Responder
Spinning_Lass
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎10-24-2011

Cough Syrup

I have a Dr. Appointment on tuesday so I will be asking her this question too, but I was curious about the thoughts here.

I have a cold, stopped up, sore throat, and coughing. You know, the typical head cold. I've taken Delsyum one night and Robatussin one night. Both caused my bg# to rise to 146 and 142 respectively. It this bad? Is there something else that some of you take that doesn't do this?
Without hope you cannot start the day.

Diagnosed T2 June 2011 - A1C 6.9
November 2011 - A1C 5.8
500 mg Metformin Once a day
Diet and Exercise
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,648
Topics: 552
High Fives: 1,844
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Cough Syrup

Spinning_Lass wrote:
I have a Dr. Appointment on tuesday so I will be asking her this question too, but I was curious about the thoughts here.

I have a cold, stopped up, sore throat, and coughing. You know, the typical head cold. I've taken Delsyum one night and Robatussin one night. Both caused my bg# to rise to 146 and 142 respectively. It this bad? Is there something else that some of you take that doesn't do this?

What were your numbers before you took the medications?

Testing isn't just for meals, whenever you try anything, including medications, it's good to find out how much of a rise (if any) it might cause.

It's been my experience that the small amount of sugar in cold medications isn't enough to make much of a difference really.  Of course you have some advertised as "for diabetics" and warnings on labels for diabetic.  But that's usually just to change more for "diabetic" and a CYA for the other notations.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
Spinning_Lass
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎10-24-2011

My numbers before were 96 and 101 and I tested several times and the peaks were the 146 and 142. I hear just being sick can have an effect as well. True?

Without hope you cannot start the day.

Diagnosed T2 June 2011 - A1C 6.9
November 2011 - A1C 5.8
500 mg Metformin Once a day
Diet and Exercise
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Sonning Lass wrote

I've taken Delsyum one night and Robatussin one night. Both caused my bg# to rise to 146 and 142 respectively.

Well pure granulated sugar has 4grams of carbs per teaspoon, so your cough syrup would have less than that.  How many teaspooons of cough syrup did you take at a time?

Yes being sick will cause your blood lgucose to rise, as will any medical stress on the body. So that is am ore likely cause--or something else.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,688
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,223
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

My logic is to do whatever you would normally do to get over the cold and sore throat. The numbers you describe are not serious enough to be a concern but letting the inflammation continue is.

Get well soon; the sooner you do the sooner your numbers will improve whether or not you use cough syrup.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Super Advisor
debit202
Total Posts: 1,607
Registered on: ‎01-10-2010

[ Edited ]

Lass- there are many cold remedies in pill form- I suggest trying one of those-

I had a cold recently sore throat,achy body, massive coughing ,stuffed up nose etc.

I took the tablets as prescribed and the symptoms,for the most part went away.  Remember to drink plenty of fluids- helps to flush out all the nasty stuff.

Feel better!

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

dx 12/2009 a1c7.4  3/2011  aic 6.6 long way to goto 5% club next a1c oct. 2011

Frequent Advisor
mbkjad
Total Posts: 181
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

Spinning_Lass

Definitely not an expert and there are others a lot more knowledgeable than me.

When first diagnosed I bought into some of the marketing hype, "Diabetes" stuff (various versions of cold medicines, etc) that were more expensive and no way near as effective (at least they didn't feel that way).  Gave up on that after the first winter when I noticed the effect that the overall illness had on my numbers.  The medicines might be responsible for some of it but the illness was more responsible IMO.  Take what worked for you before, knock the symptoms down, and get to feeling better quicker.  That will get everything back to that even kilter we like.

Mike

Mike

Diagnosed Type 2 March 2008 (give or take a few months)
A1c: 6.4 (May 2013), 6.2 (Feb 2013), 5.9 (Nov 2012), 5.7 (Aug 2012) 6.5 (31 Jan 2012)
Meds:
Metformin XR 2000 mg daily
Lovaza 2 grams daily
Lipitor 10 mg daily
Fenofibrate 165 mg daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Novolog
Zyrtec
Multivitamin
Began Pumping in June 2013
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I take bee propolis as both a preventative and when I feel the first sign of a scratchy throat, which pretty much knocks those on the head right away, as well as protecting me from colds in general when everyone around me is sneezing an coughing all over the place.

For coughs, when it's absolutely necessary, I take sugar-free cough syrup (it doesn't taste the best, but which cough syrup does?).  Or, I get a script from my Dr. for SF syrup with a little codeine to help me sleep.

You do need to read the labels of OTC syrups - or anything else you ingest - even vitamins can have carbs.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,343
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

xenablue wrote:

I take bee propolis as both a preventative and when I feel the first sign of a scratchy throat, which pretty much knocks those on the head right away, as well as protecting me from colds in general when everyone around me is sneezing an coughing all over the place.

For coughs, when it's absolutely necessary, I take sugar-free cough syrup (it doesn't taste the best, but which cough syrup does?).  Or, I get a script from my Dr. for SF syrup with a little codeine to help me sleep.

You do need to read the labels of OTC syrups - or anything else you ingest - even vitamins can have carbs.

Cheers,

xena

Good to see another fan of bee propolis. :smileyhappy:  The tablets I take smell awful, but they work well on a sore throat.  I just suck on one of them whenever I start to get a little scratchy.  I don't take a lot of supplements, but propolis seems to have warded off most colds for the last few years, so I'm a big fan of this one. 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. January 2014 A.1 5.6 metformin 500mg twice daily
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Talvie wrote:

xenablue wrote:

Cheers,

xena

Good to see another fan of bee propolis. :smileyhappy:  The tablets I take smell awful, but they work well on a sore throat.  I just suck on one of them whenever I start to get a little scratchy.  I don't take a lot of supplements, but propolis seems to have warded off most colds for the last few years, so I'm a big fan of this one. 

YAY Talvie!!! I've been a propolis fan for many years!  I've found some really excellent ones at www.thenaturalshopper.com - no icky taste with them.  I also bought a tin of the propolis chewing gum, which is great at that first sign of scratchy throat.  

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5