Responder
laelia
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎08-05-2010

Comparing Glipizide and Glyburide

I have a question about Glipizide and Glyburide. How similar are they?

I ask because in 2005, my doc tried me on Glipizide and I had EXTREMELY low BG afterwards. He had to take me off the meds because of it.

We moved in 2006 and I have a different doc. But recently, she suggested Glyburide for me. A little research on the 'net indicates the two drugs are very similar. I'm a little bit scared to take the new drug for fear of having the same reaction.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

They are very, very similar. However, the dose plays a massive part. If you need something to help you, why not start with a very small dose and see how it goes. What dose does your doc want you to take?
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,545
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Very similar.

Glipizide, however, also comes in an extended release version, Glipizide XL. this doesn't hit you all at once but is released over the course of the day

In a way it is like the difference between background, or basal insulin, and meal-time or bolus insulin...and works well for me. Still possible to go low, but a lot less likely and more predictable--for me it only happens with extreme exercise or too much alcohol, factors ai can easily account for.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
laelia
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎08-05-2010

kdroberts,
when I took Glipizide Tabs orginally in 2005, I started with 5MG and when I called the doc to let him know that my BG was consistently dropping (below 60), he suggested cutting the pill in half. I tried that and continued to experience severe drops in BG with "insulin reaction" results (shaking, sweating, incoherent). It would happen so suddenly that I would have little time to get some sugar in me. The Glyburide she is suggesting is also 5MG. What's the difference in doses? One requires more to work as effectively?

MOriss,
Maybe an XL version would be better for me. I've been taking Actos (with good results) but because there is not a generic and I'm trying to save some money, we are looking at alternatives. If the two drugs (Glipizide and Glyburide) are so similar, we may have to keep looking.

Thanks to you both for your feedback.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,545
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Mine is Glipizide XL 2.5 mg, which I take twice a day...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...