Responder
finecabernet
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎11-24-2010

Constant sleepiness

Does anyone else experience this? It has been really bad this week. But I've been eating well (for the most part), and exercising at least 15 min. everyday, and my numbers are good (between 135 to 150 fasting and in between, which is normal for me).

Thoughts?
Advisor
hondrigata1
Total Posts: 557
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Constant sleepiness

Without alot of information to go on, a fasting of 135-150 is a bit high. I can only assume that your daytime numbers might also be high if the 135-150 is your baseline to start the day with. If you are spiking higher than those numbers, it could very well explain the sleepiness. There is a wealth of information on this site as to testing and carbs, exercise etc. Maybe a call to your Dr. would be best to discuss and a possible check to see what is going on blood sugar wise. Lin 
Clean eating low carb diet and exercise, cardio/weight training plus Tennis, Body Combat and Zumba 6 days a week. 500mg Metformin;2X; A1C 6.8 of 3/1/2014
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Constant sleepiness

Actually those numbers are high enough to cause the sleepiness.  While they may be normal for you, they really are too high for anyone's fasting number.

Have you started any new medications lately?  What medication (if any) do you take?

It would be good if you could tell us more about when you test and the numbers, as well as your typical diet.  You don't have to, but it would give us more information to try to help you.

Lizzy  
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
finecabernet

Constant sleepiness

I was diagnosed in late November, and have been on Metformin 1000 mg since, which I take at night. I'm pretty compliant food wise, and while I know the numbers still aren't what they should be, they have slowly but steadily come down. Typical diet is eggs and a protein (bacon or sausage, and cheese) on an English muffin for breakfast; lowfat lunchmeat (turkey this week) and cheese for lunch, with maybe an orange or sugar-free pudding; and perhaps a frozen dinner in the evening with 2-3 carb units. Snacks are nuts and peanut butter, and some dark chocolate.

Yesterday I fell asleep at my desk for a bit, and was fairly unproductive at work.

I'm due for my first three month this Wednesday, and I suspect I will get put on another med (discouraging since I have lost some weight, cheat only occasionally and even then not severly, and have been fairly active).
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,093
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Constant sleepiness

With breakfast, you might want to try cutting down to only half the English muffin, or perhaps even doing away with it entirely. Use your meter (read Lizzy's testing link) to figure out how that works. For myself, if I'm experiencing a high FBG, I find just going with the meat, eggs, and cheese will work well in the morning.

At lunch, the orange is high carb (fructose), so cut that back. Maybe try just a quarter at first. The sugar free puddings might not have added sugar, but they do have carbs...generally starch to thicken them. So that's another thing to watch for. It's also one of the dirty little secrets of many sugar free or no sugar added products, they have carbs in other forms that we still need to watch for.

When you say 2 -3 carb units for dinner,  just what are they?

After reading Lizzy's testing link you'll have a good idea on how to test before a meal, at your peak after a meal, and therefore be able to figure just what effect that particular meal had on your BG. With that info, you can begin to make educated choices on what to eat, and how much of it
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Constant sleepiness

When you say two or three carb units do you mean 15 grams per unit?  Most of us find it easier to just count the grams in each food.

It quite possible that your numbers are spiking with meals.  When you say you're "pretty compliant food wise" that makes me think that you're following a diet given to you by someone.   You really don't know how your body is reacting to how many carbs you eat unless you test.  The Testing 101 link below will give you more information on a method that has helped many of us gain control of the numbers.  You also haven't mentioned exercise - another great tool for lowering numbers.

Please read the links below and come back and ask all the questions you might have.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
finecabernet

Constant sleepiness

Thanks for the advice. My diet is compliant with what the dietician set out (She gave me 2-3 carbs for breakfast, so the English muffin is two carbs; 3-4 for lunch, so the small orange is two; and I always keep between the 3 to 4 carbs for dinner). My guess is that I have to go below their recommendations to get my numbers down further. But what I'm doing is so hard now I can't imagine it.

Sigh. Darn pancreas and diabetic genes.
Frequent Responder
rbrugler
Total Posts: 457
Registered on: ‎12-02-2010

Constant sleepiness

Are you on anything to augment the met?  You might talk to your dr about either doing that, or increasing the met.  The other thing is that in my experience, if I have a fasting # over 100, I keep my carb intake to less than 10g at breakfast.  The English muffins I eat are 22 g.  So,there are days when I do not  have them, but that does not happen often.  On my days over 100, if I would have so many carbs, I would be sleepy too.

Ron from Cleveland
Responder
finecabernet

Constant sleepiness

Responder
finecabernet

Constant sleepiness

That's great to know (about keeping carbs lower if they are over 100 in the morning, which they always are).

And yes, perhaps the guides the dieticians aren't quite working for me (though how I can go lower, I can't imagine).