Frequent Responder
Carld256
Total Posts: 88
Registered on: ‎08-15-2010

Could low blood sugar cause insomnia?

I just got up (woke up would be generous) from a really awful night, very restless, lots of tossing and turning, feeling just off and exhausted but not sleepy. I got a 78 on my FBG about 10 minutes ago. That's on the low side for me (but not way low), and I'm wondering if I could have had an episode of low blood sugar during the night. Does anyone know if a night-time low can cause restlessness and insomnia? I know it's probably within the meter's margin of error, but still I wonder.

Thanks, think I'm gonna take my pills, eat a little something, and take a nap.
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Many people will wake up in the night if blood sugar goes low, while others will be unaware and just sleep through.

I've noticed for myself that if I am sort of half-awake, maybe cold but unable to work up the energy to even pull up the covers, or perhaps needing to make a trip to the bathroom but having a hard time waking up enough to make that trip, it's a pretty good sign that blood sugar may be low. I've sort of worked on telling my half-asleep self that if I feel that way, it IS time to get up and check.

As you've mentioned, 78 is not really low, even though it is comparatively low for you. Whether it can produce the kind of reaction you mentioned, I don't know. The big challenge is to eat JUST A LITTLE at that point, so that you don't end up with high blood sugar, and to help yourself get used to that just about perfect 78.

Have a nice nap
Frequent Responder
Carld256
Total Posts: 88
Registered on: ‎08-15-2010

Thanks, I was thinking possibly I hit a low during the night as sort of a rebound from having potatoes shortly before bed (bad choice). Next time I'll get up, have a little something, and try to go back to sleep.
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Probably not a bad strategy IF you check blood sugar first to see if it really is low.
Established Advisor
rwilson4374
Total Posts: 323
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

You might have been lower and your body responded that is when found yourself at 78 when you woke up fully. My sleep is affected and I will wake up because my blood sugar dropped. For me it took a long time to check my blood sugar first not to go right it was my lungs that woke me up. I have bad asthma for years and for years my lungs would wake me up, and my mind goes right to it was my lungs. Unless I know for sure it is my lungs I check blood sugar first than see if it was my lungs misbehaving.
I don't know if increase tossing and turning being I already do that.