify the recipes as needed.

Earle

Metformin ER 1000 With evening meal
Glimepiride 1 mg in the a.m.
Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg in the a.m.
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453

[ Edited ]

Broccoli Beef Recipe

·

Ingredients

• 3/4 pound flank or sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain
  • 3/4 pound broccoli florets
  • 2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
  • 1 egg white, whipped with a fork

For the beef marinade

• 1 teaspoon soy sauce( low sodium soy sauce does well in this recipe)
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the sauce

• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce ( I have a vegetarian oyster sauce that is made from mushrooms)
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth ( we are using vegetable broth tonight just because)
  • 1 egg white slightly beaten with a fork

Method

1 Marinate the beef: Stir together the beef marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Let stand for 10 minutes

2 Prepare the sauce: Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

3 Cook the broccoli in the microwave, about 2 minutes..

4 Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and instantly evaporates upon contact. Add the cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the beef and immediately spread the beef out all over the surface of the wok or pan in a single layer (preferably not touching). Let the beef fry undisturbed for 1 minute. Flip the beef slices over, add the garlic to the pan and fry for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until no longer pink, Pour in the sauce, add the blanched broccoli and bring to a boil, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens, 30 seconds.

Enjoy...................................................Big Red.....................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185

kagree17 wrote:

Yesterday, hubby and I ordered take out from our favorite chinese restaurant.  I tried to be conscientious about my food choices ... and I love chinese food.  So, I took only a little rice with my szechuan beef.  I took my blood glucose before dinner: 141.  With dinner I had my metformin.  After dinner, I took the dogs for a 25 minute walk.  Two hours after dinner (and after the metformin and walk) I took my reading again: 273 -- The highest reading I have had in a week! Wow!  I guess no more chinese food for me.  :smileysad:

Who knew chinese food could do that to my blood sugar??

~ Kathy

I've been eating Chinese food for a week now, in Hong Kong, Hangzhou and Shanghai and I seem to be doing OK.

I finished dinner an hour ago. I shared double-cooked pork with green vegetables in a spicy sauce (it seemed to be a combination of soy, sweet hoisin and vinegar with hot chili) with my wife, washed down with warm Tsingtao beer. The concept of cold beer has not caught on here yet :smileyhappy:

I just tested at 6.7 (120). Walking to and from the restaurant probably helped, although it was only about 500 metres.

It's not the Chinese food that is the problem; it is the selection and portion size. I leave all the rice on the plate and avoid sauces with too much sugar content. And, as others have noted, I Test, Test, Test

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

I am lucky enough to have a very good Chinese restaurant nearby, where the chef is happy to let me know which dishes have the least amount of sugar in the sauces he makes - in fact, they make many of their sauces on the fly for each meal, so if I want no sugar added, that's what I get.

I find the Mu Shu Chicken is a good choice and just ignore the pancakes.  In the U.S. you always get steamed rice with your meal - we tell them to not include it, but have a side order of steamed veggies instead.

When I make Chinese-style stir-fry meals at home, I add bamboo shoots which are cut into noodle-like strings and fool us into thinking they are... well.. noodles.  I haven't tried it, but there's no reason you couldn't add some of those no-carb noodles some people talk about here - or even some Dreamfields angel hair.

Oh, and anyone who's not Australian has an accent IMO :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5