Long Lost Member
jpf777777@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎12-29-2009

Cold feet, cold hands and hurting legs

I have been a diabetic for 4 years and have been handling my numbers pretty good with an A1C between 5.7 and 6.0.

Over the last year I find that my hands and feet are cold a lot and the only way to heat them up is to soak in a hot tub. I had my feet tested and the nerves are still OK.

From time to time I also get aching in my calves when the feet get real cold. In October I had thyroid surgery and had the left side removed. I doubt that is causing the problem and wondered what I could do about it.

Ideas?
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Greg Herman (12/29/2009)
I have been a diabetic for 4 years and have been handling my numbers pretty good with an A1C between 5.7 and 6.0.

Over the last year I find that my hands and feet are cold a lot and the only way to heat them up is to soak in a hot tub. I had my feet tested and the nerves are still OK.

From time to time I also get aching in my calves when the feet get real cold. In October I had thyroid surgery and had the left side removed. I doubt that is causing the problem and wondered what I could do about it.

Ideas?

There are several possibilitles, so I think you will have to work with your doctor to figure it out. Here are the ones I thought of right off the bat:

1. Low thyroid. I suppose that since you have recently had thyroid surgery that you doctor is monitoring that, and prescribing thyroid pills, but you may not have the optimum level yet.

2. Weight loss. A thinner layer of fat will provide less insulation for your body.

3. Circulation problems in your legs and feet. Over time, high blood sugar can damage the smallest blood vessels and gradually reduce circulation and also damage nerves that are not being properly feed by the blood vessels.

Now, I'm not saying that any one of these is your problem, but they are some of the kinds of things a doctor might consider.
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Hi and Welcome Greg

You posted your message in the Type 2 Archives Board which it looks like some older messages are being filed away from our old message board. I have just stumbled across it here so perhaps if you posted it again in the Type 2 General Discussion Board you would get more responses, not that there was anything wrong with the excellant one you already have.
Long Lost Member
kdons1
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎02-07-2010

My legs and feet hurt all the time when I first was diagnosed as diabetic. I finally gave up aspertame-equal sweetner found in all diet sodas and teas. I also gave up ham-pig meats to try to solve the pain ( I work on refrigeration and HVAC). As it was making my job very uncomfortable. Aspertame turns to methane then into formaldihide as your body processes it wich your body cannot get rid of. Ham was supposedly the most unclean animal as it would eat trash or another pig. It turned out the pain went away. I eat pig sometimes in pork fried rice and in wonton soup and don't have any pain but I aviod aspertame in anything I eat. This is based on facts, there were studies done on guini pigs twice that caused brain tumors in the guini pigs but they were ignored and the sweetener was fast tracked thru the FDA for aproval by big wigs.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,462
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Greg Herman (12/29/2009)
From time to time I also get aching in my calves when the feet get real cold. In October I had thyroid surgery and had the left side removed. I doubt that is causing the problem and wondered what I could do about it...........

Hi ~ you might want to get checked for Raynaud's. Can read more about it HERE
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5