Established Contributor
rocketbob
Total Posts: 268
Registered on: ‎10-17-2011
Helpful Response

Cleanse

So a good and hefty friend of mine wants me to go on a "cleanse diet" with him saying I can eat all the bananas, oranges and grapes that I want in addition too of course vegetables such as squash and split pea soups which if I ate are two things which would soon be cleaning the wrong end of the digestive tract. Its not that there's anything wrong with them other than my tongue savoring a better taste. As for the fruits, I did my best to explain that although I can eat them it is only in a less than satisfying serving size. In other words, in this man's diet one does not have a fork full of banana creme pie or half a pancake with half a teaspoon of real maple syrup. I further went on to explain the challenge is in the number of carbs more so than the type of food and that even good foods can be off limits if too much of this or that is added such as the copious amounts of salt my friend likes to add to his favorite pea soup. I also expressed my doubts about this cleanse working the same on everyone explaining how as a child I loved eating prunes by the bagful. So much so, that years later when some jester left a plate of Ex Laxed brownies out at a mill where I once worked, the whole night shift soon went to pot while I who had more than any noticed nothing at all. Afterwards I was branded the ex lax kid who for years remained impervious to common laxatives until diabetes and metformin loosened my resolve so to speak. Nonetheless, I was able to finally get my friend off the topic when I told him I wasn't doing anything until I saw my doctor this Tuesday with the results of my a1c. I have no problem with diets in general other than the preponderance of diets that claim to be a cure for nearly every affliction known to man or the cause of them. Another friend with diabetes has been extolling her new veggie diet and how it has lowered her cholesterol, but her latest a1c was 7.8 compared to a previous 7.4. I felt like saying when your down to 5.5 i will look at your diet, but we are all different and compared to her exercise routine I am a couch patato commander. Anyway, thats my story for the night as I am ready to blast off with the sandman. Any diet suggestions i will file in the morning. Thanks ..... Rocketbob.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,833
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,011
Solutions: 112
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Cleanse

[ Edited ]

I would tell your friend that those of us who have diabetes and already embrace the concept of getting plenty of fiber in our diets (not to mention the possible effects of metformin) have colons of the continuous-self-cleaning variety. The human digestive tract is not like a pipe with an accumulation of sludge on its walls.  It's a clean pinkish-tan with ridges  and tiny little villi that help to sweep the waste material along.  I know. I saw it on the monitor during my colonoscopy.  No additional cleaning needed :smileylol:

You may be able to tell that I don't have a lot of patience with the idea of "cleansing".

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Established Contributor
rocketbob

Thanks Molly. Yours is pretty much the response I expected even though my friend I am sure will remain flush with ideas.:smileyvery-happy:

Trusted Contributor
MORRISOLDER
Total Posts: 10,499
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Bob--

I think your reaction to his suggestions politely said it all.... or said enough anyway. Of course you could argue about the efficacy and desirability of colonic cleansing or any diet in general, but by pointing out that with diabetes you have different criteria and tolerances means that you can avoid trying to convince people that diet x is the best thing in the world that they might be wrong. All  you need to say is that is wrong for you, and here is why.

And of course you know a lot more about how diabetes works than they do...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,833
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,011
Solutions: 112
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

To be a little less flippant than my original answer, I will say I agree with Morris, that you don't really need to stir up unnecessary animosity by trying to convince your friend of the value of your own approach vs his, but you do have a good case for asking your friend to respect that you have a different point of view about what is best for you and your diabetes.

I suppose my answer is really more about asserting to myself that my viewpoint make the most sense for me, and that I am free to have my own viewpoint.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Established Contributor
rocketbob

Thanks again Molly. Theres no anomosity between my friend and I over this issue even though there are quack diets promoted all the time some of which can be harmful to diabetics.

Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,665
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Hey, exlaxkid (aka rocketbob),

I like your old nickname! (Can you tell?)

I ceratinly get tired of hearing cleansing (and other) diets recommended for everyone regardless of their medical conditions or personal preferences, but what can you do? It sounds like you handled it well. I usually think of what I'd like to say long after the conversation is over!

However, there are other things I hear more often that I find more annoying (like people trying to get me to eat "just a bite" of this or that when I don't want to or shouldn't eat any at all, or people monitoring what I eat, or telling others what I can/can't/shouldn't eat, etc). I find myself rarely talking to anyone about diabetes 'cause I'm just tired of trying to explain/educate/enlighten, but of course, that has its own frustrations.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,831
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,517
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

mollythed wrote:

I would tell your friend that those of us who have diabetes and already embrace the concept of getting plenty of fiber in our diets (not to mention the possible effects of metformin) have colons of the continuous-self-cleaning variety. The human digestive tract is not like a pipe with an accumulation of sludge on its walls.  It's a clean pinkish-tan with ridges  and tiny little villi that help to sweep the waste material along.  I know. I saw it on the monitor during my colonoscopy.  No additional cleaning needed :smileylol:

You may be able to tell that I don't have a lot of patience with the idea of "cleansing".

Yep. One of the few pleasant things about having a colonoscopy is the ability to say afterwards that your innards are bright and shiny - the doctor has pictures to prove it :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for your helpful advice when I had mine.

PS @Bob. You might find a casual way to explain to your hefty friend why you have regular A1cs and suggest he might benefit from including one at his next physical.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
AZ2010
Total Posts: 90
Registered on: ‎10-07-2012

I havent had that issue with Metformin. I wished I had a little bit of it. Lol...more fiber to be added I suppose.

----------------------------

Lauralee
Type 2 DX'd 2010
Metformin 500mg 2 pills 2x a day for Diabetes
Lisinopril 5mg 1x a day for HBP
Clonazepam 1mg 2 a day for Anxiety
Cyclobenzaprine 10mg 3x a day for Fibromyalgia
Pro-Air as needed for Asthma
Last A1C test - 9.5
Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,144
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

That kind of cleanse would cleanse me of my money spent on a ER visit.  

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy: