Frequent Responder
ko_bear
Total Posts: 72
Registered on: ‎08-11-2012

Coping with stress

I have several ways I deal with stress, but it seems like food is still a major one, even if I use my other coping strategies.  I just feel out of control right now, with eating, with spending, with lots of unhealthy things to deal with stress.  Any ideas please for how to deal with stress - without going to food.  Like I said, I have a lot of coping strategies, but feel so out of control right now that even when I do use them, I am not able to control my impulses to eat junk and spend money on stuff I don't really need.

Diagnosed with GD 12/2010
A1C on 12/05/2012 was 5.5
Tested with A1C of 6.1 on 8/1/2012 (found out 8/8/12)
Trying to control with diet - not on medications - testing and keeping track of numbers currently at my peak time (45 minutes after finishing eating, and prior to meals)
Still learning
Please excuse typos, my tablet isn't always the easiest to be accurate while typing
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,548
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: Coping with stress

Ko_bear wrote:

I have several ways I deal with stress, but it seems like food is still a major one, even if I use my other coping strategies.  I just feel out of control right now, with eating, with spending, with lots of unhealthy things to deal with stress.  Any ideas please for how to deal with stress - without going to food.  Like I said, I have a lot of coping strategies, but feel so out of control right now that even when I do use them, I am not able to control my impulses to eat junk and spend money on stuff I don't really need.

I guess that last sentence rules out shopping (for clothes, say, or houselhold items) as a way to relieve stress...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,532
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Ko_bear wrote:

I can only speak for myself.  I used to be an avid emotional eater.  I'd eat when upset, bored, tired, sad really any given time.  Since I started working out regularly after dx, I noticed that a vigorous (making me breath heavy) workout had a surprising, to me, relaxation effect.  It calms my mind like nothing else, I have tried yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, etc. with some success but nothing like heavy exercise.  Now when I feel any anxiety coming on, I increase my intensity a bit and voila, feeling a whole lot better.

I don't know if you workout regularly or not, but if you don't I would not suggest to work out with too high an intensity until your body adjusts to it.  As I said, this is what I have discovered as working well for me.  The nice bonus with it is that I hardly need my Clonazepam anymore.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Established Advisor
bugbarb
Total Posts: 553
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

I'm in similar shoes, so to speak.  I have a lot of stress and uncertainty in my life right now, so much so that my A1c went from 5.4 to 9 in the past couple of years.  

I am considering making exercising a priority, going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings and continuing to see my therapist.  Oh yes, decreasing or stopping eating peanut butter would be helpful.  I must address all aspects of myself, spiritual, physical and psychological in order to attain the balance that will allow me to stop depending upon food.

Too much of a good food will raise my blood glucose.
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

I, too, tend to use food as an emotional stabilizer. I like the idea of exercise. I do feel better after. Just have to get myself to do it more often. Wish my knees would let me do more. Another thingis browsing on this forum. Keeps me in mind of complications and reminds me that I am not alone in the struggle.
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)